SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to subvets hog roast today. While there, I took some pics of some old rifle..
SKS original, and registered. Cant show the paperwork, as it has personal data on there. 1967 Vietnam era war trophy. And some pics of other items.
We also had two sub Sailors there from WW2, one on the Barb and one on the Bowfin.. War Heroes, if your bored look those two boats up. One blew a train up and a Medal of Honor went to skipper for other things.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
To the Silent Service, I salute. Those WWII diesel boat submariners definitely had the stones. Wish I coulda been there to here some stories!

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
the bowfin's at pearl harbor, next to the launch area going out to the arizona.
Sub base. Lived there from '70-'72 and drove by it a couple of times a day.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
The submarine service had the highest percentage of casualties of any branch of any service. This includes B 17s flying over Germany.
They didn't have reliable torpedo's until 1943, due to the Navy design engineers (At Arlington) not believing the their designs were faulty. It wan't until German Torpedo's were captured and duplicated that the US fleet had a reliable design.

Read "Eagle against the Sun" to see all of the challenges that the bravest and most outnumbered branch of the services accomplished.Without them, Japan's supply lines into the South China Sea, Guadalcanal and New Guinea would have been unhampered.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
An often overlooked group from the "Greatest Generation". God bless them in there twilight years especially since the following generations lack appropriate appreciation of their sacrifices and accomplishments. Heroes each and everyone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice to see my fellow subvets getting together to roast Jane Fonda. But, I gotta imagine, good old Jane is one tough stringy meat! Let's all raise a toast when Janey meets her maker. BOHICA

·
Registered
327 Posts
Those WWII Subvets are some of the finest Americans that ever served this country. Talking to them is a history lesson in itself. RIP to all those that gave all and BZ to the fortunate ones that came home to tell the stories. They don't make many Red Ramage's anymore.

·
Read Only
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those WWII Subvets are some of the finest Americans that ever served this country. Talking to them is a history lesson in itself. RIP to all those that gave all and BZ to the fortunate ones that came home to tell the stories. They don't make many Red Ramage's anymore.
Talking to Willy Jones when he was on the Barb. He is in Admirals Fluckeys book, pictured topside with a gun. Men is an understatement. They had a very little chance of coming home.
Willy was Admiral Fluckeys porter.. Awesome man to meet. And talk to.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Talking to Willy Jones when he was on the Barb. He is in Admirals Fluckeys book, pictured topside with a gun. Men is an understatement. They had a very little chance of coming home.
Willy was Admiral Fluckeys porter.. Awesome man to meet. And talk to.
Barb's crew under Fluckey were the only men to ever conduct boots on the ground combat operations on the Japanese Homeland when they went ashore and blew up a train. I think Fluckey had already been awarded a MOH before that war patrol if I recall. Larger than Life.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts