SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 158 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Caliber really doesn't matter. I don't want to be shot with a .22. 9 mm is probably the best overall round. Its semi affordable at around a buck a round for carry ammo. I am shocked to see all the .357 sig carriers. You can barely find .357 sig ammo. As many said the gun you willl carry and PRACTICE with is the best gun. I have a 10mm /.40 but I rarely practice with it since ammo is ridiculously expensive. My EDC is a sig p365x. You can carry it with any clothing. I like my Canik Elite but the 3.7 inch barrel digs into my thigh/crotch a bit too much while driving. In winter it will be fine.

· Registered
34 Posts
I will just tell you what works for me, At work, and much of the time, a all black Kahr P9 with Truglo green night sights. In cooler weather with more clothing, I carry either my Sig Sauer P229 Gen 2 .357sig, or my Dan Wesson 1911 Vigil CCO in .45acp. Sometimes as a second belly gun. I will have on me, a Smith and Wesson m 640 centennial J frame, .357 magnum, with magnum loads

· Registered
256 Posts
I have owned/tried a lot of different guns and settled on a Sig P224 in 357 Sig loaded with Underwood Ammo's 65 gr Extreme Defenders. I've chronographed the 65 gr EDs out of my P224 at 2123 fps. That's 10+1 650fpe shots in a pistol with a footprint only slightly larger that a P365. The P224 is DA/SA, so I have no problem strong-side carrying it with one in the chamber de-cocked without a holster. It is heavier (a lot) and thicker than a P365, but carrying it the way I do is more comfortable than a P365 with a holster. I wouldn't carry any chambered single action pistol without a holster. The only real downside is your pinky hangs free, but I can still shoot it as well as any pistol. If I could do better, it would have been if they would have chambered the Springfield XDE (hammer-fired DA/SA) in 40/357. The XDE is thin and light even in 45 ACP, but they discontinued it instead.

I saw someone above mention urban versus wilderness carry. I do switch out my ammo to either Underwood 115 gr Extreme Penetrators (rated at 1450/537fpe) or PPU 125 gr 357 Sig flat nosed FMJs (rated at 1542fps/660 fpe). I'm trying out a Springfield XDM Elite 3.8 10mm for wilderness carry.

I hear complaints about hammer-fired DA/SA pistols when it comes to the different trigger pulls, but if you have to make a longer shot that you might miss because of the longer-harder double action trigger pull, you can easily cock the hammer with the thumb on either hand. I think single action semi-automatic pistols are inherently less safe, which is why you have to carry them in a good quality holster if you carry with a chambered round.

Shoe Black Glove Wood Rectangle

· 🎖USMC Retired
1,968 Posts
For a LONG time I carried a 1911 in various configurations, most commonly the Commander (aluminum frame).

Nowadays I almost exclusively carry either a 220 SAS in .45 ACP or a 229 in .357 Sig, with a 239 in .357 Sig once in a while. I have found that I seem to shoot better with single stack guns than double stack. Not at all sure what this means, but on the range my single stack shooting is noticeably better than my 228/229 shooting. Some of that may be that I shoot 1911’s a moderate amount, but it isn’t all of it.

· Registered
4,560 Posts
I have owned/tried a lot of different guns and settled on a Sig P224 in 357 Sig loaded with Underwood Ammo's 65 gr Extreme Defenders. I've chronographed the 65 gr EDs out of my P224 at 2123 fps. That's 10+1 650fpe shots in a pistol with a footprint only slightly larger that a P365. The P224 is DA/SA, so I have no problem strong-side carrying it with one in the chamber de-cocked without a holster. It is heavier (a lot) and thicker than a P365, but carrying it the way I do is more comfortable than a P365 with a holster. I wouldn't carry any chambered single action pistol without a holster. The only real downside is your pinky hangs free, but I can still shoot it as well as any pistol. If I could do better, it would have been if they would have chambered the Springfield XDE (hammer-fired DA/SA) in 40/357. The XDE is thin and light even in 45 ACP, but they discontinued it instead.

I saw someone above mention urban versus wilderness carry. I do switch out my ammo to either Underwood 115 gr Extreme Penetrators (rated at 1450/537fpe) or PPU 125 gr 357 Sig flat nosed FMJs (rated at 1542fps/660 fpe). I'm trying out a Springfield XDM Elite 3.8 10mm for wilderness carry.

I hear complaints about hammer-fired DA/SA pistols when it comes to the different trigger pulls, but if you have to make a longer shot that you might miss because of the longer-harder double action trigger pull, you can easily cock the hammer with the thump on either hand. I think single action semi-automatic pistols are inherently less safe, which is why you have to carry them in a good quality holster if you carry with a chambered round.

View attachment 477440
That’s a point rarely made but true. Not all shooting events are “quick draw”. There are many situations where there is ample time to cock the hammer into SA. Back when I carried my P226 as my duty weapon, I’d do it all the time. Forced entries, 2nd position traffic stops etc etc. I would have done it if I was the Good Samaritan in the Indiana mall incident making that 40 yard shot. Every scenario is different.

