SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Sig MCX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’m brand new to this forum stuff so please accept my apologies if I posted this question in the wrong place. This is my first ever post.

I have a Sig MCX 9” 300 Blk pistol and want to install a folding rifle stock and vertical fore grip on it. I know I have to use the Form 1 to do these things but I’m not sure whether I’m building an SBR or AOW. I have heard that putting a vertical grip on a firearm classifies it as an AOW. I don’t believe I can check SBR and AOW.

Has anyone done this and/or know the answer to my question?

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
You're building an SBR. An SBR can have a vertical foregrip.

More info on what an AOW is here: What does “any other weapon" mean? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
This. Once your stamp comes back as an SBR you can put any type of grip on it you want.
If it’s your first time doing this I suggest getting somebody familiar with them to help you. They can get real particular on how manufacturer and model is written as well. Worst that’ll happen is the examiner will reach out to you and ask you to make a correction and send it back.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not a firearm lawyer (or any type of lawyer) but my understanding is that an SBR stamp kind of 'supersedes' an AOW stamp, so you could remove the stock from an SBR and keep the VFG. However, you can NOT put a stock on an AOW. Apologies in advance if that's incorrect.

Some get excited when they hear about the $5 AOW cost, but that is the transfer price for an existing AOW. It's still $200 to manufacture one. At the same as an SBR/SBS, it makes more sense to do that.

·
Registered
Sig MCX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a firearm lawyer (or any type of lawyer) but my understanding is that an SBR stamp kind of 'supersedes' an AOW stamp, so you could remove the stock from an SBR and keep the VFG. However, you can NOT put a stock on an AOW. Apologies in advance if that's incorrect.

Some get excited when they hear about the $5 AOW cost, but that is the transfer price for an existing AOW. It's still $200 to manufacture one. At the same as an SBR/SBS, it makes more sense to do that.
Thanks esh21167, what you said makes sense. Someone mentioned that once I SBR my MCX I can put any vertical fore grip on it. I want to make sure that’s correct before I do it. What he said makes sense if an SBR “Trumps” and AOW. I think I’m just hung up on what one gun store person told me that a VFG makes it an AOW. I probably just misunderstood what he was saying.

·
Registered
Sig MCX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where in the heck on the eForm Form 1 do I explain what I want to do to my MCX pistol to make it an SBR? I only see blocks for the existing pistol information like Manufacturer, Caliber, Length etc…. How does the ATF know what parts I’m adding to it in order to approve the form. I’m confused! 😵‍💫

·
Registered
218 Posts
Where in the heck on the eForm Form 1 do I explain what I want to do to my MCX pistol to make it an SBR? I only see blocks for the existing pistol information like Manufacturer, Caliber, Length etc…. How does the ATF know what parts I’m adding to it in order to approve the form. I’m confused! 😵‍💫
You don't need to include any information about what you're planning to do to your MCX pistol to make it an SBR on the eForm 1 application. The only thing you need to include in the block which asks you to specify why you intend to make the firearm is a statement like, "Investment and all other lawful purposes" or just "All lawful purposes." You don't need to list the stock, shorter barrel, vertical grip, etc. that you plan to add to your MCX once you receive your tax stamp so don't even worry about those items. Check out nationalguntrusts.com, they offer step-by-step instructions for the various ATF forms and also have ATF form generators you can use and have emailed to you which makes the process less confusing when filing for your SBR tax stamp.

·
Registered
Sig MCX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! thank you for that info. I used your advice and went to nationalguntrusts.com which made it easy. I didn't know I could leave the "description" block empty. I thought that was where I was suppose to describe what I was doing to my pistol. The box will allow very few characters so I got confused right there. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts