SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wifey is saying she wants a carry gun and she would like a SIG of some sort so we can have His and Hers SIGs. We checked out the P238s at the gun show in town yesterday and the size is perfect for her wee little wifey hands. The only thing she didn't much care for was the SAO. (I'm also not a huge fan of .380s, but I understand a .380 is better than nothing.) She says she prefers the DA/SA system for safer carry, but that could also just be my influence over the last 16 years since that's my preferred action for carrying. So while researching DA/SA compacts and subcompacts this afternoon, I stumbled across the P224. We had looked at the SIG site and didn't see the P224 listed, so I'm assuming it's no longer made. Was it too heavy for its size and just fizzled as a carry option? Was it redundant due to the P239? Something else?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Wifey is saying she wants a carry gun and she would like a SIG of some sort so we can have His and Hers SIGs. We checked out the P238s at the gun show in town yesterday and the size is perfect for her wee little wifey hands. The only thing she didn't much care for was the SAO. (I'm also not a huge fan of .380s, but I understand a .380 is better than nothing.) She says she prefers the DA/SA system for safer carry, but that could also just be my influence over the last 16 years since that's my preferred action for carrying. So while researching DA/SA compacts and subcompacts this afternoon, I stumbled across the P224. We had looked at the SIG site and didn't see the P224 listed, so I'm assuming it's no longer made. Was it too heavy for its size and just fizzled as a carry option? Was it redundant due to the P239? Something else?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Ditto on Sigsrok's suggestion of a P225A1, or a P239 in 9mm. Both are single stack 8 round capacity. With Short "Reach" Triggers, and G-10 grips either one should be closer in size to a 238/938 than the 224 which was a double column magazine (wide), but shorter than the others, to alleviate the "butt" of the weapon from "printing" under a covering garment.

· Premium Member
4,593 Posts
Ditto on Sigsrok's suggestion of a P225A1, or a P239 in 9mm. Both are single stack 8 round capacity. With Short "Reach" Triggers, and G-10 grips either one should be closer in size to a 238/938 than the 224 which was a double column magazine (wide), but shorter than the others, to alleviate the "butt" of the weapon from "printing" under a covering garment.
I agree with these suggestions. I have the p224 Extreme 9mm, p239 SAS 9mm, and p225-A1. All good guns. Can't go wrong with the 239 or 225A1 for grip size and smaller hands.

· Registered
1,794 Posts
Was it too heavy for its size and just fizzled as a carry option?
It is all metal, compared to various Glocks, S&W models, Springfield Armory (am I leaving someone out?) of the same size- so that probably was a factor. But the weight absorbs that .40 recoil nicely in my hands, it's a soft shooter. It certainly is a little heavy for IWB carry unless you have a good holster and belt; on my hip, I barely notice it.

Was it redundant due to the P239?
I wouldn't say that; it's not really similar to the P239. More redundant to the P229, of which it's the chopped-down version. There's never really been another SIG small compact double-stack that I'm aware of except the P250/P320 sub-compact configuration; and those aren't available in DA/SA. (And with their polymer frames, the 250/320 are somewhat lighter as well; perhaps this is an element in why they continue to be so popular.) The 224 sort of tried to carve a niche all to itself as a backup gun for LEOs that already carried a P229 and wanted to economize on mags, but that niche wasn't nearly big enough to sustain it with so many other small compact 9/40/357s available.

On its own merits it's a fine gun in either DA/SA or DAK configuration, but again, the market is flooded with fine guns.

Something else?
In mid-2013 SIG hit a run of bad extractor assemblies on the P224 line, which resulted in failure to feed jams in guns made over about a 6-month period. Some would feed if you gave them a slight nudge into battery; the worst cases jammed irrevocably, unable to even remove the round stuck on the extractor. Mine was somewhere in the middle; some brands of ammo would feed without an issue, others would go in if I smacked the slide, and Federal rounds, for whatever reason, stuck dead unless I dropped the mag out and cycled the slide open.

But SIG worked the problem, fixed their extractors, and anyone with this issue could send their 224 in and a new assembly would be fitted, along with polishing the feed ramp and, in my case, milling a cut-out in the frame just below the ramp where the rounds were bumping and dragging on their way to the chamber. It was not an instant process and some owners sent their guns back multiple times; SIG insisted each time they were fixed, the owner each time insisted they were not. This started a lot of threads on this very forum. Some insisted they would never touch a P224 again, some even swore off SIGs altogether. In my case, one trip back to the factory fixed the problem; but I was lucky that my issues came after the time when these troubles were first being discovered and fixed. I can understand how that was a frustrating era.

So, yeah, there was "something else". Many (some who never even handled one) have it in their mind that the P224 is an unreliable design. I even read in one of those threads that Bruce Gray supposedly thought the recoil spring wasn't powerful enough. Maybe so; but since getting its new extractor, mine has been perfectly reliable.

So that's the story as I know it of the P224; a fine subcompact that just never quite found its place, and was a victim of bad publicity to boot. Hope this helped.

· Registered
3,044 Posts
It's a great gun. I like the way it carries a little better than the p239 because of the grip length, plus mine has piranha grips and to me the combination of that and the thicker grip allows more controllability for shooting .40 than the p239. It really does feel a lot like the p229 in the way it shoots, very well balanced for being so chopped down.