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Caliber really doesn't matter. I don't want to be shot with a .22. 9 mm is probably the best overall round. Its semi affordable at around a buck a round for carry ammo. I am shocked to see all the .357 sig carriers. You can barely find .357 sig ammo. As many said the gun you willl carry and PRACTICE with is the best gun. I have a 10mm /.40 but I rarely practice with it since ammo is ridiculously expensive. My EDC is a sig p365x. You can carry it with any clothing. I like my Canik Elite but the 3.7 inch barrel digs into my thigh/crotch a bit too much while driving. In winter it will be fine.
Don't Be too shocked, there's a lot of 357 Sig carriers out there for a reason. There's plenty of ammo out there for those of us that need it. Plus on top of that many of us reload as well as have a 40 cal Barrel on hand for drop in. Personally I'm not going to let a few bucks get in the way of carrying the best handgun chambered in the best caliber for my personal protection!;)

· Registered
21 Posts
Don't Be too shocked, there's a lot of 357 Sig carriers out there for a reason. There's plenty of ammo out there for those of us that need it. Plus on top of that many of us reload as well as have a 40 cal Barrel on hand for drop in. Personally I'm not going to let a few bucks get in the way of carrying the best handgun chambered in the best caliber for my personal protection!;)
You don't want to get shot with any round. FBI studies show that. You still need two to three shots of 357 sig or 9 mm. Except I can practice with my guns a whole lot more.

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You don't want to get shot with any round. FBI studies show that. You still need two to three shots of 357 sig or 9 mm. Except I can practice with my guns a whole lot more.
I don't understand? You can practice a lot more with 9 mm? Or you can practice more than other people who shoot 357 sig? As far as two or three rounds to incapacitate, those studies don't mean much in the real world. I go by what I see with my own eyes, and some of the cases that make the news. 2 weeks ago here in Las Vegas and individual took seven rounds of 9 mm and was out of the hospital in a week. About 10 years ago LAPD put 13 Rounds in an individual, he ain't walking anymore, but still breathing. Based on my personal experience there's no 9mm ammunition or firearms in this house, some empty brass and some reloading dies but that's it!

· Registered
21 Posts
I don't understand? You can practice a lot more with 9 mm? Or you can practice more than other people who shoot 357 sig? As far as two or three rounds to incapacitate, those studies don't mean much in the real world. I go by what I see with my own eyes, and some of the cases that make the news. 2 weeks ago here in Las Vegas and individual took seven rounds of 9 mm and was out of the hospital in a week. About 10 years ago LAPD put 13 Rounds in an individual, he ain't walking anymore, but still breathing. Based on my personal experience there's no 9mm ammunition or firearms in this house, some empty brass and some reloading dies but that's it!
I am never going to reload. I go to Scheels or Cabellas or a gun store to get ammo. You can't find 357 anywhere in my area...I checked. Well you could buy hollow points at $37 a box for 20 rounds. If you wanted to blow $100 every freaking time you go practice. You give two ridiculous surviving stories as evidence that a round that almost no normal person can find. So of course I am going to be able to practice more.

Whatever you do you. MOST people are going to go with 9mm or .40 cal. The best round and gun is one you will carry. I carry a p365x and noone knows.

Plus if there a carry gun in 357 sig? Yes you could be one of those people who carries a full size gun but everyone knows you are carrying.

Your example is a Ferrari is better than a Honda or Ford-duh. Most people are going to drive a normal car.

· Registered
256 Posts
Statistically speaking, the 357 magnum has the best reputation for 1-shot stops of any handgun. I'm guessing the stats are from back when cops carried revolvers. The 357 magnum can be loaded way beyond any 357 Sig, but a hot 357 Sig round is superior to any of the "duty" rounds out there in terms of velocity and energy. I think velocity is the real key to an incapacitating shot, because of the quick energy dump. I suspect the size of temporary wound cavity matters. The rounds I carry move at 2100 fps and are good for about 650fpe (Liberty defense makes one that is rated at 2300fps) That is approaching 10mm or AR pistol performance. It is almost twice the power of the Speer Gold dot 9mm that cops use. Even if they to use +P, hot 357 rounds are still 50% more powerful. Finally, the thing that supposedly allowed cops to go back to 9mm is the performance of the new hollowpoint bullets. From every test I've seen, the 357 Sig is 100% reliable when it comes to proper expansion. The same cannot be said for 9mm bullets when the noses get plugged with clothing.

· Registered
21 Posts
But 10mm is in my night stand.
Statistically speaking, the 357 magnum has the best reputation for 1-shot stops of any handgun. I'm guessing the stats are from back when cops carried revolvers. The 357 magnum can be loaded way beyond any 357 Sig, but a hot 357 Sig round is superior to any of the "duty" rounds out there in terms of velocity and energy. I think velocity is the real key to an incapacitating shot, because of the quick energy dump. The rounds I carry move at 2100 fps and are good for about 650fpe (Liberty defense makes one that is rated at 2300fps) That is approaching 10mm or AR pistol performance. It is almost twice the power of the Speer Gold dot 9mm that cops use. Even if they to use +P, hot 357 rounds are still 50% more powerful.
Great what carry gun uses 357 sig?

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I am never going to reload. I go to Scheels or Cabellas or a gun store to get ammo. You can't find 357 anywhere in my area...I checked. Well you could buy hollow points at $37 a box for 20 rounds. If you wanted to blow $100 every freaking time you go practice. You give two ridiculous surviving stories as evidence that a round that almost no normal person can find. So of course I am going to be able to practice more.

Whatever you do you. MOST people are going to go with 9mm or .40 cal. The best round and gun is one you will carry. I carry a p365x and noone knows.

Plus if there a carry gun in 357 sig? Yes you could be one of those people who carries a full size gun but everyone knows you are carrying.

Your example is a Ferrari is better than a Honda or Ford-duh. Most people are going to drive a normal car.
Have a nice day you'll do great on this forum! :cheers:

41 - 60 of 158 Posts