SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

· Registered
1,493 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I hadn't considered this previously, but Sig is headed more and more toward military sales. I feel like eventually there might be a break point when they end up like HK. A couple of items (like pistols) that they sell to consumers, but the vast majority of products for military/LE only. For the newer Sig fans who are into striker fired stuff, probably no big deal. For those of us who love the classic series, I feel like it may be the end of an era. Or, maybe that already happened and I failed to notice.

· Registered
7,843 Posts
Reaction score
Sig, like any major Stateside company, will eventually go woke. As the boardroom gets younger (woker), choices for older, more traditional customers will get scarcer. That Sig has made a major push, to gain traction within the establishment government procurement process, will even lead to some moves, that aren’t necessarily the best business model, but will satisfy the overlords.

Remember, any business‘s main purpose, is to make a profit. Satisfying customer desires, is only important as a means to retain the customer base. If you aren’t the customer base, you aren’t important. 🤷‍♂️

· Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Reaction score
Or they intend to no longer employ Americans.
Robotics and remote operation. We have drone aircraft and Police robots. Why not drone tanks and infantry robots? Develop the tech or buy and extend it - which is faster and cheaper?

· Registered
468 Posts
Reaction score
I can't see the future. No one here can.

And I do love many of the old P series guns. The P210 and P225 among them. But it only makes logical sense that overtime the scaling down of older, metal framed, hammer fired guns will get less and less. I see that complaint here a lot. But it's simply smart business. Will SIG completely stop making the these guns anytime soon or ever.No. But the market wants poly and striker. It's just gun evolution.

· Registered
5,628 Posts
Reaction score
I don't think Sig is going to end up like HK. Sig has been crushing it for years in terms of sales and is now one of the biggest players in the industry - HK's financial history has been iffy, to put it kindly. Despite numerous mil contracts, HK has hovered near bankruptcy many times.

I think Sig, given its scale and manufacturing capacity (which is many, many times that of HK) is entirely capable of continuing to cater to the civilian market and meeting mil contract needs. In fact, I could see those two sides of the operation potentially splitting apart to focus on what they each do best. It's not necessarily an "either/or" dilemma.

There are aspects of incorporating more robotics into the manufacturing process that could be immensely helpful. Sig has already been using CNC for many years (as have all the other big players) - robotics could make those processes even more efficient. But none of that precludes Sig's ability to continue to manufacture excellent hammer guns - if that aspect of the business winds down, it's going to be because of a lack of market demand, not because of Sig's mil contract work.

· 🎖USAF Retired
1,204 Posts
Reaction score

I hadn't considered this previously, but Sig is headed more and more toward military sales. I feel like eventually there might be a break point when they end up like HK. A couple of items (like pistols) that they sell to consumers, but the vast majority of products for military/LE only. For the newer Sig fans who are into striker fired stuff, probably no big deal. For those of us who love the classic series, I feel like it may be the end of an era. Or, maybe that already happened and I failed to notice.
It's probably the smart business move that moves them further from the civilian gun control debate while positioning them better for lucrative government contracts. On the other hand, it could drop them right into the fire regarding autonomous armed robots.

· Registered
284 Posts
Reaction score
I doubt it. Colt tried that and went bankrupt multiple times. Military contracts are great for a quick infusion of capitol, if you can get it. Once the initial capitol it is a long time for more.

· Registered
7,843 Posts
Reaction score
Robotics and remote operation. We have drone aircraft and Police robots. Why not drone tanks and infantry robots? Develop the tech or buy and extend it - which is faster and cheaper?
And……with remote un manned weaponry, they won’t have to worry about cold feet within the ranks, when the unsavory depopulation orders come down.
Boy, doesn’t that give you the warm and fuzzy’s

· Registered
5,628 Posts
Reaction score
I'd rather see robot 'fatalities' on the battlefield than our servicemen and women.

War has been headed in this direction for a while now, and there are already lots of prototypes being tested (if not quietly employed) in various operating spaces. I always find it kinda funny that we, as civilians, focus so much on things like handgun choices in the military - this is largely just a hip accessory, and not where the real focus is at all.

Why send your people into a building with small arms and risk casualties, when you can just send a swarm of networked micro-drones instead?

· Registered
139 Posts
Reaction score
Sig, like any major Stateside company, will eventually go woke. As the boardroom gets younger (woker), choices for older, more traditional customers will get scarcer. That Sig has made a major push, to gain traction within the establishment government procurement process, will even lead to some moves, that aren’t necessarily the best business model, but will satisfy the overlords.

Remember, any business‘s main purpose, is to make a profit. Satisfying customer desires, is only important as a means to retain the customer base. If you aren’t the customer base, you aren’t important. 🤷‍♂️
Pretty soon their guns will only be designed to shoot off genitals.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts