SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier about my new M18 in all black. After 3 range sessions I simply dig this weapon. I carried different Sigs in my career, all P Series guns. I was also issued Glocks and while they worked, they never instinctively pointed well for me, always high. So I got the M18 on a good deal, and couldn't be happier.

In doing my research on the M18 on line I saw a lot of posts by so-called experts degrading the M18 for various reasons. One guy went on and on about the mag dropping out because he's left handed. Well, swap the mag release. Then he continues on coming across as a Glock rep. "Get a Glock 19" he keeps saying. Well, I sold my Glock 19 and my Glock 43 after shooting my M18. The Sig fits my hand better, I prefer the trigger, and like the manual safety (I also carried a 1911 for 9 years on duty). Some folks said they didn't get the extra 21 round magazines, and had to jump through some hoops to get them. Mine came with all 3, so maybe that was an older problem?

Some of the reviewers never even mentioned accuracy, they seemed to just throw rounds down range. Mine is pleasingly accurate, and only has 150 rounds through it. I did have to get used to the trigger, and dry fired it quite a bit. But now I prefer it over the Glock triggers.

To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I posted earlier about my new M18 in all black. After 3 range sessions I simply dig this weapon. I carried different Sigs in my career, all P Series guns. I was also issued Glocks and while they worked, they never instinctively pointed well for me, always high. So I got the M18 on a good deal, and couldn't be happier.

In doing my research on the M18 on line I saw a lot of posts by so-called experts degrading the M18 for various reasons. One guy went on and on about the mag dropping out because he's left handed. Well, swap the mag release. Then he continues on coming across as a Glock rep. "Get a Glock 19" he keeps saying. Well, I sold my Glock 19 and my Glock 43 after shooting my M18. The Sig fits my hand better, I prefer the trigger, and like the manual safety (I also carried a 1911 for 9 years on duty). Some folks said they didn't get the extra 21 round magazines, and had to jump through some hoops to get them. Mine came with all 3, so maybe that was an older problem?

Some of the reviewers never even mentioned accuracy, they seemed to just throw rounds down range. Mine is pleasingly accurate, and only has 150 rounds through it. I did have to get used to the trigger, and dry fired it quite a bit. But now I prefer it over the Glock triggers.

To each his own I guess.
yeah Hickok45 does that.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Haters will hate brother. I'm with you and because of you I managed to get my black M18 under Sigs APP. Like you I love the weapon. The only thing I changed was the trigger to GG adjustable, and X-Ray 3 sights. I do that with all my Sig P-Series DA/SA. Never fired a glock nor want to. Besides looking cheap and ugly, alot of the gang bangers loved them, why because they are cheap. Sig is night and day over glock because it truly is modular. I did handle glocks when I arrested the owners. Didn't care for the trigger, nor how it fit in the hand. I don't begrudge glock owners but not for me. Sigs are what were issued to me, and I carried them for years on-duty and off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haters will hate brother. I'm with you and because of you I managed to get my black M18 under Sigs APP. Like you I love the weapon. The only thing I changed was the trigger to GG adjustable, and X-Ray 3 sights. I do that with all my Sig P-Series DA/SA. Never fired a glock nor want to. Besides looking cheap and ugly, alot of the gang bangers loved them, why because they are cheap. Sig is night and day over glock because it truly is modular. I did handle glocks when I arrested the owners. Didn't care for the trigger, nor how it fit in the hand. I don't begrudge glock owners but not for me. Sigs are what were issued to me, and I carried them for years on-duty and off.
Glad I could influence you on another Sig purchase. Maybe you can repay the favor soon!

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
In doing my research on the M18 on line I saw a lot of posts by so-called experts degrading the M18 for various reasons. One guy went on and on about the mag dropping out because he's left handed. Well, swap the mag release. Then he continues on coming across as a Glock rep. "Get a Glock 19" he keeps saying.
This sounds like Facebook people (the Walmart People of the Internet)
Are you hangin' out on Facebook ?
If so, don't do that.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
I like watching Hickok45's reviews.
He has always been rather favorable to Sig's.
He's also honest if he likes it he will tell you why and if he does not he will yell you that too.
The P365 was his EDC for awhile and he may still carry it.

I did not see an actual M18 review but he has a couple of reviews on the M17 and the M18 is just the Shorter Barrel Version.

He Likes the M17..

MAC Likes the M18:

Don't ask me why but there are Sig Haters, Glock Haters, etc..etc..
The P320 Platform is just a Solid Performer in any Version!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I have both the M17 and M18 and am extremely pleased by their handling and accuracy. I do believe the M17 with the longer barrel controls recoil a bit better but the M18 is no slouch. The primary thing for both of these weapons were their intended purpose, military sidearms and I believe due to their modularity they will be able to do that for many years.

Reactions: paularmola

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I’ll go with a 320/M17-18 all day long. I had a Glock 19. It’s a fine gun but it tore my knuckle up. To the point I had to stop shooting on the firing line. I dremeled the trigger guard didn’t help a bit. I traded it on a P10C because I already had a 320.

The only gun so far that I had a malfunction with(stove pipes) was the Glock 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
67 Posts
There have been issues with the P320 with drop firing and according to some who have taken SIG Armorer’s courses have opined that the M17 and M18 still could have issues despite the safeties.

I’ve not disassembled my FCA yo assess sear engagement and observe how the safety blocks the trigger bar and not the sear - according to those in the know.

