SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have read a few threads about the good and bad of the 224...please tell me your thoughts from all of u...i love my early p220 and if this is like i am told a scaled down version of the 226...this sounds like a perfect fit to me...i like well made heavy guns so the weight will not bother me...i have carried for a long time a early Colt Detective Special too...i would love to hear from those who have owned these and carried them too...thanks in advance God Bless,John

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I have owned and sold two P224's...a 9mm and a 357Sig. It's just a P229 with a short grip. I think you'd have to be a pretty big guy to ankle carry a 224. The gun is fine operationally, but I just prefer a 229. I personally would not buy another one because it didn't conceal any better than a 229 on me.

Would this a Primary or a BUG?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this will be my primary as i am carrying a old 56 colt agent right now and i would like to get back to my sig love ...
I carry my 220 in my galco ccp but this needs to be a ccw

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey i used to carry a 61 smith model 38 for many years and Dad decided he reallt wanted it ....so i have had the Colt since

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have owned and sold two P224's...a 9mm and a 357Sig. It's just a P229 with a short grip. I think you'd have to be a pretty big guy to ankle carry a 224. The gun is fine operationally, but I just prefer a 229. I personally would not buy another one because it didn't conceal any better than a 229 on me.

Would this a Primary or a BUG?
I'm with Czechvar on this. Sold my 224 when a good deal came along on a M11A1. I found myself carrying the 224 with the extended grip because I didn't feel confident about getting a good firm grip quickly if needed with the short mag.
I would think the 224 would feel like a brick on your ankle but I haven't tried any ankle carry as of yet. What about the 938?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm 6'0", 250, and I'd think twice about carrying a 224 in an ankle rig. Just too thick imho. But if you do go that route, consider the Alessi ankle holster. It rocks. Got one for a 640/940 that I really like. Alessigunholsters.com.

I'd also give serious consideration to a 938 for a 9mm BUG, especially if your primary is a 9mm. To me an ankle holster is all about width and weight. Those 938s would probably beat out the 640 if I didn't already have a setup for the 640.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well i really like the 938 but really like the looks of the 224 and the setup like the 229 and 226...
I am real tall at 6'4"
i have yet to hold the p224 in my hands but i am told they are very close in size to the glock 26 ..and i have handled one of those.,.the grip it very small i agree..Are they the same thickness as the 220's?
Thank u all for the honest evaluation too....i found a 239 here locally and kinda thought about making that one work but was not totally sold on it....really like it but not for a ankle rig
and i love alessi leather goods...they are made near where i am from too...so it makes them even more desirable too...
i have found it hard to beat my Galco ankle glove for comfort and usability too....

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I really am curious as to why you want to carry at the ankle. Are you mostly seated? Driving all day? If not, I'd really suggest you opt for another carry position. Years ago I worked an UC assignment and had to carry with ankle holster. I must say I hated it. The ankle holster never stayed in place, loosened as it drifted downward and would start spinning out of position. And, honestly, had I ever really needed to get at it I'd have been in real trouble. I was taught to kneel down on one leg and reach to the opposite leg to get it; or, sit down flat on my bottom with knees up and reach for it that way. Either method is just too damn slow for my liking.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i have carried on my ankle for close to 20 years....and i think it is one of the most comfortable ways to carry....my Dad can not understand why i prefer it either...i am up and down all day...most days on my feet all day....i agree with older holsters will not stay in place and were miserable and were nothing but problems...till i got the Galco ankle glove...and honestly i have yet to find a better one too...they are not cheap but worth every cent in my opinion too...i have been a runner most of my life and i am very tall..i have used weighted ankle weights to help improve bursts and stamina and that might be why it does not bother me...just the way it feels most comfortable unless i am wearing shorts and then i will go back to my old stand by colt agent from 1956...that is my favorite pocket gun...God Bless,John

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I just noticed you're in NY, so you have to stick to 10 rounds or less, right?

Whatever works for you is fine with me. In my opinion, the 224 is even blockier than a G26. You may want to revisit the 239. A 9mm P239 will give you 8+1, it is a very solid and well regarded pistol. I've probably owned and sold 5 or 6 of them. They are one of the most accurate Sigs, and capacity fits your State.

It is not micro small, but it is a slim single stack and no rail. If the 938 doesn't seem your favorite choice, then a 239 might feel better.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well u are correct 10 or less...i normally carry less than capacity anyway
I really like the 239 but i am worried it is too big for the ankle....u seem.like u have handled and owned quite a few of these...how does the 239 vs 224 compare for size?
I am thinking of going to lgs who has a 239 in 40s&w with a 357 sig parts available too...
I really like the size of the 224 for carry and i agree that the 938 is also a great piece too
I would love to see side by side pics of some if these too...appreciate all the help
God Bless,John

·
Registered
388 Posts
I really am curious as to why you want to carry at the ankle. Are you mostly seated? Driving all day? If not, I'd really suggest you opt for another carry position. Years ago I worked an UC assignment and had to carry with ankle holster. I must say I hated it. The ankle holster never stayed in place, loosened as it drifted downward and would start spinning out of position. And, honestly, had I ever really needed to get at it I'd have been in real trouble. I was taught to kneel down on one leg and reach to the opposite leg to get it; or, sit down flat on my bottom with knees up and reach for it that way. Either method is just too damn slow for my liking.
Totally agree - never liked the ankle rigs of 25 years ago. The Lou Alessi rig? It has a big hunk of felt that wraps around the ankle. It ain't going anywhere. But, I agree, I'm about 10x as fast with a IWB strong side holster than I am with an ankle rig.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I have actually laid a 239 and a 229 on top of each other and side by side... and taken pictures which are all gone now. The 239 is not really much smaller except in the thickness. You're just going to have to handle them and see, this ankle holster stuff is uncharted waters for me.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Can't see how you could get to it or draw from ankle carry without going into a weak position of either bent over or on your knee? Very vulnerable both will make you.
But if you must what not a Glock 43?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i am not a glock guy...they are great guns...just not for me...i am considering a alien gear IWB holster i seen here recently...but i still love my ankle holsters...

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The first sig pistol that comes to mind for me regarding ankle carry would be the p232. It has been discontinued but you can still find them around. Another drawback is that it is a 380 but it is worth a look.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I have never mastered Ankle Carry. I have tried and tried. I want to but cannot seem to make it work. I have a 224 and cannot imagine ankle carrying (I couldn't even master ankle carrying a Kel Tec, though). I OCCASIONALLY carry a glock 27 in an Alien Gear IWB. Keep meaning to get one for the Sig 224 but have not gotten it done yet. They are quite similar in size. Sig is heavier, of course.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.