SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have 2 P365-380s, and I love these pistols. They're accurate, very soft shooting, easy to rack (and lock the slide), and very reliable with one notable exception. They don't like the truncated cone shape of JHP bullets like the Hornady XTP and SIG V-Crown. Those will occasionally stop on the feed ramp, and I need to whack the slide to complete feeding. Both pistols are 100% reliable with every FMJ I've used (Lawman, SIG Elite, American Eagle, MagTech, WWB, Blazer), and with the Remington Golden Saber BJHP, which has a rounded bullet shape. I carry them with the Remington.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Not that I own one, but has she ever considered just going with a small frame revolver?
I know several women that don't like the small pocket semi-auto's so they went with
a small revolver in .38. Slightly less capacity, but easy to shoot and handle.
This ^^^. I know the question was about racking a slide, but a revolver is a great option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had my wife try my S&W 642 J-frame. The recoil was too much for her. Right now she has an older Colt Pocketlite in .380. She can shoot it ok, recoil is not an issue, but it is still hard for her to rack. The EZ will probably be the next thing we try. I'd also like for her to try a red dot, but I don't know that it's available on the EZ.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think the EZ is a good choice if her main issue is racking. As I’ve stated previously, when it comes to purchasing one, I don’t recommend the non-Performance Center model. As for moving and shooting with it, some people struggle, other people don’t. A lot of it depends on how many other guns the shooter is familiar with, their training, and their preferences. As for women having their own section on this site, this could be tested to see if the area gets a lot of traffic. I’d still post in the regular / normal section though. I find that most shooting problems aren’t as specific to gender as I thought.

·
Super Moderator
1,350 Posts
I am not a fan of the S&W EZ series of firearms for EDC mainly because the mechanism is both internally complex, and the construction is somewhat lightweight and prone to jamming, bending, damage and fouling. I have had students bring these brand new to their qualification in classes and had them jam so completely after a couple of shots that we could not unjam them to render them safe. We had to fire the chambered round, which thankfully ignited. Because an EDC pistol must be reliable, I do not recommend these pistols to my students. This has happened multiple times to multiple individuals.

With small 9mm locked breech pistols, you often find stiff recoil springs in use. In order to rack these, try an alternate racking technique where you hold the slide stationary, and push the frame under the stationary slide to rack it. This uses stronger muscle groups in your lower arm, and will often allow you to successfully rack the slide when pushing and extending your dominant hand's arm which is generally also the stronger arm. There are YouTube videos demonstrating this racking technique.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you have a full size 9mm?

Generally subcompacts have heavier recoil systems to compensate for lower mass, but I'm not familiar with 365s so I could be wrong.

If the make them you could also get a slide Racker rear plate for the slide

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife will have to pass a live fire course to keep her permit. She has a tough time with a P365. What is out here that would be easier to rack the slide ??
My 77 year old wife had the same issue. A female instructor at your range could easily help her with an “easy female solution”…. She now uses the method that I showed her early on (she didn’t fully grasp the concept until she fully paid attention).

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
@Whatever68
The solution may lie in improving her slide racking method, rather than switching guns. Is your wife doing the push-pull technique?

It's a lot more efficient to hold the pistol in front of the chest, elbows bent, and pull the slide rearward while pushing the grip/frame forward in the opposite direction:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife will have to pass a live fire course to keep her permit. She has a tough time with a P365. What is out here that would be easier to rack the slide ??
Make sure she has a tight grip on the slide with her support hand, while she is pushing the frame forward with her dominant hand - this make it so much easier.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts