SIG Talk banner

What AR mag pouches do we like?

730 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  DBS
I'm going to start some dynamic training with my AR and would like some advice from the hive about mag pouches.

Initially the training will be rifle-only, but down the road I may get into transitions from rifle to pistol (I know there are some pouches on the market that carry pistol and rifle mags together).

What pouches/systems would you all suggest?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,987 Posts
You'll enjoy this rifle training - and learn a lot too. At least that's been my experience.

Learning tactical rifle skilles & techniques such as:

- basic rifle operations and sling handling
- timed speed drills from high & low ready positions
- different types of reloading
- changing to support hand shooting
- turning to shoot
- shooting while moving
- transitions to secondary weapon

These are fun/challenging learning experiences - that will really get your blood pumping too!! My standing rifle range times were changed forever after taking 3 of these classes. I enjoy pistol classes as well, but rifle's very special...

The most important support element of my home defense/ready gear is a battle belt rig that holds everything I'll need for an initial gun fight of up to an hour, including rifle & pistol mags. The High Speed folks are expensive, but their stuff is top quality too.

High Speed Gear, Inc. ® | Battle-Proven Tactical Gear

US Grunt Gear is a much smaller operation, actually a retired Marine - that also makes good stuff at somewhat lower prices.

usgruntgear.com

There are many other lower priced options, such as kydex holsters for regular gun belts, and simple chest rigs. These will work well too...

Cheers

· Registered
973 Posts
The most important support element of my home defense/ready gear is a battle belt rig that holds everything I'll need for an initial gun fight of up to an hour, including rifle & pistol mags. The High Speed folks are expensive, but their stuff is top quality too.

Cheers
Looked at all that. You are ready for Armageddon with those belts & add-ons.

:eek:

· Registered
3,763 Posts
One that bears the weight on your waist and not your body.
For regular training and not combat duty a belt with pouches around it will work fine.

Here is a video one of my friends did at a match a while back. Around 1:24 mark you'll see what I'm talking about as well as several others throughout the video.

https://youtu.be/vahlYycJmlM

Something like this is what I like.

High Speed Gear SUREGRIP PADDED BELT

On your chest as in a typical combat load out can become prohibitive on your movement for some stages.

· Registered
5,987 Posts
Armageddon? Yeah, a gun fight may feel like armageddon, so guess so..

Hope you never have to go to a gun fight. But, if I have to - and time permits, I'll throw on a plate carrier, battle belt - and grab my SIG516 SBR & HK45. Those plus more mags and water bottles are kept in a patrol bag beside our gun locker.

Here's the High Speed belt, HK45 in her G-Code holster and SIG516 SBR.

Cheers

Attachments

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,082 Posts
DBS, good luck...
Both kansascity45, and 7.62Kolectr have basically the same approach, and I can't fault them, for their decisions. Because that is what they feel comfortable with, and have confidence in, as part of "their survival equipment"!

I can remember my early days in the service, first in the Marines, in the early '70s carrying an M14 with canvas LBE. Then later in the Army, with an M16 and nylon ALICE LBE.

There have been a lot of improvements in recent years, so you have a lot to choose from!

If I was you, I would check with the course you are going to attend. Get an idea of how many rounds, you are going expend, on the longest exercise. If you are going to shoot a lot of prone, will you need 20 round magazines, instead of 30 rounders? How many?
Once you know how many magazines you will need, you can figure how many pouches you will need. How many pouches can you fit on your "belt"? A slim 28" waist is great, but then only so much "space" to put pouches. Yes you can piggyback pouches, but where? On the front, that could interfere with your prone position, on the sides possibly, but will you need to navigate doorways sideways?
Maybe a "chest rig" would be better, or in addition to the "battle belt"... only you can decide what will work for you.
Some of these systems can run up into big bucks, and your life is worth it... but first you need to find what works for you, then get the quality!
Condor has the basics at very reasonable pricing. Mock up what you think will work, and move pouches as necessary. Find what works for you first, it will save you in the long run.
Good luck with your planning!!!

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

· Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I was you, I would check with the course you are going to attend. Get an idea of how many rounds, you are going expend, on the longest exercise. If you are going to shoot a lot of prone, will you need 20 round magazines, instead of 30 rounders? How many?
I should have put that info in my initial post. 3 mags. 150-200 rounds for the 3 hour class. Mostly standing/kneeling.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm a relatively advanced pistol shooter and an intermediate shotgunner, and still get 10-30 hours of professional training on those platforms every year.

But for some reason I've just never embraced dynamic rifle training before. So it will be tough to be a newbie and suck at something for a while, but I'm also looking forward to the challenge of developing a new skillset.

Reactions: Willard
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.