SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my P229 is exceptional. Love just about everything about it over my Glock. One thing I do miss about the Glock is the very positive and forceful reset. Even my CZs have what feels like a reset assist (trigger return).

This P229 seems to have a very very weak trigger return or reset assist. It is all factory.

Can anything be done to help with a more positive reset?

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
You can get the SRT or a GreyGuns adjustable trigger for it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think he's referring to having some force to the reset, although a SRT or grayguns would drastically shorten the reset length. I've never really though about it but I don't think anyone makes a "heavier" trigger spring. Maybe someone out there does, if so I've never seen one. Personally I wouldn't mess with mine but maybe if you took the spring out and bent it just a little bit so it was applying more force to the trigger, it would be better. Or buy a new one and see if that helps

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
I would think any added reset force is going to be added to the trigger pull weight as well.
Correct.

Remove trigger bar spring and see how the trigger bar feels moving it up and down by finger pressure without the spring. Make sure the spring provides adequate tension. How does reset feel without the right side grip on? Perhaps there's some interference going on.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Being mostly a Glock shooter for the past twenty-five years, I can tell you that you likely aren't going to duplicate the Glock reset feel in your P series.

Even though I love the reset of a Glock, I don't find the Sig reset objectionable.

I can't say that about other handguns. The early generation M&P pistols were some of the worst. Heck, even my VP9 reset seems sluggish compared to the Glock.

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
ray1970,

I might'a been misunderstanding what the OP was asking?

There isn't a lot of force from the trigger return spring in a P229 (or other classic P), I just went an measured mine at 1 lb w/Lyman digital scale. Gun has later loop style TB spring. One pound doesn't feel like a lot, but provides quite positive trigger forward movement. The gun has short reset and a trigger overtravel stop (the overtravel stop cuts the short reset in half again), so reset measured at the bottom of the trigger where distance is longest, is all of 3/32" - it's dang short.

When reset occurs in a gun with SRT, the TB is not moving upwards much as the TB tab clears the sear side arm and clicks upward about 1/8" into position to pull the sear arm forward on the next trigger pull. The TB doesn't have much mass and may be further damped by lube between it and the frame, so it doesn't go clunk or provide a lot of tactile feedback when resetting. On my example that matters not, as it feels almost like any forward trigger movement is enough to reset.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Perhaps I misunderstood.

I read it that he really loved his Sig but that it didn't have the forceful, snappy trigger return of a Glock.

Then I thought he was asking if there was anything he could do to make the Sig trigger return forceful and positive like the Glock.

But, it was a long day so I am kind of in a bit of a fog this evening.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The soft/weak/lazy/soggy trigger reset of the traditional DA/SA Sigs is about the only consistent gripe I've had with them since I started shooting them in the '80s. Installation of the SRT will make trigger reset much shorter, quicker and more positive in feel. With the SRT, trigger reset will feel more like the Glock you're used to.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The soft/weak/lazy/soggy trigger reset of the traditional DA/SA Sigs is about the only consistent gripe I've had with them since I started shooting them in the '80s. Installation of the SRT will make trigger reset much shorter, quicker and more positive in feel. With the SRT, trigger reset will feel more like the Glock you're used to.
Thanks, I'm going to give that a try with a new trigger return spring. Might bend it some too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.