SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
SIG/ZEV/Icarus P365XL Custom
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen that the older 365's don't like anything steel case or with hard primers because of previous striker issues. I'm curious what everyone here uses for their ammo. Have you had better performance or reliability out of one brand over another? What should I use? What should I stay away from?

More than anything, I'm very interested in SIG's specialty ammo made specifically for the 365 (both FMJ and JHP). Does anyone have experience using this ammo long term or 500+ rounds? Is it, in fact, more reliable or higher performing? Reduced recoil? Got lots of questions here.

For reference, I have a P365XL with a ZEV Octane slide and a Custom Works FCU. I typically like to use 15rd mags for capacity purposes. Planning on getting the Lightning Strike firing pin just for ease of mind.

·
Registered
843 Posts
For target shooting, my P365 has worked with everything, 95 to 158 gr, all brands and bulllet types. I prefer 124gr at the range, but I’ll shoot whatever I can get. I carry it with Federal HST +P 124 gr, which feeds great. I don’t buy steel cased, so don’t know about that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My favorite ammos are Lawman 124gr and Sig 124gr for practice. Though I've shot other brands without any issues.
Sig V Crown 124gr for carry.

Reactions: mj9mm and FastCars

·
Registered
711 Posts
P365, P365XL, P365x, approximately 2,000 rounds total over the last 18 months: Federal American Eagle 124 FMJ / Blazer Brass 124 FMJ (range/match ammo), or Federal HST 147 JHP / Speer Gold Dot 124+p JHP (self defense ammo). Zero malfunctions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For range ammo, I use whatever 115 gr. I have on hand. For carry I usually use Sig 124 V Crown. I have never had an issue with any ammo however.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've shot ~ 900 rounds through my P365MS. I always shoot 147 grain bullets (FMJ and JHP) of various brands (all brass case or nickel plated brass case) and never had a malfunction. Sig Sauer shot 115 grain FMJ to function test my gun and had no malfunctions.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I've been trying to buy Sig's 365 ammo for a year for my P365XL. Only once did I see the JHP available and bought the 5 boxes allowed. Never seen it available since, and have never seen their FMJ in stock. Rare stuff!
I hear it's the best, but haven't used up some of my tiny allotment yet to test that...

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've been trying to buy Sig's 365 ammo for a year for my P365XL. Only once did I see the JHP available and bought the 5 boxes allowed. Never seen it available since, and have never seen their FMJ in stock. Rare stuff!
I hear it's the best, but haven't used up some of my tiny allotment yet to test that...
I shot a couple boxes of their 365 ammo a couple of years ago. Shot great, but I also haven’t seen it on a store shelf since then

·
Registered
486 Posts
V-Crown is a great round, from my experiences and reading. Never ran the actual 365 stuff. I typically run Blazer 115 gr FMJ for range, and Hornady Critical Defense for carry. 1 malfunction in thousands of rounds. No biggie.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I've had my P365 for about 9 month and have fired about 1,000 rounds, all of it reloads.

Zero problems once I cleared up the striker spring retainer issue that was the subject of my first post here.

My EDC round is the 124 grain V-Crown from Sierra over 7.5 grains of Blue Dot, and my favorite plinker is the 124 grain X-Treme plated FP over 5.0 grains of CFE Pistol.

Not sure which I like more, reloading the ammo or shooting it... :cool:

·
🎖USAF Retired
4,552 Posts
This is like asking people what their favorite color is. Everyone will have a different opinion. For instance I only carry what the Local Police carry. In my case it’s Sig V-crown 124gr. It’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me.. And that’s exactly what I would say in a courtroom.

·
Registered
437 Posts
For me the formula is easy...
Whatever comes cheaper to practice and never had a problem with my XL, it will digest everything I fed her!
Carry ammo Hornady Critical Defense 115 grains...

·
Super Moderator
P365/P365XL
884 Posts
I've seen that the older 365's don't like anything steel case or with hard primers because of previous striker issues. I'm curious what everyone here uses for their ammo. Have you had better performance or reliability out of one brand over another? What should I use? What should I stay away from?

More than anything, I'm very interested in SIG's specialty ammo made specifically for the 365 (both FMJ and JHP). Does anyone have experience using this ammo long term or 500+ rounds? Is it, in fact, more reliable or higher performing? Reduced recoil? Got lots of questions here.

For reference, I have a P365XL with a ZEV Octane slide and a Custom Works FCU. I typically like to use 15rd mags for capacity purposes. Planning on getting the Lightning Strike firing pin just for ease of mind.
Couple of years or so before I retired, one of my Deputies bought a P365 for his off-duty weapon. It was made within the first 6 months (give or take) of the P365 being introduced. I don't recall it every choking on anything except some of the steel case stuff like Wolf. I got my off duty P365 around a year later so it had the updates. Mine ate everything including the cheapest, dirtiest steel case stuff I could find (as I wanted to put it through some vetting). I have not had an issue with any ammo. That includes training, qualifications and Outlaw matches. I still use the same SD round that I was issued which is the 124+P Speer GD.

·
🎖USAF Retired
972 Posts
I've fired everything I could get my hands on thru mine (2000+ rounds) with only one FTF (from a box of 115gr FMJ Browning), including one box of Barnaul Steel Cased. No issues other than the one FTF. My favorites would include S&B 124gr, Norma 124gr, Aguila 115gr, and Federal HST JHP 124gr. But that's only because they were the cheapest in my area pre-shortage.
Can't help with these specifics, I've only bought one 20rd box of V-Crown JHP and have not fired any of those yet.
So, you've got a P365XL frame and the everything else is from third party vendors? Capacity is a plus for secondary/backup magazines but the 12rd mags are better for concealed carry.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I bought a bunch of that 365 ammo last fall and still have some around. It does have a softer recoil & is less snappy, but there is not a huge diff. between that & the V-Crown.
I have not seen it available on their site in a long time now. Not sure why given they put the R&D into developing it and there seems to be demand, perhaps not as much as they had hoped, so they just focus on the V-Crown ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
after i bought my p365 this summer, i went to the range with a pretty good assortment. 115 through 147's, Federals, Blazers, WWBox, Remingtons,Hornady Critical Defense, Sig V Crown, i know there were some more but not remembering right now. anyway, not one problem. i cleaned and lightly oiled it before shooting, and i was very pleased with it's performance. i'm thinking it will probably handle any manufactured ammo. as an aside, earlier this past Spring, my Shield plus was given the same test and performed the same, except for the V Crown, which i hadn't obtained yet.
i am very happy with both pistols....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A local shop had a pile of the SIG 365 ammo on hand, long before the current craziness. I bought a fair amount, and still have some. Clocked it in the 365s, 1100'sec+-, almost the same as my practice handloads.
The factory stuff has less muzzle flash than my reloads. Good stuff, but I've seen none since.
I shoot away my carry ammo every once in awhile, and 'ride the slide' when chambering. Yeah, I know that's a no-no, but the 365 is so smooth cycling that it saves pounding the chambered round. Mine will chamber a sized casing from the magazine.
Moon

·
Registered
547 Posts
My XL has not had an issue with any range ammo (I have not shot any steel case through it). Similarly, it has digested multiple brands and weights of defensive ammo w/o any issue.

I carry Hornady Crit Def and Sig 365 V Crown in it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.