I pray this is not the case as I like both pistols. A LOT.

Is it my favorite?

No, not really. I do adore the Glock 45 MOS and CZ P-10C OR and the FN 509T more so and I am crazy about the latest Beretta 92 G-Series offerings (with Langdon Trigger Jobs) and the CZ P-07 (Cajun Gun Works Pro Grade). And who cannot love a well-built 1911??

But none of that matters. The SIG P320 shoots very well! At least for me. I like the shape and placement of the external safeties as well!

My one gripe is the PVD coating appears to be sub-par. I’m contemplating sending both my slides to ATEI to have Richter apply their PVD coating that they use on Glocks.

But first I need to confirm if Glock still Melonites their pistols before coating - then see if SIG does. If SIG does not then I’ll have the slides Melonited then re-coated FDE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a M-18 I bought a Wilson Combat grip and the new red dot Romeo 1 pro slide.

I got a chance to shoot it out doors. I thought I shot pretty well considering my screen name. A 28 year old shot it very well. 15 yards about a 5 to 6 inch group on a splatter target. He was also sighting in his 300 PMC rifle at 100 yards. He shot the M-18, 17 round mag And hit 12 by 12 inch board all 17 times. With 5 shots hitting a small splatter target at 100 yards.

Then Grandpa 73 years old who has never shot a red dot or a pistol since he was in the navy in the sixties. He said he qualified sharpshooter in the Navy. We only had one target an it was pretty shot up. He found a 20 gauge shotgun shell, stuck it on a stick in the ground.
Walked back 15 yards an hit the shell on his second shot. I set it up again and he hit it a total of 3 times with one 17 round mag.

I then tried shooting 15 yards at the 20 gauge shell and missed 17 times as did the 28 year old. The M-18 is a very accurate pistol in the right hands...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Having started out shooting very accurate Colt 45s and revolvers, when the Glock came on the market it was nearly unshootable other than to throw ammo at a backstop. Shortly after the introduction of the Glock all the Self defense/combat shooting started being popular that really emphasized speed and horrendous groups over accuracy. That is fine as the self defense shooting is going to be quicker than target shooting. This then allowed thousands and thousands of mediocre to pretty bad shooters to go to the range and shoot rapidly shotgunning the target. Since this was now the "new" way to shoot, it was deemed ok, by most people. I never got into Glocks as I can not shoot with the grip angle they have and terrible trigger. Also I could never shoot great groups with a Glock. But, if it someone else's cup of tea that's fine with me. I have not shot the new Sig M-17/18 but I imagine it shoots very well and is great for shooters that have trouble with the Glocks. Oh and no matter what until you change out the Glock trigger for a full aftermarket one, the trigger is horrible.

So, not bashing Glocks, they just are not for me. They are great for people who shoot twice a year. Of course, there are always pro-shooters who can make a Glock sing after firing 100,000 rounds through them. I just wasn't that patient with it. My new little baby Colt 45/Sig P238 is very accurate and fits my hand perfectly. I can make that gun sing! Oh wait, did I get off topic?

I would never!

·
Registered
66 Posts

To each his own I guess.
If you like it great!

I trust this guys review.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Having started out shooting very accurate Colt 45s and revolvers, when the Glock came on the market it was nearly unshootable other than to throw ammo at a backstop. Shortly after the introduction of the Glock all the Self defense/combat shooting started being popular that really emphasized speed and horrendous groups over accuracy. That is fine as the self defense shooting is going to be quicker than target shooting. This then allowed thousands and thousands of mediocre to pretty bad shooters to go to the range and shoot rapidly shotgunning the target. Since this was now the "new" way to shoot, it was deemed ok, by most people. I never got into Glocks as I can not shoot with the grip angle they have and terrible trigger. Also I could never shoot great groups with a Glock. But, if it someone else's cup of tea that's fine with me. I have not shot the new Sig M-17/18 but I imagine it shoots very well and is great for shooters that have trouble with the Glocks. Oh and no matter what until you change out the Glock trigger for a full aftermarket one, the trigger is horrible.

So, not bashing Glocks, they just are not for me. They are great for people who shoot twice a year. Of course, there are always pro-shooters who can make a Glock sing after firing 100,000 rounds through them. I just wasn't that patient with it. My new little baby Colt 45/Sig P238 is very accurate and fits my hand perfectly. I can make that gun sing! Oh wait, did I get off topic?

I would never!

You lost me there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
I love my M17. It's ergonomic, points nauturally, controls recoil well, has an excellent trigger and has been perfectly reliable. Same goes for my P320C .45. The manual safety is neither here nor there and IMHO only exists on the civilian version to make it an authentic reproduction of the military version. The only thing not to like is the way they designed the rear sight/RX cover plate, but I can overlook that for the many features I do like.

Some reviewers are honest enough to say it's a great gun, but they don't prefer it, or are just used to Glocks so that's what they prefer. A lot of the actual hate I've seen is nothing more than Sig-haters doing what they do. Some are still butt-hurt over Glock losing the MHS contract to Sig. There have been controversial reports of unintentional firing and some QC issues, but Glock has had their share as well. Not everyone prefers Glocks, and while Glocks are great, they aren't the only sturdy, reliable, capable platform out there.

My next Sig will have to me an M18. Just need to find ammo to feed it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts