SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent rise of terrorism and the European Police dropping those scumbags fast. I'm curious, since most European countries use 9mm and 9x18. What kind of ammo are they using?

What guns are they using if our Euro friends may know.

I know France favors the SP2022.
I think Poland also has a modified Walther P99 which is similar to the PPQ?

Input away my friends.

·
Registered
977 Posts
That's a good question - I did a quick search and couldn't find anything recent other than 9x18 is favoured and that HK, Sig Sauer and Glock are leading producers, depending on the country.

I'd hazard a guess and say NATO 124 gr. FMJ might be a good candidate for carry ammunition, considering how 'bleeding heart' most of the European countries are. None of that 'Black Talon' rubbish or such!

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Don't forget CZ for their CZ 75 series. Those are very popular with the Eastern Europeans and a Lot of other countries. After the end of the wall, the French and Spanish bought a LOT of CZ 75s. The current manufacture even has NATO purchase catalog numbers.

All of these digest the 9X19 without any hiccups.

Now I would like to contribute a few boxes of Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber for use against some their more recent problems.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,597 Posts
Once upon a time, IIRC they used the GECO "BAT" 9mm, which was a hollow core copper projectile with a plastic core plug for feeding efficiency.... Not sure today...

Attachments

Reactions: Jedi5150 and Mills

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
That's a good question - I did a quick search and couldn't find anything recent other than 9x18 is favoured and that HK, Sig Sauer and Glock are leading producers, depending on the country.
Am I reading this wrong, or are you saying that HK, SIG, and Glock produce 9x18 pistols???:confused:

I would have a hard time believing that 9x18 Makarov is more popular than 9x19 Parabellum in Europe...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Am I reading this wrong, or are you saying that HK, SIG, and Glock produce 9x18 pistols???:confused:

I would have a hard time believing that 9x18 Makarov is more popular than 9x19 Parabellum in Europe...
If you think California is bad, imagine entire countries where "military rounds" like 9x19 are banned for ALL civilians, including law enforcement.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If you think California is bad, imagine entire countries where "military rounds" like 9x19 are banned for ALL civilians, including law enforcement.
For sure, but I still believe 9x19 is a more popular police round in Europe than 9x18.

But I have to say, one of the best rounds in the world came into existence precisely because of those horrible laws. The 9.3x62 Mauser was invented because military calibers were banned, and it went on to become one of, if not the most successful hunting cartridges of all time. So for that, we should be thankful. Haha

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I would venture to say a 9mm NATO variant. Not sure if they use FMJ or JHP, but my guess is that 9mm is the overwhelming favorite.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts

Will wait for his response, but reasonably sure he meant 9x19 and not 9x18... That would be VERY hard to believe!

Reactions: Jedi5150

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think it depends on the part of Europe. Cultural differences still run deep between East and West. In the West 9x19 NATO definitely. In the East I think it's a mix of 9x19 and 9x18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's a long way from Europe but Singapore police and customs carry the Taurus 85 with Crimson Trace grips and lanyard. I don't know what load they use but I've been told it's .38 Special FMJ. I've also seen HK MP5's.

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
Once upon a time, IIRC they used the GECO "BAT" 9mm, which was a hollow core copper projectile with a plastic core plug for feeding efficiency.... Not sure today...
No! Look at the box top. Batman would use way cooler ammo than that! :D

Reactions: bronicabill

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
A friend of mine who is with German Customs carries a P30 in 9mm.
I"m gonna ask him about the ammo they issue and report back.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Had a chat with my buddy today. German Customs carries the P90 in 9x19 with 15 + 15 rounds hollowpoint.
The German federal police packs the same pistol but no spare, so only 15 rounds. Same ammo though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts