SIG Talk banner

West German P220

1929 17
I just purchased a WG P220 that by date code KC (1992). I'm still learning about the earlier guns, this one has all 3 matching serial numbers and what appears to be all the proper proof marks. The thing Im trying to figure out is what should the finish on one of these guns be i.e. Nitron, blued, etc. and how are you supposed to tell.

http://imgur.com/a/oiRKM

Thanks

Les
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It actually came with the original plastic grips instead of the rosewood ones in the picture along with the box manual and target.

The finish looked almost like Nitron and with blued guns I'm used to seeing a smoother shiner finish than this has.

Thanks for the info, trying to soak up as much as I can about these guns.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,081 Posts
Congratulations, on the newest acquisition. Yes, the blue on the W. German P220s is almost what we would call a "brushed" finish, not "gloss", nor "matte", but in between!

Those grips are eye catching, and set it apart from the others, as much as the G-10s do, but just a little "Classier".

Enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK quick question, will set of grips off of a new P220 elite fit on this gun?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,081 Posts
OK quick question, will set of grips off of a new P220 elite fit on this gun?
It depends on their relief cuts for the mainspring assembly. Newer models have a plastic mainspring seat with a different spring and strut, than yours does. You have the older style "spur" hammer. I found when I initially tried to convert my '90 model to the newer polymer 2 piece grips, I needed to replace my hammer with the newer style hammer with the rounded spur rather that the pointed spur. Also your hammer doesn't have a reset spring which will be needed, if you convert to the newer style hammer.
Being the newer Elite grips are wood, which are normally thicker, it is possible they could be inleted to work on your pistol, but I couldn't swear to it. Actually they look like what you already have!

I have included a picture of mine, showing the hammer I removed, along with the mainspring assembly I replaced.

Attachments

Reactions: asdfzxcv
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.