Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes a Sig 516 a Gen 3? So far I'm finding out:
-the gas block, which I have
-the new stock, which I had and I replaced to this
-a new grip, which I seem to not have
-no sight(???), not sure about this one...Mine did come with iron sights

I know Sig recently had a price increase, and if I remember from researching for my MPX, which current model is the Gen 2, they basically came out with a Gen 2, and then came out with an undocumented gen 2.5, which upgraded the grip, eliminated the sight and sling. Internally, the MPX gen 2.5 also had the firing pin spring put back in, which was missing from the gen 2.

So what is mine from the photo? My 516 is kinda bare right now since I remove the Eotech HHS-II red dot/magnifier and sent them in for the recall

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh...one more thing, I don't have them new magazines either....

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've not heard any referred to as a Gen 3, but they've had several updates since the Gen 2 came out in around 2012. From what we've seen on the forum, I'd call yours a current Gen 2, as you have the latest style gas block and gas valve adjustment lug. This style appears to have been introduced mid-2015.

Here's a link from an older thread where we had examples of the Gen 1 and older Gen 2 gas block differences, and your style block seems to have been the next revision. 516-patrol-vs-516-g2-patrol

·
Registered
7,383 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Op, I meant to ask you, what stock did your gun come with, was it the Sig-branded model, or the B5? Also, does yours have the new round Sig logo on it? I did not see any markings, so I assume you Photoshop'd those out. Lastly, do you know your production date? It would have been on the end of the shipping box (if you got it new), near the Serial number.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Op, I meant to ask you, what stock did your gun come with, was it the Sig-branded model, or the B5? Also, does yours have the new round Sig logo on it? I did not see any markings, so I assume you Photoshop'd those out. Lastly, do you know your production date? It would have been on the end of the shipping box (if you got it new), near the Serial number.
Mine has a production date of July 31, 2016...the Sig logo is actually on the other side of the rifle...as far as the stock, it came with the new Sig stock...I purchased this 516 as a replacement to the gen1 516 I had...I liked the old stock better (I believe that was Magpul)...I went ahead and changed out the stock and trigger...currently contemplating which handguard to get...I have a Lancer on my MPX, and I do like that...but apparently that weighs more than the stock handguard. What do you guys recommend as for a longer and smaller handguard...preferably a non-quad....and as far as shedding weight on this bad boy....not very likely if I want the goodies on it egh? I'm waiting on EOTech's settlement and I'm probably going back to the same HHS-ii system I had previously...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've not heard any referred to as a Gen 3, but they've had several updates since the Gen 2 came out in around 2012. From what we've seen on the forum, I'd call yours a current Gen 2, as you have the latest style gas block and gas valve adjustment lug. This style appears to have been introduced mid-2015.

Here's a link from an older thread where we had examples of the Gen 1 and older Gen 2 gas block differences, and your style block seems to have been the next revision. 516-patrol-vs-516-g2-patrol
I reference this for the Gen 3 term:

Reactions: Watcher

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

I see. I'm going off of Sig's references in their catalog and web, where they're still calling them Gen 2. Of course, Sig is well known for swapping things around on these, seemingly based on whatever they have lying around, without officially calling it a change or revision. The changes around the gas block seem to be the best indicator of actual revisions.

·
Registered
281 Posts
@MeetJoeAsian - After shooting your 516, do you have smoke coming out of the gas block? I want to buy one more 516, because I love this rifle from previous experience! i have two others, but with the solid gas block. My local GS has one with your type of (cut out) gas block made on 1/31/2017. I want to buy it, but will pass if the gas block smokes even after 100 rounds! Please let me know!!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@MeetJoeAsian - After shooting your 516, do you have smoke coming out of the gas block? I want to buy one more 516, because I love this rifle from previous experience! i have two others, but with the solid gas block. My local GS has one with your type of (cut out) gas block made on 1/31/2017. I want to buy it, but will pass if the gas block smokes even after 100 rounds! Please let me know!!! Thanks!!!
Sorry for the late response...I haven't my latest 516 much. But I can tell you that I have never seen gas coming out of the barrel or the block. When it comes out, is it very noticeable? If it is, then I can assure you, it doesn't. But if you say that it's hardly noticeably, then I can't give you a confident answer.

Reactions: M400Mk25
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.