SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question: What do you conceal carry, and why?

Just took a conceal carry class, and my next gun I purchase will be one that I can conceal.

I like Sigs, have heard lots of people like to carry revolvers for reliability. What
are your thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 6'0, 200 lbs. I like 9mm. Having a SA/DA combo is what i prefer (with a decocker). If I were to conceal carry, a manual safety seems like a good idea. Also not opposed to polymer. I have shot both polymer and all metal, and both have ups and downs.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Just keep in mind, The DA/SA action is designed to remove the need for A safty.
That in mind, Whatever you decide, There will be the need for A good amount of practice,
Both live fire and Dryfire.

Not knowing the depth of your experience, Seeking training is Always A good idea.

You most likely will get A lot of thoughts on this matter.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm 6'0, 200 lbs. I like 9mm. Having a SA/DA combo is what i prefer (with a decocker). If I were to conceal carry, a manual safety seems like a good idea. Also not opposed to polymer. I have shot both polymer and all metal, and both have ups and downs.
I'm a little smaller, 5'8" 160, and the P239 works great for me. I couldn't go much bigger and feel comfortable concealing (yet). DA/SA in 9mm, but the double action first pull satisfies my need for a manual safety. I actually feel MUCH more comfortable carrying condition one with a DA/SA than I do with a SAO w/ safety. 239 is great, but if I could conceal larger, I would. Maybe look into an M11A1 or p229?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I love revolvers. I was actually planning on getting one to carry when I realized that I could get a Sig instead. I also thought it would be silly to get a 44 mag or a 44 special due to cost of ammo. A 38 or 357 mag is more reasonable, but I sold mine to get a 227.

I like single action single stacks. There's no difference in trigger ever, and they feel nice in my hand. The width of the 227 is something new to get used to.

My 938 SAS is off for regularly scheduled maintenance presently, so I am currently carrying my 227 Carry.

Going from the single stack 9mm in a great holster to a double stack 45 in a not so great holster has me wanting.

I am currently in the process of getting a 1911 Nightmare Carry to carry in the colder months. But I do love carrying my 938; its so fun to shoot that I forget that it wasn't designed to be shot as much as I shoot it without maintenance.

Why 9mm? In the small frame of the 938, it is snappy, but nothing too bad. I also believe that 9mm is more than enough to stop a threat. Plus, the 938 is easily concealed beneath a plain T-shirt.

Why 45? I shoot a lot of 45. I'm comfortable shooting it. Plus, it's big and slow; if it hits something, that something knows it got hit.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm a little smaller, 5'8" 160, and the P239 works great for me. I couldn't go much bigger and feel comfortable concealing (yet). DA/SA in 9mm, but the double action first pull satisfies my need for a manual safety. I actually feel MUCH more comfortable carrying condition one with a DA/SA than I do with a SAO w/ safety. 239 is great, but if I could conceal larger, I would. Maybe look into an M11A1 or p229?
I'm not the same at all.

I've spent tons of time trying to make the safety fail, and it never has. The DA/SA on the otherhand... idk. I much prefer the thumb safety.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm not the same at all.

I've spent tons of time trying to make the safety fail, and it never has. The DA/SA on the otherhand... idk. I much prefer the thumb safety.
I'm not in any way saying it is better or safer, it's just my personal preference. I have, and probably will again, carry SAO with a safety, or even SAO with passive safeties. But there's a level of comfort in this brain of mine when carrying DA/SA that I can't compare to anything else. I have however, had safeties become disengaged (my own fault), when holstering, and not noticed immediately. Having started with striker fired passive safety models, I guess I just really like the added safety of the initial DA pull, but still not having to worry about disengaging anything prior to pulling the trigger.

... Oh, and nice mug! I loved that game before it got stale and I had nothing else to do!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I carry a Kahr T40.

I'm on the heavier side of the spectrum ( nice way of saying "fat" :D ), so I have to be careful to avoid firearms with beaver tails (they stab me in the side when I sit down). My preference for carry is a striker-fired, DAO (not "safe-action"), single stack, compact firearm (which pretty much limits me to KAHR).

The T40 is the best firearm that I've ever carried. It's my favorite, hands down.

I'm 6'5" @ 320lbs. I find that the Milt Sparks VMII is the most comfortable holster for me.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
My every day carry is a Sig P220 Compact SAO in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster. It is small enough that it conceals well for me. It shoots a .45 which I like. Since it is single stack, an extra mag in my front pocket is easy to carry.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The way I'm put together I can conceal just about any size handgun from about 10:00 to 2:00 and 4:00 to 8:00. The side real estate is taken up by some hefty love handles. But even a full size weapon disappears in the front or back of a belt.

Currently I appendix EDC a Sig P229 in .40S&W with a couple extra mags behind on the weak side.

I've been tossing around the idea of retiring the 229 to weak side 8:00 BUG status and carrying a 226 at the appendix for the primary.

But I'm 6'5" @ 250 lbs. So not everyone has quite the amount of undeveloped land to attach a gun around the midsection.

Shop around for what's most comfy for you.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I'm 5'7"/160 & I carry a 224 in 9mm, IWB. From what you said about your preferences, 224 or 239 are the only way to go. I went with the 224, because the grip is shorter, it has more capacity, & I like the thicker, double stack grip better. The 239 is a shooter & an excellent CCW as well though

·
Registered
99 Posts
2022 IWB. A bit shorter than my 226 and honestly I shoot it better for some reason. Not too big and not too small.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Simple question: What do you conceal carry, and why?
My two most frequently carried guns are a Kimber Solo and a Sig P938. Both are small pistols and readily concealable while wearing light clothing in warm weather. In my mind, 9mm is a reasonable caliber.

Overall, I think the P938 is more reliable and easier to handle.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Recently, P227 SAS was riding my hip in her StealthGear IWB holster most days. Yesterday I twisted my knee during morning workout on our icy road, so HK45c's on duty today. It's lighter, so the old knee doesn't whine as much...

Cheers

·
Registered
247 Posts
I looked and looked before deciding I wanted the P220 Compact. Then I actually picked one of and was amazed at how heavy/bulky it was. Then I ended up buying a P938 and noticed all the issues and failures posted daily and sold it before I even shot it. I picked up the P239 at a gun show and still thought it was heavy for the size. I then ventured away from Sig and started looking at polymer framed pistols and ended up settling on the H&K P2000-SK in .40 and love it. It's approx in size to the P239 only lighter. I wanted something with a little more power and it holds 10rds with one in the chamber. H&K offers the P2000-SK with the de cocker as well.

Keep in mind when your looking that the more compact you get the more reliability is affected. Everyone is different but I personally wouldn't go smaller than the P239.

Reactions: Parkdub
1 - 20 of 81 Posts