SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the family to the range yesterday and had some weird behavior out of my P320. Originally set up as a 9MM Compact I purchased the .357 exchange kit and the .40 barrel. I have several hundred rounds through all of these combos without any issues.

I was using the .40 barrel and my typical Winchester .40 ammo and had 3 failures to fire (primer impacted but no fire) in 3 magazines (~30 rounds). I attributed it to the ammo so I swapped to American Eagle .40 and had 2 stovepipes out of the first 2 rounds then the 3rd failed to eject at all. The slide was stuck, I couldn't move it at all. Went to the range officer and he disappeared into the office came back and said "I cleared it" but didn't provide any details.

By this time the wife and kids were ready to go so I didn't get a chance to see if the issue was fixed or not. I intend to give it a good cleaning and lube. Has anyone else ever experienced this or know of any issues?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have had failure to fires and feeds with WWB ammo. I have had cases that are longer than spec and fail to chamber.

I have only had one stovepipe in my P320 and it was because of dirty ammo and a dirty gun. Once I cleaned the gun (make sure you get the extractor) it was perfectly fine. You can try and cycle some snap caps or something to make sure the feed and extract is working properly.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Did you also clean the shipping lube out of the striker channel area ? It can make a sticky striker do to powder and brass build up / Leave clean and bon dry . I don't use WWB ammo . Only a better class of premium and home rolled ammo .

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. I've never had this problem. Not sure if it means much better I've run a bunch of WWB through my P250s 40SW with no problems whatsoever. I've also run a bunch of that cheap Perfecta stuff through my P320s with no problems. In my experience, none of my SIGs have every been picky about ammo - assuming its brass.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you also clean the shipping lube out of the striker channel area ? It can make a sticky striker do to powder and brass build up / Leave clean and bon dry . I don't use WWB ammo . Only a better class of premium and home rolled ammo .
I thought I had cleaned it rather well. I picked it up back in Feb, cleaned it shot it, cleaned it (repeat :) )

I will give it a thorough cleaning before I hit the range again. Thanks for the ideas guys, will keep you updated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You said you have used that slide/caliber combo before without issues? WWB is way too inconsistent for me to use (had a blooper round in one not too long ago - like a squib load, but the bullet cleared the barrel).
That being said, that seems like a lot of hang ups for just one box of ammo, even WWB.
Did you inspect your extractor or firing pin for any problems?

·
Registered
726 Posts
So I took the family to the range yesterday and had some weird behavior out of my P320. Originally set up as a 9MM Compact I purchased the .357 exchange kit and the .40 barrel. I have several hundred rounds through all of these combos without any issues.

I was using the .40 barrel and my typical Winchester .40 ammo and had 3 failures to fire (primer impacted but no fire) in 3 magazines (~30 rounds). I attributed it to the ammo so I swapped to American Eagle .40 and had 2 stovepipes out of the first 2 rounds then the 3rd failed to eject at all. The slide was stuck, I couldn't move it at all. Went to the range officer and he disappeared into the office came back and said "I cleared it" but didn't provide any details.

By this time the wife and kids were ready to go so I didn't get a chance to see if the issue was fixed or not. I intend to give it a good cleaning and lube. Has anyone else ever experienced this or know of any issues?
I had the exact same problem. Originally bought the P320 in subcompact and after buying the .357sig conversion, I got consistant failure to fire wiht light primer strikes on several shots. It usually happens on the first round and then after that gun works fine. I been using Sig's performance FMJ ammo. I am disappointed because I don't think I can trust this for a carry gun. Non of my other pistols do this.

I should have bought Glock .357 but the reason I did not because it is harder to conceal, the grip is too big, and the trigger is less than spactacular.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all this FTE FTF...light primer strikes...

is on the old gen p320 (more or less 2016 and before) or new gen (november 2016 and after) ?
My 9mm Compact was manufactured in Feb 2017. I've never had an issue with the 9mm slide, only the .357/.40 (I need to look at the date on that)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might have to lube a little more than normal. Sigs have tight tolerances and need a break in period. I say this because my Sig 1911 had the same issues with every mag i ran, mostly ftf. After juicing it up i ran 150 rounds flawlessly. I did this with my 320 out the box and no issues 600 rds later. This may or may not be your problem but worth a try.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might have to lube a little more than normal. Sigs have tight tolerances and need a break in period. I say this because my Sig 1911 had the same issues with every mag i ran, mostly ftf. After juicing it up i ran 150 rounds flawlessly. I did this with my 320 out the box and no issues 600 rds later. This may or may not be your problem but worth a try.
Will do. I didn't think to mark the mags (I have several). Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Radkon, this is what Sig told me to do. At first i thought wth but it worked. I have the fullsize 320 and wanted to get the kit to run .357 too so im curious to see if this clears up the problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the delay in updating this but I wanted to be sure before I followed up.

Gave all the gear a thorough cleaning and generous lube (oil and a few dabs of grease on the slide).

Ran 5~6 mags of .40 and 3 of .357 and not a single stove pipe or FTE.

Still had 2 soft primer strikes with FTF but I attribute that to the .40 S&W ammo (Remington White box). Ran Blazer 180 grain and American Eagle 165 grain with no issues.

Not a single issue with the .357 (also Remington 125 grain)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:

I waited awhile to post this but here's the update:

I sent the P320 back to Sig for the FCU "upgrade" in January and left the .40 barrel in the slide instead of the .357 barrel. Although Sig did not mention any barrel fitting or repairs other than the FCU update, I haven't had a single issue with the .40 in the .357 slide since then. At least 4~5 trips to the range and several hundred rounds of .40 and .357 and its back to eating any ammo I run through it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.