Now the bad, it is chunky and heavy. The DA trigger seems considerably longer than a p239 or classic Sig, more like a p250. Mine had the extractor problem (got it fixed) and can be a little finicky with certain p229 mags and certain kinds of ammo. It will be harder to find mags now that it is discontinued, certain parts may dry up in the future, unless it is under warranty.

I think it is cool that the slide rides partially on steel rails, not too sure about the Bruce Gray comments or if there may be possible design flaws. To me, I think it's just a tank of a Sig and probably will be used by my grandchildren when I'm gone.

Not sure why it was discontinued, probably just wasn't much demand for it since it is kind of a Sig guy gun, not much else. And it is twice the price of a lot of what's out there for folks new to the carry/handgun market.

· Premium Member
4,593 Posts
Also, a similar sized double stack in DA/SA that is lighter than the p224 is the p30sk and the Berretta PX4 subcompact if weight is an issue.

Or just go single-stack like a p239, or p232 in .380 or other .380s like a Bersa. Or DAO like the LC9
Good suggestions. I just told my husband today that I plan to get rid of my P250SC 9mm because I've got my HK P30SK and they are so very similar.

· Registered
1,794 Posts
Good suggestions. I just told my husband today that I plan to get rid of my P250SC 9mm because I've got my HK P30SK and they are so very similar.
Let me make you a deal... ;)

Reactions: SlySleuth

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So that's the story as I know it of the P224; a fine subcompact that just never quite found its place, and was a victim of bad publicity to boot. Hope this helped.
That most certainly did answer my questions. Thanks for the detail, DarthPaul!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll have the wifey check out the P239, too. But if she ends up liking the feel of the P238/P938 better, then I guess she'll just need to learn how to properly use a SA pistol. (Which I know she can do... she's a shooter. :) )

And, I ain't gonna lie... I was also eyeballing the HK P30SK as an option. The wifey really likes the idea of us being able to have "SIG carry days" when we go out together, but I also have HKs... so while a SIG carry day would be preferred, I'm pretty certain I can live with an HK carry day if the P30SK ends up being a better fit for her. :)

Reactions: Blu and SlySleuth

· Registered
4,192 Posts
Also, a similar sized double stack in DA/SA that is lighter than the p224 is the p30sk and the Berretta PX4 subcompact if weight is an issue.

I went with the HK P2000SK .40 and love it. It's a hair smaller than the P30. I just got its holster broke in and carried it yesterday for the first time. The wife and I were on the road by sun up hiking in The Big Thicket. It was a long day and my P227 is just too heavy for that long of a day.

· Registered
3,044 Posts
That most certainly did answer my questions. Thanks for the detail, DarthPaul!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll have the wifey check out the P239, too. But if she ends up liking the feel of the P238/P938 better, then I guess she'll just need to learn how to properly use a SA pistol. (Which I know she can do... she's a shooter. :) )

And, I ain't gonna lie... I was also eyeballing the HK P30SK as an option. The wifey really likes the idea of us being able to have "SIG carry days" when we go out together, but I also have HKs... so while a SIG carry day would be preferred, I'm pretty certain I can live with an HK carry day if the P30SK ends up being a better fit for her. :)
Hey, if your lady wants to carry a Sig, by all means, the p224 is a great choice. Don't let us dissuade you. It's one of my top carry guns.

The p238/p938 is popular I think with women because they are really slim and small. I guess I would think if that's all she'll carry, then it's a good choice. If SAO seems like a bad option, I guess there are always Kahrs, LC9/LCPs, p290, etc.

· Registered
470 Posts
I'll be "that guy".

I hated my P224. It was reliable, yes, but it didn't do anything my M11A1/P228 couldn't do...except worse. I really, really wanted to like it too. But, it was too much of a compromise to me. It really reminded me of the M&P9c that I had years ago. Reliable, accurate little gun that I could never warm up to because the slide size wasn't proportional to the grip size. If you're going to have a compromised grip, you should have a small slide. The P224 does not.

If you're serious about the P224, look at the M11A1 or used P228 if you want to shave a few ounces off the slide. Much better utility all around.

· Registered
500 Posts
Why get a 239 or a 225A1? Seriously, it is the size of a Glock 19. Go small or not at all. Everything is a compromise, smaller grip, easier to conceal and maybe not as easy to shoot. The 229 is almost a full size gun and for sure not easy to conceal. If you aren't used to carrying a gun, get the smallest gun you are comfortable with.

· Registered
550 Posts
Either the P225A1 or P239 in 9mm is like comparing apples to oranges against the 224, an eight shot single stack to a twelve round double stack, the 224 holds half again as much as either of them.
The 225A1 weighs 30.5oz the 239 is 29.5oz and the 224 is 29oz these are empty weights so the 224 will be slightly heavier than the 239 and about the same as the 225A1 when loaded but again four more rounds.
I have a hard time wanting to carry a gun that holds less ammo and is nearly identical in weight.;)

Reactions: ni hao

· Registered
3,044 Posts
I have a p228 in the rotation but the p224 gets picked quite frequently over it. That grip length makes a big difference for concealment and comfort, at least for me. And when you look at how the p224 9mm carries 12 rounds compared to the 13 of the p228, it kind of makes the p228 seem a little obsolete (even though it's not, it's only one of the greatest handguns created by God or man).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.