SIG Talk banner

What is the best carry gun/caliber?

6206 155
This question is not intended to be a troll post! Or a caliber debate! It is simply based on a few recent threads, some with a lot of data involved. My question is simple, what is the best frame / design/caliber that is most reliable and most proven worldwide in modern handgun use?:unsure: I'm not trying to start any trouble here, I understand that I am on a Sig Sauer forum, and that some bias May skew responses. Not going to list this as a poll question, I've had problems with that before just curious!...ABBO!!!
Reactions: SAL
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I have owned/tried a lot of different guns and settled on a Sig P224 in 357 Sig loaded with Underwood Ammo's 65 gr Extreme Defenders. I've chronographed the 65 gr EDs out of my P224 at 2123 fps. That's 10+1 650fpe shots in a pistol with a footprint only slightly larger that a P365. The P224 is DA/SA, so I have no problem strong-side carrying it with one in the chamber de-cocked without a holster. It is heavier (a lot) and thicker than a P365, but carrying it the way I do is more comfortable than a P365 with a holster. I wouldn't carry any chambered single action pistol without a holster. The only real downside is your pinky hangs free, but I can still shoot it as well as any pistol. If I could do better, it would have been if they would have chambered the Springfield XDE (hammer-fired DA/SA) in 40/357. The XDE is thin and light even in 45 ACP, but they discontinued it instead.

I saw someone above mention urban versus wilderness carry. I do switch out my ammo to either Underwood 115 gr Extreme Penetrators (rated at 1450/537fpe) or PPU 125 gr 357 Sig flat nosed FMJs (rated at 1542fps/660 fpe). I'm trying out a Springfield XDM Elite 3.8 10mm for wilderness carry.

I hear complaints about hammer-fired DA/SA pistols when it comes to the different trigger pulls, but if you have to make a longer shot that you might miss because of the longer-harder double action trigger pull, you can easily cock the hammer with the thump on either hand. I think single action semi-automatic pistols are inherently less safe, which is why you have to carry them in a good quality holster if you carry with a chambered round.

View attachment 477440
That’s a point rarely made but true. Not all shooting events are “quick draw”. There are many situations where there is ample time to cock the hammer into SA. Back when I carried my P226 as my duty weapon, I’d do it all the time. Forced entries, 2nd position traffic stops etc etc. I would have done it if I was the Good Samaritan in the Indiana mall incident making that 40 yard shot. Every scenario is different.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The key is, to get 40 sw barrels for range use, for your 357sig pistols. Price of 40 is not much more and in some cases, cheaper then 9mm
This was my approach. I have a lifetime supply of Gold Dot 357/125g for my EDC needs but view 40 as my 357 practice round. As the Deputy noted, I’m buying quality, clean 40 for less than the same ammo in 9mm.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
P229 was designed for the 357 SIG and is not a full size gun. I carry a P229 everyday with a plus 2 magazine and nobody knows I'm carrying. And 357 SIG ammo is out there.

View attachment 477749
Ditto to everything you said. But, it’s never been a question if 357 ammo is available. It most certainly is… it just ain’t cheap.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Is the .357 Sig going away? It doesn’t even look like Sig Sauer offers many/any firearms in this caliber anymore. I was thinking of getting the full size .357 Sig conversion kit for my P320 CW-Limited Equinox but what’s the point? The ammo is hard to find and expensive? Such a bummer too, I really think it’s a great caliber.
These days 357 Sig is only for edc carrying. Buy a case of 357 Gold Dots or HST and you’re set for life. Practice with 9mm and/or .40. Until life changes, that’s the deal.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Shouldn't you practice in the chamber you are carrying? Am I wrong on that? 9 mm shoots different than .357 sig. I know my 10mm shoots quite a bit differently than my 9mm. Which is my I daily carry a P365x instead of my glock 29.
It’s certainly ideal if living in a perfect world but for me, not an issue. I am not recoil sensitive with the big 3 (9mm/357/40) so whatever the difference is, it’s not enough to cause adverse training issues. Especially between 40 and 357. One of my main firearm skill sets I always strived to achieve was to be able to grab and fire any semi automatic handgun cold and effectively utilize it. Goes without saying nothing will ever be the warm fuzzy blanket that are my P226 and P229s but having practiced with a slightly different “big 3” caliber shouldn’t be THE thing that took me down in an SD encounter. Especially when practicing with the same P226/P229 platform. There are those here who will say I’m crazy. Act accordingly based your personal situation/abilities etc.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I'm not recoil sensitive to 10 mm BUT the glock 29 shoots differently than the p365x. I guess that's more my point. So I practice a lot more with the p365x. If all guns shot the same we'd really only need one or two.
Well, the scenario I was addressing was more related to the 357 edc question as 357 FMJ is scarcer and expensive. 40 is close enough to 357 for range time. If you’re edc is a 365 then we are taking 9mm so moot. Buy a bunch of reasonably priced 9mm and off you go. If your edc is a Glock 29 10mm than practice with 40. While not a perfect scenario, it should provide a close enough experience to where you should be able to perform with your G29 in an SD situation. YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts