SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P938 with an ambi safety. If I practice the draw, I flip the safety off when I first place my hand on the grip and begin to draw. I carry IBW. I find that if I fully draw the gun before flipping off the safety, the skin under(on the palm side) of my first finger sometimes gets pinched between the safety and the grip panel. If that happens, the safety does not switch off.
Curious as to what others do.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I had to run it through my head but I'm pretty sure I flip it when my support hand comes in contact with the pistol which would put it about high chest height to chin on its way up to eyes then out. Could be as late as when it hits eyes. Hard to tell now that I'm thinking about it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been training myself to flip off the safety as I grip the gun while drawing out of the holster. This way I can be ready to shoot as soon as it's out of the holster or from the hip if needed.

I am left handed and use my left thumb to work the safety. I carry OWB if that makes a difference...I have never pinched my skin yet. Now that I type that out loud, I will pinch myself next time at the range...LOL

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I have not carried a SA gun in a long time, but when I did I trained to disengage the safety after I cleared the holster b/c I did not want to take a chance on putting a round into my leg.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
When the pistol is at about 45 degrees from horizontal as it's coming up. That way it has cleared my feet and is pointed mostly down range. By the time it's all the way horizontal my grip is fully and firmly established.
For 1911s, this.
As I'm planing the gun out and coming up on target I flip it off.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I have a P938 with an ambi safety. If I practice the draw, I flip the safety off when I first place my hand on the grip and begin to draw. I carry IBW. I find that if I fully draw the gun before flipping off the safety, the skin under(on the palm side) of my first finger sometimes gets pinched between the safety and the grip panel. If that happens, the safety does not switch off.
Curious as to what others do.
What safety? :p

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
For me, With the 1911's I had, Booger Hook was off of bang switch, Tight grip on weapon with fingers 2, 3 and 4. Thumb snaps safety off, when weapon is at a 45 degree angle toward floor in front of me, as I am bringing weapon to align sight to target.

My Revolvers and my CZ 75 never were on.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
In competition, most release safety while drawing always keeping the trigger finger indexed until on target. As long as you keep that finger indexed, I don't see a problem with having the safety released during the draw.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
For you guys dropping the safety before your firearm is on target or pointing down range, please get to a firearm safety class immediately, before it's too late.
The majority of pistols used today don't even have that type safety, so it really isn't necessary to wait until the pistol is on target to drop the safety. Good trigger discipline is much more critical, IMO.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For you guys dropping the safety before your firearm is on target or pointing down range, please get to a firearm safety class immediately, before it's too late.
Here is your answer...

In competition, most release safety while drawing always keeping the trigger finger indexed until on target. As long as you keep that finger indexed, I don't see a problem with having the safety released during the draw.

Keep trigger finger off of trigger until you shoot. You should get training if you put your finger on the trigger before you have a target or as you draw. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I shot a 1911 in competition with the likes of Mike Voight back in the 80's and 90's. I know a number of competition shooters that would take issue with safety off as the pistol is on it's way out of the holster. THAT is dangerous and NOT a good practice. We ALWAYS practiced safety off as the hands come together and pushing the muzzle towards the target. It is NOT faster to snap the safety off as you draw. Get the gun out there moving towards the target. Same with the trigger finger. Keep it off trigger until in firing mode. Lots of practice will yield good, fast muscle memory. Practice Practice Practice.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.