SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This also applies to putting any long mag in a sorter gripped configuration.

So at a match I accidentally joined team push it harder and am now the owner of one very broken and stuck that way x-5 legion. It did not take nearly the amount of force I imagined.

And my take away is ***?!?!? Why the hell did you do this sig?

So, if you want to see the source of the problem, Take your slide off, and take a mag with some dummy rounds in it (or live, I'm not seeing how you could accidentally kaboom with the slide off the gun, but hey don't be an idiot and be safe). You will note that there is very little clearance between the bullets and the ejector.

The ejector is also just a bent piece of metal form the FCU.

Then look at your legion mags. They, unlike the normal 320 mags, have nothing about the base plates to prevent over insertion, ESPECIALLY if not using the magwell.

If you slam home a mag hard, you bend the ejector.

Then look at the slide. You see that divot carved into the slide? yeah that will trap the now bent ejector.

And when it does, you can't get the slide off your gun and the gun can't cycle fully.

RIP my legion in less than 1000 rounds. Gotta see if I can get the ejector bent out of the way through the magwell.

Note, I'm far from the first person to have this problem. i even have a spare FCU in case I got bit. I just did not think it would be quite that easy to bend it and more importantly did not realize it would trap the slide on the gun.

Seriously sig, why is that oval hole even there?

If anyone has any good suggestions on how to get the slide off, I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Call Sig..
It's a Legion let them repair it.
They will send you a Fedex Label and you will probably have it back in a week running as good as new.
Especially if something is bent

·
Registered
726 Posts
This also applies to putting any long mag in a sorter gripped configuration.

Then look at your legion mags. They, unlike the normal 320 mags, have nothing about the base plates to prevent over insertion, ESPECIALLY if not using the magwell.

If you slam home a mag hard, you bend the ejector.

WOW. Sorry to read that.

I thought that the mag release assemble mating with the hole in the side of the mag (not the baseplate) limited the mag's upward movement no matter how hard the mag was slammed in.

I guess that I will be more careful...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I assume you are calling the protruding metal portion of the FCU the “ejector” by your description since the ejector is actually part of the slide and easily replaced.

I am sure SIG CS will fix it for you...

I am really surprised it bent so easily, I’ve slammed the 21rd mags into my P320 that have not insertion stop with the magwell very aggressively and so far so good...

Good luck getting it fixed soon and back so you can continue to enjoy it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having a hard time seeing this issue. Withh the slide off I can not insert a mag all the way home. I have a later production X5 without the LCI. There is no way to take down the X5 with a mag inserted.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that there are "work" guns and there are "pretty" guns. Not that I'd ever own one, but Glock makes a pretty ugly gun, but the reputation they have is that they're stronger than dirt.

My son-in-law just bought a P320 X-5 Legion, and loves it. He hasn't yet put it through its paces (thanks, COVID!), but his job requires that he qualify every year, even though he doesn't need to carry. We'll see if his is a "pretty" gun that replaced his "work" gun (Glock 19 g4).

·
Registered
846 Posts
but the reputation they have is that they're stronger than dirt.
I had the slide fall off our standard duty G23 Gen 3 handgun. Not a high round count the G23 was frequently having this issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I assume you are calling the protruding metal portion of the FCU the “ejector” by your description since the ejector is actually part of the slide and easily replaced. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ejector is part of the FCU. The extractor is part of the slide.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Call Sig..
It's a Legion let them repair it.
They will send you a Fedex Label and you will probably have it back in a week running as good as new.
Especially if something is bent
Yeah, probably minus my upgraded trigger components. There's also the issue that others have run into which is that it is not quite right afterwards because of repeated bending. That and it being a serialized part has made Sig's response to it a bit underwhelming, which is basically "here, we bent it back, if it breaks again it's on you".

WOW. Sorry to read that.

I thought that the mag release assemble mating with the hole in the side of the mag (not the baseplate) limited the mag's upward movement no matter how hard the mag was slammed in.

I guess that I will be more careful...
Mag catches are never a tightly fit part, there is always play. It's also kind of like running over a pot hole. Go fast enough and you sort of skip over the top rather than plant the wheel into the bottom of the pot hole. Same thing with the catch.

Common problem with some 1911s and magazines.
Sorry about your gun
It really isn't. I've never experienced the issue on any of my 1911 or 2011 platform guns. and I have closing in around 100k rounds through them. I've been competing for about 17 years, and did the match director type stuff for 4 of those. I've seen on 1911 go home with a FUBAR ejector. And that was because they were using those stupid wilson mags with the welded on stop and it ceased to be welded on during a mag insertion. And things happened. But yes, 1911s are designed to have the mag be in charge of limiting over insertion. But heck, even if you DO break an ejector it is a replacable part and not one piece with the serialized frame.

I assume you are calling the protruding metal portion of the FCU the “ejector” by your description since the ejector is actually part of the slide and easily replaced.

I am sure SIG CS will fix it for you...

I am really surprised it bent so easily, I’ve slammed the 21rd mags into my P320 that have not insertion stop with the magwell very aggressively and so far so good...

Good luck getting it fixed soon and back so you can continue to enjoy it...

The thing in the slide is the extractor. It is hook shaped and PULLS the cartridge out. The ejector is the bent metal bit on the FCU. it PUSHES the shell out. They work together to get the spent case3 out of the gun.

The 21 round mags won't over insert into a stock full sized 320 because the base pad wraps around the tube and prevents over insertion via interference. They also won't over inser into the legion with the mag well as far as I can tell. The tabs that mate up with the notches in a standard grip are tapered and work like a wedge with the mag well.

I'm having a hard time seeing this issue. Withh the slide off I can not insert a mag all the way home. I have a later production X5 without the LCI. There is no way to take down the X5 with a mag inserted.
Yeah I'm going to try and produce pictures to explain. I've ordered a longer, sturdier pick than I own to see if I can get the slide off. We'll see how it goes.

I have come to the conclusion that there are "work" guns and there are "pretty" guns. Not that I'd ever own one, but Glock makes a pretty ugly gun, but the reputation they have is that they're stronger than dirt.

My son-in-law just bought a P320 X-5 Legion, and loves it. He hasn't yet put it through its paces (thanks, COVID!), but his job requires that he qualify every year, even though he doesn't need to carry. We'll see if his is a "pretty" gun that replaced his "work" gun (Glock 19 g4).
I love the ergonomics on the legion, I shoot it very accurately. With the gray guns trigger kit in it, it is even starting to work out for shooting fast and accurate for me. But then it took a dump. I'd recommend NOT using the factory base plates on the 17 round mags unless using the mag well. Without the mag well some standard base pads with the "wings" removed may be the deal. That's the setup for the xcarry grips and such.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The 21 round mags won't over insert into a stock full sized 320 because the base pad wraps around the tube and prevents over insertion via interference. They also won't over inser into the legion with the mag well as far as I can tell. The tabs that mate up with the notches in a standard grip are tapered and work like a wedge with the mag well.
I am talking about the 21rd mags on my P320
X-Compact with the OEM grip module where there is definitely no stop other than the mag catch and ejector. Even the 15rd mags have a slight gap between the mag floor plate and the grip, they don’t really touch all the way. I’ve slammed the 21rd, 17rd and 15rd mags pretty hard into the x-compact and so far so good (did have to check to make sure).

I truly hope SIG fixes it quickly for you and definitely something to keep an eye out for everybody...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mag catches are never a tightly fit part, there is always play. It's also kind of like running over a pot hole. Go fast enough and you sort of skip over the top rather than plant the wheel into the bottom of the pot hole. Same thing with the catch.
Good to know.

I guess that's why it's TAP, Rack, Bang instead of SLAM, Rack, Bang.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My Legion P320 will not over insert the factory magazines (Henning Group base plates) with the magwell funnel is installed. I have not removed the magwell funnel from mine, so I can't comment on that scenario.

If you remove the magwell funnel and like to slam your magazines home, you will probably want to use the standard SIG plastic baseplates to see if that will prevent this issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am talking about the 21rd mags on my P320
X-Compact with the OEM grip module where there is definitely no stop other than the mag catch and ejector. Even the 15rd mags have a slight gap between the mag floor plate and the grip, they don’t really touch all the way. I’ve slammed the 21rd, 17rd and 15rd mags pretty hard into the x-compact and so far so good (did have to check to make sure).

I truly hope SIG fixes it quickly for you and definitely something to keep an eye out for everybody...

Sig just bends it back. I can just bend it back. Sig will tell you to go scratch if they can't bend it back. I can say "hmm that isn't working" just as well as sig. So unless sig changes their mind and will warranty the 4798027th time it happens or redesign things and is willing to destroy the FCU and reserialize a new one so I don't have to wait months to get a new permit to get my gun back with a different serial number, wel... I'll just take care of it myself.

That being said, after poking at it more, I've come to the conclusion that the issue is a combination of mags that don't prevent over insertion AND slamming a mag home hard on a slide lock reload. With the slide in battery, I don't think there is enough clearance to deflect the ejector enough to deform the metal permanently.

I unfortunately do not live in free america, so all this stuff becomes a giant pain in the ***. Worst case I have a spare FCU. If you live in free america, you can snag spare FCUs for less than the cost of shipping a pistol.

So first some pictures and how to get the slide off if this happens to you. Spoiler: it does not involve an extra long pick.

So as far as I can tell, what happens is with the slide locked back, the mag bends the front part of the ejector up while the back part is held down by the slide. The ejector now rides against the slide causing a failure to return to battery. The ejector now acts like a leaf spring and because of that hole labeled above (or the big oval slot depending on which variant of the slide you have), when you try to rack the slide, it pops into that hole and you can't fully retract the slide. Which sucks.

This is possible because there is NOT a lot of clearance between the ejector and the magazine, especially if actually loaded. (and yes you CAN insert a magazine with the slide off, just return the take down lever to it's operating position, trip the trigger and pull up on the slide catch. I'm not even sure you need to trip the trigger.)

As you can see there is little clearance with the magazine, and no clearance with the bullets. If your springs wear and you suddenly find your mags being +1 mags? I'd be REAL concerned about slide lock reloads. I'd also be real careful with legion mags, and putting on baseplates to the 21 round mags that don't wrap around like the factory ones.

Below you can see what damage was actually done. It's not a heck of a lot, but your gun is now a brick.

So, what's the magic to get it off? Well, first you grow a third hand. Then while holding the slide back as far as it will go, you remove the striker plate cover, striker, extractor spring, etc. The cover and strike HAVE to come out. you take the rest out to avoid losing stuff while you absorb the reality that you cannot grow a third hand. Return the slide to battery. Then you get your set of feeler gauges. Mine were tapered, really wide ones won't fit. Break out the .022" gauge or thinner. There's a big rectangular cutout where the rear of the striker assembly goes. You can stick it in there, and work it under the ejector side of the slide and get it between the slide and ejector. It will not make it to the end. Scoot the slide forward while keeping the gauge in place. Really wish you had a third hand. You should now be able to push the guague in further. Rinse and repeat until you manage to push the ejector down enough that the front does not interfere with that hole pictured above and you can now rack he slide all the way back. With this last move you explicitly do not want to try and keep the gauge in place but to let it slide back with the slide.

Do not let the slide forward before tripping the slide catch or you get to do that all again.

I managed to do it with just two hands and a lot of cursing, but rolling up a shop rag and shoving it in the ejection port to limit forward slide travel probably would have helped it suck less.

Now I have to get it bent back to a usable position.

Fun times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How in the hell are you getting a mag fully in the magwell without the slide on the frame? This is not possible on my X5 Legion.

The take down lever positioned to the rear prevents this. And even with the slide off and the take down lever forward, I still can not fully seat a mag.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How in the hell are you getting a mag fully in the magwell without the slide on the frame? This is not possible on my X5 Legion.

The take down lever positioned to the rear prevents this. And even with the slide off and the take down lever forward, I still can not fully seat a mag.
Just give the slide lock lever a flip up that will allow the take down release and allow the mag to then be inserted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had not paid enough attention honestly when I had my FCU out to realize that the ejector was not a pinned in part to the FCU.

I guess this is a drawback of such a modular pistol where the grip module is not the serial numbered part. It is unfortunate as an ejector can break, etc (even without issue mentioned by the OP with the hole in the slide that can catch the bent ejector).

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
It would be VERY expensive but Sig should do a recall and figure out a fix for this. It is obviously a design flaw, or am I missing something?

Reactions: WildBilly
1 - 20 of 33 Posts