SIG Talk banner

What is the best carry gun/caliber?

6205 155
This question is not intended to be a troll post! Or a caliber debate! It is simply based on a few recent threads, some with a lot of data involved. My question is simple, what is the best frame / design/caliber that is most reliable and most proven worldwide in modern handgun use?:unsure: I'm not trying to start any trouble here, I understand that I am on a Sig Sauer forum, and that some bias May skew responses. Not going to list this as a poll question, I've had problems with that before just curious!...ABBO!!!
Reactions: SAL
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Each individual should choose what they feel fits them the best, and can effectively control, both as to firearm, and caliber.

For myself, I'd have to say my P229 SAS .40 S&W.
After getting a Sig P229, it changed my outlook on various features on most double action pistols. BTW, trigger bar 2 is on its way from mgw, should be here Monday.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Caliber really doesn't matter. I don't want to be shot with a .22. 9 mm is probably the best overall round. Its semi affordable at around a buck a round for carry ammo. I am shocked to see all the .357 sig carriers. You can barely find .357 sig ammo. As many said the gun you willl carry and PRACTICE with is the best gun. I have a 10mm /.40 but I rarely practice with it since ammo is ridiculously expensive. My EDC is a sig p365x. You can carry it with any clothing. I like my Canik Elite but the 3.7 inch barrel digs into my thigh/crotch a bit too much while driving. In winter it will be fine.
Don't Be too shocked, there's a lot of 357 Sig carriers out there for a reason. There's plenty of ammo out there for those of us that need it. Plus on top of that many of us reload as well as have a 40 cal Barrel on hand for drop in. Personally I'm not going to let a few bucks get in the way of carrying the best handgun chambered in the best caliber for my personal protection!;)

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You don't want to get shot with any round. FBI studies show that. You still need two to three shots of 357 sig or 9 mm. Except I can practice with my guns a whole lot more.
I don't understand? You can practice a lot more with 9 mm? Or you can practice more than other people who shoot 357 sig? As far as two or three rounds to incapacitate, those studies don't mean much in the real world. I go by what I see with my own eyes, and some of the cases that make the news. 2 weeks ago here in Las Vegas and individual took seven rounds of 9 mm and was out of the hospital in a week. About 10 years ago LAPD put 13 Rounds in an individual, he ain't walking anymore, but still breathing. Based on my personal experience there's no 9mm ammunition or firearms in this house, some empty brass and some reloading dies but that's it!

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I am never going to reload. I go to Scheels or Cabellas or a gun store to get ammo. You can't find 357 anywhere in my area...I checked. Well you could buy hollow points at $37 a box for 20 rounds. If you wanted to blow $100 every freaking time you go practice. You give two ridiculous surviving stories as evidence that a round that almost no normal person can find. So of course I am going to be able to practice more.

Whatever you do you. MOST people are going to go with 9mm or .40 cal. The best round and gun is one you will carry. I carry a p365x and noone knows.

Plus if there a carry gun in 357 sig? Yes you could be one of those people who carries a full size gun but everyone knows you are carrying.

Your example is a Ferrari is better than a Honda or Ford-duh. Most people are going to drive a normal car.
Have a nice day you'll do great on this forum! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I get it, any bullet is a good bullet when it comes to self-defense. My intention was never to start another caliber debate! The question I was asking could be described more succinctly, what is the best balance between caliber, frame size, concealability, and ultimately stopping power. We all conceal differently, for different reasons. I can carry an fnx- 45, 15 + 1 super or plus p and nobody knows I have it! That's not my point. My point is, don't carry bullets, in something that can't be seen just to have bullets, because all bullets are not the same, all of the guns are not the same! Carry the most powerful thing you can, the most reliable thing you can, what works best for you! If the most powerful thing you can handle is a 22 long rifle, 25 caliber ACP, 380 auto, or a 9 mm, then so be it. I would not want to be hit with any of those rounds either! For myself preservation I choose go big or go home, end it quick or die trying!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts