SIG Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending where you read the discription on the grips for the sig SAS p938 it either says Goncalo or Walnut. So how do we know what's on our gun? Mine came with dark wood but I see lighter colored ones in some pics.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Depending where you read the discription on the grips for the sig SAS p938 it either says Goncalo or Walnut. So how do we know what's on our gun? Mine came with dark wood but I see lighter colored ones in some pics.
The grips for the Sig p938 are made by Hogue. To the best of my knowledge they only make the wood grips for p938 in two versions - Darkwood and Rosewood. I do see in the latest Sig online catalogue that the SAS model is supposed to have Walnut grips. Sig is notorious for making changes to their product offering and deviating from the specs in the catalogue. Did your SAS model come with the Darkwood or the Rosewood grips? My Equinox came new with the Darkwood grips. I also have a set of the Rosewood grips as well as the Black Rubber wraparound grips. I have never seen the Walnut grips in the flesh?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Walnut.
Obviously, organic material (especially wood) varies in grain structure and color. When I purchased an SAS, my LGS had 7 of them in stock. They were kind enough to open a few of the boxes and let me pick which one I preferred. All were different colored hues of Walnut. Some light some very dark.

One of them had grips with a lighter color on one side and darker on the other. That one went home with me.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
13,752 Posts
My first inclination, would look to the decal on the case to see if it may provide a clue.

My next one would be to post a picture, so you could get opinions...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I replaced mine with G10. The wood checkering was starting to smooth from carry.
Did you use the same Grip screws that came with the gun? The reason I ask is that Hogue (they make most of the grips for Sig handguns including the G10 grips) states in their web site that there are two different length Grip screws for the p938. A longer screw for the wood style grips and a shorter length screw for the rubber and G10 grips.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did you use the same Grip screws that came with the gun? The reason I ask is that Hogue (they make most of the grips for Sig handguns including the G10 grips) states in their web site that there are two different length Grip screws for the p938. A longer screw for the wood style grips and a shorter length screw for the rubber and G10 grips.
Yes that is true. I have read that if you use the same screws you can use washers or #60 o-rings to take up the extra screw length.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back to the original topic. The grips on my P938 are also quite dark. You can see from the below image that they are quite a bit darker than any shown on Sig's catalog. I did call Sig and they confirmed that these are walnut grips. The newer models have much darker wood. That's just the way the colors from their grip supplier are running right now.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
13,752 Posts
Walnut would "normally" be darker than Goncalo Alves, "but" it all depends on the darkness of the stain used, and the amount of "figure" in the wood.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
My P938 Sport, that I got new in 2013, came with Hogue Rubber grips...bought Goncolo grips from SIG, same as SAS model...not sure what the wood is now....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.