SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

馃帠USAF Retired
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a developing situation, where things seem to be getting more risky, how soon would you unholster your gun?

Or, should you? Wouldn't that desire be the signal that you should already be leaving?

Where are you in assessing circumstances and what decision to make? 16 million new gun owners aren't expert by any means and they need some carefully considered advice for civilian gun carriers.
Some answers to the quote above from another thread started me thinking about this. If you cannot/should not draw your weapon without 1) an imminent deadly threat or 2) facing charges of "brandishing", what utility does a tactical light bring? Perhaps having one on your bedside HD weapon is a good idea but how does that apply for EDC?

Super Moderator
P365/P365XL
There are no absolutes. A 'situation' doesn't come in a pre-packaged format and can have a thousand different variables. While it's good advice to 'stay holstered' there have been/will be scenarios where that isn't the best option. Even for a private citizen.

A WML has the basic purpose of target identification which is not a bad thing.

I've detailed my injury in a couple of other threads, suffice to say that last summer I only had the use of one hand. I literally could not hold a piece of tissue much less any type of flashlight. So this is where I found a WML on my EDC to be useful as it was my only option available if light was needed during a situation. It was there if it was needed, if it wasn't it didn't have to be used and only added 1.1 ounces to the package which is pretty much negligible.

As a result, I don't have a WML on every pistol I might carry, but I do have a couple of platforms readily available should the need arise.

So this is basically one of those topics that can cause quite a debate. I see it as a WML has a purpose. That purpose is reasonable and prudent in real world situations but not necessary in all real world situations. Since we don't get to pick and choose which real world situation we may find ourselves in, a WML is a simple way to be prepared for it's use if it becomes necessary. And while holding a flashlight in the support hand sounds viable...it isn't always possible.

Registered
On the answer鈥 there isn鈥檛 any.. some use a light a lot don鈥檛.. nightstand gun may have one.. I have one on my 12ga next to the bed鈥 but in the middle of the night鈥 try this鈥 turn on your light/flashlight YOU ARE BLINDED鈥

Registered
Some answers to the quote above from another thread started me thinking about this.
If you cannot/should not draw your weapon without
1) an imminent deadly threat or
2) facing charges of "brandishing",
what utility does a tactical light bring?

Perhaps having one on your bedside HD weapon is a good idea but how does that apply for EDC?
While I have a weapon light on bedside/HDC pistol,
I resisted putting one only on my carry pistol for just this reason.

I carry a separate EDC flashlight to identify potential threats,
as drawing and pointing my pistol at someone or something merely to identify it seems unwise at best.

Registered
that depends on where you life takes you on a daily basis.
in an emergency, a light can be detached if needed and used like any other light.

Reactions: hauki

Registered
My EDC does not have a light on it. I am not out at night and do not venture into dark venues without ambient light. My larger home defense gun does have a light on it. My experience is that lights are "generally" used as a search tool. If you are not actively searching, but rather acting defensively (most likely with an EDC), there is little value in my opinion.

Premium Member
I'll repeat what I said in the last 5 threads on this topic - a WML and a handheld flashlight have different functions. Most people who question the appropriateness of a WML are assuming the idea is that you would be using it in the same way that you use a handheld (i.e. - for "searching"), which is incorrect (professional applications aside).

Registered
My EDC does not have a light on it. I am not out at night and do not venture into dark venues without ambient light. My larger home defense gun does have a light on it. My experience is that lights are "generally" used as a search tool. If you are not actively searching, but rather acting defensively (most likely with an EDC), there is little value in my opinion.
there is some good logic behind this, and i would think that for many if not most, the ability to conceal and draw quickly is more of a priority than having a light. on the other had, having a laser might have uses or advantages in situations that are more likely than needing a light in a self defense situation.
in the end, it still comes down to each persons situation and method of carry.

Registered
As the boy scouts would say, be prepared. I have multiple p365's for a reason, one with a streamlight. Reason it is necessary for me, I'd rather have the benefit of having the light (I don't care about the laser, and would never trust my life on a laser sight) to come prepared for any situation should it arise (no matter how rare). The worst case is I ignore the flashlight completely upon the draw. The best case is I can actually see what is in front of me if I am out at night and to know what my target is, and beyond that. I have family in some remote areas in Maine, and it gets very dark at night. Animal threats are also something to consider.

馃帠USN Veteran
Sig P220, P226, P227, P228, P365XL, P365XL, M400 TREAD, 716i TREAD, 516 G2 Patrol, MPX K
I don鈥檛 carry a WML, but I do carry a flashlight on my belt. As has been said, positive target identification is critical, but I don鈥檛 want to have to draw just to be able to see what鈥檚 going on. That鈥檚 how accidental shootings happen.

Registered
Because I am responsible for being able to identify my target and what is in front of or behind it and I may not always be in control of my environment around me nor have two hands available.

while it is unlikely (as is having to actually use my carry gun), there are situations where a WML could prove beneficial. Think holding kids or something to that effect. In the event I have to use my weapon, a bright white light can blind and disorient and give me a split second to obtain an advantage and/or dissuade an assailant before I break the shot.

the cost is minimal in terms of weight or space so I really don鈥檛 see any drawbacks. I also carry a handheld light. It is nice to have options.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts