SIG Talk banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
And all this time I thought the speed of sound was about 1,100 feet per second at sea level, and a bit slower up at 4,800 feet where I live. So 2200 FPS like Mach 2!!
Sorry. What I was trying to say was that a 300 BLK was designed to be shot from a 10” barrel suppressed, subsonic. There are numerous loadings of 300 BLK that exceed SOS, but even then, they rarely achieve speeds much in excess of 2200 FPS - from a 10” barrel.

My bad.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The one you are carrying is the best caliber.
The best carry gun is one that you can shoot, accurately and consistently. If that is a .22 then it's a .22. ROUNDS ON TARGET it what counts, not your ego.

·
Registered
234 Posts
But 10mm is in my night stand.

Great what carry gun uses 357 sig?
Most 40SW pistols can be converted to use 357 Sig with a barrel change if you can find the barrel. Need to look around. I bought my P224 in 40SW and bought a 357 Sig barrel from Optics Planet. I don't recall where I got my 357 Sig barrel for my P226. The Glock 32 is already chambered in 357 Sig. However, the point of impact changes and you really need to change the front sight on a gun if you do it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Underwood Xtreme Defenders in .357 Sig will do over 2100 ft/s from a 4” handgun such as a Glock 32 or Sig P229. It’s been chrono’d numerous times, just search for these rounds on YouTube. A 65 gr. copper bullet moving that fast will have devastating impacts on what it hits. These are barrier blind rounds as well.

When you pair these rounds with this pistol, you are just over the 2300 ft/s threshold. This has been chrono’d as well. Truly like having a rifle on your hip.

Regarding reloading for the .357 Sig, I’ve had very good luck with the Montana Gold bullets as someone else mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This was my chrono test with the 357 Sig Underwood Extreme Defender with the 65gr bullet:

Sig P224 3.5" barrel-- Vel/Energy 1st shot 2113/644, 2nd shot 2126/652 Glock 32 4.01" barrel-- Vel/Energy 1st shot 2178/685, 2nd shot 2225/714 Sig P226 4.409" barrel- Vel/Energy 1st shot 2189/692, 2nd shot 2237/722. They screamed out of my P226.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A lot of excellent comments, we'll add on, the weapon you practice with should be your EDC weapon! After 30 years in the U.S. Army, the most economical effective round is the 9mm for cost, stopping power, and accuracy. Key considerations are accuracy, speed and tight and consistent weapon grip (acquiring the target, weapon draw from concealed carry and 1st round hit)! If you hit the target with the 1st round, you continue to engage until the target is down! Regarding practice and going thru COVID and high ammo prices and shortages, we got smart and realized that it's not how many rounds you put down range, it is the quality of your engagements. We transitioned to focusing on two shots to center mass on the body, and one shot to the head starting at 7 yds, 10 yds, 12 yds, and sometimes 15 yds. If you focus on quality rather than quantity, one can complete a training session with approx 25 rounds or less. Experts tell us that most EDC engagements are 10 yards (30 feet) or less, so that is where the focus should be. Our EDC is a SIG P320 Subcompact with a Sig Romeo 1Pro Red Dot for the greater part of the year in FL. From late Nov thru late Feb, we transition to a SIG P320 Carry with a Sig Romeo 1Pro because the grip angles are exactly the same, along with all the controls. Ref ammo choice: IMI BLACK DOT 9mm+P, 124 Grain Hollow Point. If it is the standard round for the Israeli Military, then it is good enough for me and it has reasonable price on MIDWAY USA.
How many enemy deaths are attributed to 9mm?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is the .357 Sig going away? It doesn’t even look like Sig Sauer offers many/any firearms in this caliber anymore. I was thinking of getting the full size .357 Sig conversion kit for my P320 CW-Limited Equinox but what’s the point? The ammo is hard to find and expensive? Such a bummer too, I really think it’s a great caliber.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Is the .357 Sig going away? It doesn’t even look like Sig Sauer offers many/any firearms in this caliber anymore. I was thinking of getting the full size .357 Sig conversion kit for my P320 CW-Limited Equinox but what’s the point? The ammo is hard to find and expensive? Such a bummer too, I really think it’s a great caliber.
These days 357 Sig is only for edc carrying. Buy a case of 357 Gold Dots or HST and you’re set for life. Practice with 9mm and/or .40. Until life changes, that’s the deal.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My first experience with a handgun was a .45 4” 1911. I own a P365. If you are a grown *** man and can’t shoot a micro 9 then god help you.

UH huh...........so ya get on here and that's your FIRST post. You won't last long here. And don't put another shot across my bows . Furthermore there Mr. Pompous and Macho , a dislike for a certain platform doesn't remotely equate to incompetence. Big difference between CAN'T and won't.

In closing , ya want to dictate what I shoot? The pay all the freight and cost on it. Otherwise your gauranteed to incite conflict approach is just puffing from a blowhard.

·
Registered
320 Posts
This was my chrono test with the 357 Sig Underwood Extreme Defender with the 65gr bullet:

Sig P224 3.5" barrel-- Vel/Energy 1st shot 2113/644, 2nd shot 2126/652 Glock 32 4.01" barrel-- Vel/Energy 1st shot 2178/685, 2nd shot 2225/714 Sig P226 4.409" barrel- Vel/Energy 1st shot 2189/692, 2nd shot 2237/722. They screamed out of my P226.

Highly similar to the results when you start going lighter weight in .357 mag and other mag revolvers , 9mm and .45 auto.

Likewise brings back all the old Elmer Keith versus Jack O'Connor debates/arguements over the velocity/lighter slug/ good b.c.s was more efficient than the larger bore/heavy slug at moderate velocity/ high S.D.

As an aside , initial measuring etc. reveal that not ALL 9mm oriented projectiles are going to work out. Case design , seating depths etc.

Starting goal? We'll see how deep into .357 mag range it will get within the 125ish grain window it was designed for , I'm quite interested in where it will go up and down from there. All data available indicates that it starts to degrade in performance above the 140 grain mark. That said there are only a few folks playing with the propellants that get great results in magnum revolvers ,h110 , 2400 etc.

Weight , I've never used the Underwood mono-construction type slugs , that said in .357 mag and .357 Max the lighter you go the more spectacular the performance is on * small game and predator size game*.......larger game calls for a heavier weight and construction slug. Same old game of choices.

My opinion is still that the .357 sig offers quite some potential for those willing to load for it , and frankly the opportunity for influence from both 9mm and .357 mag exists.....example , anything anyone is putting 2400 behind I can put ww296 behind with likely slightly better results.

So , ordered cases. And not just a couple of hundred. Data on the 226 barrel available as I get it loaded and it gets across my chrono. Yes I'll likely just buy a 229 barrel in .357 as well not that y'all got me interested.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is kind of like asking, "Who is the best guitar player?" Or, "How is steak best cooked?" The answer invariably comes down to personal preference. For ME, the best carry gun/caliber is the one that I feel most comfortable with, that I find reliable, and that I shoot well.

One man's meat is another man's poison.
You got it! This forum and other sources just help explore options to meet your personal preferences.

·
Registered
11 Posts
These days 357 Sig is only for edc carrying. Buy a case of 357 Gold Dots or HST and your set for life. Practice with 9mm and/or .40. Until life changes, that’s the deal.
Shouldn't you practice in the chamber you are carrying? Am I wrong on that? 9 mm shoots different than .357 sig. I know my 10mm shoots quite a bit differently than my 9mm. Which is my I daily carry a P365x instead of my glock 29.

·
Registered
332 Posts
As an 0331, the best carry and caliber is a M240B w/ 7.62×51mm NATO. Cutting them down in droves...(y)

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Shouldn't you practice in the chamber you are carrying? Am I wrong on that? 9 mm shoots different than .357 sig. I know my 10mm shoots quite a bit differently than my 9mm. Which is my I daily carry a P365x instead of my glock 29.
It’s certainly ideal if living in a perfect world but for me, not an issue. I am not recoil sensitive with the big 3 (9mm/357/40) so whatever the difference is, it’s not enough to cause adverse training issues. Especially between 40 and 357. One of my main firearm skill sets I always strived to achieve was to be able to grab and fire any semi automatic handgun cold and effectively utilize it. Goes without saying nothing will ever be the warm fuzzy blanket that are my P226 and P229s but having practiced with a slightly different “big 3” caliber shouldn’t be THE thing that took me down in an SD encounter. Especially when practicing with the same P226/P229 platform. There are those here who will say I’m crazy. Act accordingly based your personal situation/abilities etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When the 10MM came out, I think, the FBI adopted it first. It was close to a 41 magnum. They found out that the recoil and follow up shots were a problem for the officers. So they reduced the power and still called it the 10MM. So, when they reduced the powder in the 10mm, someone said we don't need that case capacity. That's how we have the 40 caliber handguns.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts