SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sirsigalot here......

What's up fam, just brought my first ammo can with 900rds of 9mm in it, so I was wondering is it ok to store loose ammo in a steel ammo can for storage and if so how long and what temp should it be stored at.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I don't know the temperature ranges ammo can be stored at but a rule of thumb I have heard is "if you are comfortable so is the ammo".

·
Registered
60 Posts
I store all of my bulk ammo in GI Ammo Cans or Plastic ones. The ammo cans are stored in a cool dry closet near my safe. I also cycle my ammo on a regular basis so Long Term Storage is kind of a misnomer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am shooting some 9mm that had been in my safe since 2001. about 600 rds when I found it. due to a bout with cancer I couldn't shoot for several years but I am well enough to get back to the range there is only about 100 rds left. I think as long as you are comfortable the ammo is fine.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Ammo can in a cool dry place. I store mine in military style metal ammo cans at the bottom of my safe.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My Grandfather gave my Mother a Winchester rifle in 44-40 back in the 1920's. After she died, I inherited it. I have ammo from the 1970's that had been stored in my dresser that still fires every time. When I was in basic training in 1970, we were firing .50 cal from WW2. As long as your ammo is kept dry, it should last 30 - 50 years.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I will also go with dry, cool or room temp storage in sealed cans. I will offer this experience... if you purchase gun show reload .223, do not put it into long term storage. I purchased some .223 at an estate sale that had been bought in 1999 in preparation for the Y2K apocalypse. The case necks were split on over half of it. When you shoot, resize, reload, repeat the brass in the areas that get worked and reworked repeatedly gets very brittle. The tension of a seated bullet is actually working the brass also. This is why military ammo is specified to be annealed and the discoloration must not be polished from the brass. Annealed brass is softened just enough that it can be stored indefinitely without the splitting problem. Just a heads up for everyone. I also vacuum package shot shells, I feel they are far more susceptible to moisture damage than brass cartridges.

·
Premium Member
18,466 Posts
Sirsigalot, I have some very lonely ammo. Yours would make mine more comfortable. I'll PM my address to you.

I am shooting some 9mm that had been in my safe since 2001. about 600 rds when I found it. due to a bout with cancer I couldn't shoot for several years but I am well enough to get back to the range there is only about 100 rds left. I think as long as you are comfortable the ammo is fine.
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm glad you are back to shooting again! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.