SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today. Went though 100 rounds of Winchester 124 Grain FMJ ammo. I had one round where I could feel the slide recoil in what felt like slow motion. There was not failure to eject or anything but it was just a very odd sensation. Did I just have a bunk round that was incapable of kicking the slide back properly?

·
P228 Sherpa
7,417 Posts
I experienced that once in a while. Never a big deal, since there were no malfunctions. Yes, it's possible you had an underpowered round, but had just enough power to cycle the slide to pick up a new round, but obviously not too low power to cause a malfunction.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Was this Winchester NATO round, or standard? If it's NATO, it'll say so on the box.

I've shot a [email protected]@t load of the NATO stuff (actually my preferred range ammo these days). It's got slightly more of a load than standard rounds, and I believe the QC is better. I suspect you just got a light load in one of your standard rounds. Happens; but I've only seen that with "cheaper" brands and reloads. Never had a problem with any of the big name US brands.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Virtually every round of factory defective ammo that I find at the range and also the ones the R.O.s find and give me, are Winchester.

It seems like their Q.C. has gone down the toilet in recent years.

Having said that, I experienced what the OP experienced once years ago with my FILs pistol. It was a lube issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's possible. However, the next time you feel anything different about how it's firing, STOP!!

Check the overall weapon, chamber and barrel. Make sure there are no obstructions cracks or missing parts.
That is sage advice. Noted.

The ammo were NATO rounds. It's my go to range ammo and it's always been very consistent.

Thanks for the assurance and advice everyone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good advice indeed......you never know if the powder charge was low and cycled the slide, but the bullet is still lodged in the barrel. Could be a multitude of scenarios cracked barrel, ect.
If it sounded and felt different always good idea to give the gun the once over....safely!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
2cnd the stop and check was shooting once and got a kinda " bumph" noise instead of a bang, dropped my mag and locked my slide back ejecting the live round that had just chambered, checked my barrel and found a bullet about .5" from the muzzle, had to hammer it out with a wood dowel, if I had pulled the trigger it could have been bad news for my face and hands,

·
Registered
23,605 Posts
I had two under-powered rounds with Underwood 10mm recently. Two different loads. Had just enough power to cycle the slide and the bullet exited the barrel. Each time I caught it and stopped. Would have been bad to shoot a full-power 10mm load with one stuck in the bore. :eek:

It happens sometimes. Always remain alert.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
WC NATO ? I just bought 2500 rounds of that stuff on sale. Been through about 500 of them without a problem on any of my pistols (Glock and Sig). I'm really surprised.

I do agree that the standard Winchester stuff is not the best ammo out there though.

Thorough cleaning, inspection, and lube seems in order here. If everything seems right, then back to the range for some functional testing. If not, then call the Sig folks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hella, could certainly have been an out of spec lightly loaded round. That being said, having used thousands of rounds of WWB ammo, mostly from Wal Mart, I've had only one round with an issue. Looked like the side of the case caught on a die during the manufacturing process, ripping open the side of the case. Other than that one time, no issues with the cheapo Winchester ammo. My most used range plinking/target ammo though is the Winchester Q4318 NATO 124 grain ball. More recently, I've also been using the IMI NATO 124 ball. Quality control with the Winchester and IMI NATO ammo I've used over the last 15-20 years has been excellent. As in no functional issues at all in any of my 9MM autoloaders, revolvers or carbines, consistent chronographed velocities,etc. Sealed case mouths, primers sealed and crimped, just excellent general range use ammo IMHO. I should add, that I fully realize that the next round of NATO or any other ammo I touch off, could be the one that has some kind of issue. There is no perfection in man made anything........

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's possible. However, the next time you feel anything different about how it's firing, STOP!!

Check the overall weapon, chamber and barrel. Make sure there are no obstructions cracks or missing parts.
^^^THIS!!!

For me every trip to the range is as much about getting to know a firearm as it is punching holes in paper. Taking the time to stop, wait a beat and inspect your weapon if you notice something is wrong or slightly unusual can make all the difference in the world.

Squibs and hang-fires do happen and really ruin your day (life)

Two weeks ago I took a new revolver to range after having installed new lighter springs. It was dialed in for a light DA for 38S and performed perfectly over 250 rounds. A buddy was shooting in the lane next to me and asked if he could squeeze off some rounds. I had a fresh box of .357M that I hadn't tried yet and he asked if he could, I said sure no problem. He loaded up 7. The first two went boom and the third went click. He proceeded to cycle quickly through the last 3 of 4 of which also had light primer strikes.
In the seconds that this happened, my heart stopped thinking if those were hang fires instead of light primer strikes, he just inadvertently placed four little bombs in the cylinder. He was totally unaware of this danger not being a revolver person.

When in doubt wait a minute with the weapon pointed in safe direction, make the weapon safe and perform an equipment check .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought 1000 rounds of the Winchester Nato 124 FMJ ammo for range use. I've gone through about 7 boxes (350) rounds of the stuff and a few boxes of other ammo before the bulk order. I tried a few different brands and of those the Winchester was as consistent as some of the others that I tried and when a good deal on 1000 rounds presented itself I jumped. This is just range plinking ammo and if a bunk round presents itself here or there I'm OK with that. That's why it's half the price of defense ammo.
I now know to stop and access better in the event of such an incident.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.