SIG Talk banner

What is the best carry gun/caliber?

6206 155
This question is not intended to be a troll post! Or a caliber debate! It is simply based on a few recent threads, some with a lot of data involved. My question is simple, what is the best frame / design/caliber that is most reliable and most proven worldwide in modern handgun use?:unsure: I'm not trying to start any trouble here, I understand that I am on a Sig Sauer forum, and that some bias May skew responses. Not going to list this as a poll question, I've had problems with that before just curious!...ABBO!!!
Reactions: SAL
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Caliber really doesn't matter. I don't want to be shot with a .22. 9 mm is probably the best overall round. Its semi affordable at around a buck a round for carry ammo. I am shocked to see all the .357 sig carriers. You can barely find .357 sig ammo. As many said the gun you willl carry and PRACTICE with is the best gun. I have a 10mm /.40 but I rarely practice with it since ammo is ridiculously expensive. My EDC is a sig p365x. You can carry it with any clothing. I like my Canik Elite but the 3.7 inch barrel digs into my thigh/crotch a bit too much while driving. In winter it will be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't Be too shocked, there's a lot of 357 Sig carriers out there for a reason. There's plenty of ammo out there for those of us that need it. Plus on top of that many of us reload as well as have a 40 cal Barrel on hand for drop in. Personally I'm not going to let a few bucks get in the way of carrying the best handgun chambered in the best caliber for my personal protection!;)
You don't want to get shot with any round. FBI studies show that. You still need two to three shots of 357 sig or 9 mm. Except I can practice with my guns a whole lot more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't understand? You can practice a lot more with 9 mm? Or you can practice more than other people who shoot 357 sig? As far as two or three rounds to incapacitate, those studies don't mean much in the real world. I go by what I see with my own eyes, and some of the cases that make the news. 2 weeks ago here in Las Vegas and individual took seven rounds of 9 mm and was out of the hospital in a week. About 10 years ago LAPD put 13 Rounds in an individual, he ain't walking anymore, but still breathing. Based on my personal experience there's no 9mm ammunition or firearms in this house, some empty brass and some reloading dies but that's it!
I am never going to reload. I go to Scheels or Cabellas or a gun store to get ammo. You can't find 357 anywhere in my area...I checked. Well you could buy hollow points at $37 a box for 20 rounds. If you wanted to blow $100 every freaking time you go practice. You give two ridiculous surviving stories as evidence that a round that almost no normal person can find. So of course I am going to be able to practice more.

Whatever you do you. MOST people are going to go with 9mm or .40 cal. The best round and gun is one you will carry. I carry a p365x and noone knows.

Plus if there a carry gun in 357 sig? Yes you could be one of those people who carries a full size gun but everyone knows you are carrying.

Your example is a Ferrari is better than a Honda or Ford-duh. Most people are going to drive a normal car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't understand? You can practice a lot more with 9 mm? Or you can practice more than other people who shoot 357 sig? As far as two or three rounds to incapacitate, those studies don't mean much in the real world. I go by what I see with my own eyes, and some of the cases that make the news. 2 weeks ago here in Las Vegas and individual took seven rounds of 9 mm and was out of the hospital in a week. About 10 years ago LAPD put 13 Rounds in an individual, he ain't walking anymore, but still breathing. Based on my personal experience there's no 9mm ammunition or firearms in this house, some empty brass and some reloading dies but that's it!
But 10mm is in my night stand.
Statistically speaking, the 357 magnum has the best reputation for 1-shot stops of any handgun. I'm guessing the stats are from back when cops carried revolvers. The 357 magnum can be loaded way beyond any 357 Sig, but a hot 357 Sig round is superior to any of the "duty" rounds out there in terms of velocity and energy. I think velocity is the real key to an incapacitating shot, because of the quick energy dump. The rounds I carry move at 2100 fps and are good for about 650fpe (Liberty defense makes one that is rated at 2300fps) That is approaching 10mm or AR pistol performance. It is almost twice the power of the Speer Gold dot 9mm that cops use. Even if they to use +P, hot 357 rounds are still 50% more powerful.
Great what carry gun uses 357 sig?

·
Registered
20 Posts
These days 357 Sig is only for edc carrying. Buy a case of 357 Gold Dots or HST and your set for life. Practice with 9mm and/or .40. Until life changes, that’s the deal.
Shouldn't you practice in the chamber you are carrying? Am I wrong on that? 9 mm shoots different than .357 sig. I know my 10mm shoots quite a bit differently than my 9mm. Which is my I daily carry a P365x instead of my glock 29.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s certainly ideal if living in a perfect world but for me, not an issue. I am not recoil sensitive with the big 3 (9mm/357/40) so whatever the difference is, it’s not enough to cause adverse training issues. Especially between 40 and 357. One of my main firearm skill sets I always strived to achieve was to be able to grab and fire any semi automatic handgun cold and effectively utilize it. Goes without saying nothing will ever be the warm fuzzy blanket that are my P226 and P229s but having practiced with a slightly different “big 3” caliber shouldn’t be THE thing that took me down in an SD encounter. Especially when practicing with the same P226/P229 platform. There are those here who will say I’m crazy. Act accordingly based your personal situation/abilities etc.
I'm not recoil sensitive to 10 mm BUT the glock 29 shoots differently than the p365x. I guess that's more my point. So I practice a lot more with the p365x. If all guns shot the same we'd really only need one or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts