SIG Talk banner

What is the best carry gun/caliber?

6212 155
This question is not intended to be a troll post! Or a caliber debate! It is simply based on a few recent threads, some with a lot of data involved. My question is simple, what is the best frame / design/caliber that is most reliable and most proven worldwide in modern handgun use?:unsure: I'm not trying to start any trouble here, I understand that I am on a Sig Sauer forum, and that some bias May skew responses. Not going to list this as a poll question, I've had problems with that before just curious!...ABBO!!!
Reactions: SAL
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s certainly ideal if living in a perfect world but for me, not an issue. I am not recoil sensitive with the big 3 (9mm/357/40) so whatever the difference is, it’s not enough to cause adverse training issues. Especially between 40 and 357. One of my main firearm skill sets I always strived to achieve was to be able to grab and fire any semi automatic handgun cold and effectively utilize it. Goes without saying nothing will ever be the warm fuzzy blanket that are my P226 and P229s but having practiced with a slightly different “big 3” caliber shouldn’t be THE thing that took me down in an SD encounter. Especially when practicing with the same P226/P229 platform. There are those here who will say I’m crazy. Act accordingly based your personal situation/abilities etc.
I'm not recoil sensitive to 10 mm BUT the glock 29 shoots differently than the p365x. I guess that's more my point. So I practice a lot more with the p365x. If all guns shot the same we'd really only need one or two.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I'm not recoil sensitive to 10 mm BUT the glock 29 shoots differently than the p365x. I guess that's more my point. So I practice a lot more with the p365x. If all guns shot the same we'd really only need one or two.
Well, the scenario I was addressing was more related to the 357 edc question as 357 FMJ is scarcer and expensive. 40 is close enough to 357 for range time. If you’re edc is a 365 then we are taking 9mm so moot. Buy a bunch of reasonably priced 9mm and off you go. If your edc is a Glock 29 10mm than practice with 40. While not a perfect scenario, it should provide a close enough experience to where you should be able to perform with your G29 in an SD situation. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Don't Be too shocked, there's a lot of 357 Sig carriers out there for a reason. There's plenty of ammo out there for those of us that need it. Plus on top of that many of us reload as well as have a 40 cal Barrel on hand for drop in. Personally I'm not going to let a few bucks get in the way of carrying the best handgun chambered in the best caliber for my personal protection!;)
I would not wanna be the guy who forgets to swap in the .40 barrel and loads a .40 mag...

·
Registered
577 Posts
This question is not intended to be a troll post! Or a caliber debate! It is simply based on a few recent threads, some with a lot of data involved. My question is simple, what is the best frame / design/caliber that is most reliable and most proven worldwide in modern handgun use?:unsure: I'm not trying to start any trouble here, I understand that I am on a Sig Sauer forum, and that some bias May skew responses. Not going to list this as a poll question, I've had problems with that before just curious!...ABBO!!!
Whatever above .22LR and below .44 Mag that you can shoot well.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not going to get into weeds about this whole caliber debate thing.

What it ALL boils down to is SHOT PLACEMENT. Period.
This is a close second: a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact with LTT upgrades. In fact, if we're talking .357 (or .40) the P229 wins. If we're talking about 9mm, an argument can be made for the PX4 Storm Compact. 15+1 or 19+1 (which is concealable AIWB for a total of 20 rounds).

View attachment 477968
I have P229s, P320s, and P365s including an XL, all of which are fine pistols, yet I still love my PX4 Storm for ergonomics, accuracy, reliability, and ease of operation. It's definitely a highly underrated firearm.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Most 40SW pistols can be converted to use 357 Sig with a barrel change if you can find the barrel. Need to look around. I bought my P224 in 40SW and bought a 357 Sig barrel from Optics Planet. I don't recall where I got my 357 Sig barrel for my P226. The Glock 32 is already chambered in 357 Sig. However, the point of impact changes and you really need to change the front sight on a gun if you do it.
Interestingly enough, on my Glocks, the sight height for all calibers (9mm, .40 and .357 Sig) and across the subcompact, compact and full size guns are all the same.

On my Sigs, not so. The 9mm and .357 Sig were the same. But the .40 shot high. Had to go to a higher front sight height when converting my P229 and P226 from a .40 to a .357 Sig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
168 Posts
During the last dozen years or so, I've given lip service to carrying a handgun. I bought a G26 because I thought it'd be easy to carry. It is, 'cept I ain't carried it since I bought it. It's a great gun, but too small for my hands. So I picked up a M11-A1. In the month I've owned it, I've been too busy to shoot it, not that I couldn't figure out an excuse to leave it in my gun safe.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I get it, any bullet is a good bullet when it comes to self-defense. My intention was never to start another caliber debate! The question I was asking could be described more succinctly, what is the best balance between caliber, frame size, concealability, and ultimately stopping power. We all conceal differently, for different reasons. I can carry an fnx- 45, 15 + 1 super or plus p and nobody knows I have it! That's not my point. My point is, don't carry bullets, in something that can't be seen just to have bullets, because all bullets are not the same, all of the guns are not the same! Carry the most powerful thing you can, the most reliable thing you can, what works best for you! If the most powerful thing you can handle is a 22 long rifle, 25 caliber ACP, 380 auto, or a 9 mm, then so be it. I would not want to be hit with any of those rounds either! For myself preservation I choose go big or go home, end it quick or die trying!
I just think it's too subjective to say one frame/platform.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
🎖USMC Veteran
P365-380 w/Crimson Trace® LG-422G Laserguard® & Hogue Grip
162 Posts
Reactions: Dodgerblue

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hhmmmm , very interesting ballistic similarities between 7.62 x 25 (Tokarev) and .357 Sig given their variance in weight range and diameter.

Wildcatters musings on the potential of the case itself has me wondering what the .357 Sig case might do necked down to .30 or even the .312 of the 30 Super Carry. Maintain the current 19.6 grain capacity of the Sig case and I'd make a more than even bet it would stomp the .30 sc and Tokarev at the same projectile weights.

·
Registered
136 Posts
During the last dozen years or so, I've given lip service to carrying a handgun. I bought a G26 because I thought it'd be easy to carry. It is, 'cept I ain't carried it since I bought it. It's a great gun, but too small for my hands. So I picked up a M11-A1. In the month I've owned it, I've been too busy to shoot it, not that I couldn't figure out an excuse to leave it in my gun safe.
I also found my G26 bulky to carry. Sold it after I bought my first 365

141 - 156 of 156 Posts