SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What mods can you do that won't void the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have read this here previously, from knowledgeable people (Buds for one), and have got to say:

-either this is wrong; how could replacing a sight, or adding an OEM safety, possibly compromise SIG's warranty responsibility?
or:
-SIG's customer service is incredibly bad, the very worst in the industry.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
Moon

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
SIGs warranty is good......no different than modifying a new car......The manufacturers stand behind their process with factory parts......

·
Registered
846 Posts
Even changing the grips is included if You send it in for warranty work.
Not even close. I've seen firearms covered under warranty that had parts changed. changing and modifying parts is vastly different. Grip and sight changes do not affect the warranty in any manner.

·
Registered
886 Posts
RDS40, I like your answer better, and that sounds more like what we expect from the firearms industry.
Smith & Wesson has been very tolerant about warranty work (used guns especially), and I'd expect no less from other quality brands.
All of my poly SIGs wear different parts than they were born with, whether grip modules, sights or safeties.
Moon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's parts of an email to me from Sig 2 days ago regarding warranty work....

After-market accessories or parts MUST BE REMOVED from the gun and/or case prior to shipping. This includes lights, laser- products and scopes not produced by Sig Sauer........

INCLUDING ITEMS & AFTER-MARKET ALTERATIONS:

*Sig Sauer, Inc has the right to refuse service - warranty or elective - on any firearm that has aftermarket alterations made, after-market items installed, or after-market finish applied. Firearms received in such a condition are not covered by the SIG SAUER Limited Lifetime Firearms Warranty, and Sig Sauer, Inc. does not guarantee or warranty any work performed on a firearm which is received with after-market alterations made, after-market parts installed, or after-market finish applied. SIG SAUER is not responsible for damage incurred to after-market accessories, parts, or finishes during transit to or from our facilities or while your firearm is in SIG SAUER’s possession

~Please be aware that any photos, media, letters, receipts and/or fired shell casings included with the gun may not be returned.

*Sig Sauer, Inc has the right to refuse service - warranty or elective - on any firearm that has after-market alterations made, after-market items installed or after-market finish applied.

*Please note that the Full Service Package and Sig Service Package involve the use of an ultrasonic cleaner. Some after-market finishes may become damaged or deteriorate in this solution.

*Firearm owner will be responsible for charges and/or fees to correct any after-market installation(s) or modification(s) associated with performance/functional issues

·
Registered
335 Posts
*Firearm owner will be responsible for charges and/or fees to correct any after-market installation(s) or modification(s) associated with performance/functional issues
They HAVE TO COVER THEIR BUTTS with exceptionally harsh statements like that or they would be fixing every gosh-awful mess that Bubba jazzed up!

And SIG is not the only company that tells people to remove after market parts before sending in the gun. In fact, if I remember correctly, Ruger states that if you send in your gun with after market parts, those parts may just disappear......or words to that effect. And Ruger is highly toted "by all" to have the best customer service of all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Henry Ford used to mark OEM parts on his cars with Ford or Ford logos going so far to even marking bolt heads with a script F. He was so afraid that people would take advantage of his warranty policies. He was a thrifty sort.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Earlier this year I sent in a 1991 P228 (which had the sights changed to Tru-Glo TFO's) for the FSP and specified they were to be left alone and Sig had no issues whatsoever, so barring any actual non-Sig armorer's modifications I believe you're OK.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,130 Posts
Just make sure what ever mods you do you can put the stock parts back on in the event you have to send you gun in for warranty service.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I would not have a problem sending in a P365 or any gun with different sights.
Sights just are not enough of a change to Void any Warranty..unless your Issue is "Sight" related..if so put the OEM Sights back on.

Past that if I had to send my P365 to Sig I would:

* Put the OEM Trigger back in.

* Put the Original Grip Module On and remove the XL Grip it now has.

* Remove The Manual Safety that I installed.

Then when it was back to OEM status

The word is... that if you are having issues with your gun "Any Gun"
* Remove all of the Mods that you installed and put it back to OEM.
* Take it to the Range.
* If it shoots perfect without issue..then look at the Mods you installed and see where you went wrong.
* If it still has the same problematic issue(s)..Send it off for repair.

When It comes back I will put everything that I took off back on and In.

Now that's just me..Govern yourself to your will..
I ultimately hope that no issue comes up that I need to get Sig involved

·
Registered
846 Posts
After-market accessories or parts MUST BE REMOVED from the gun and/or case prior to shipping. This includes lights, laser- products and scopes not produced by Sig Sauer........
Of course they require that. The techs aren't going to be responsible for your parts while it sits waiting for service or damage to them. Aftermarket does not include grips, sights or permanent items.

Aftermarket triggers can be removed. If not there is the chance that some parts such as springs might be restored to factory spec. If you had one of Bruce's or Springer's steel recoil rods it's wise to remove. Not for the warranty but it may get misplaced along the way.

·
Registered
886 Posts
So you think one would have issue with sending in a factory non safety 365 model that had a sig safety installed?
Have a hard time imagining what issue they would have with OEM parts, correctly installed.
Especially since installing a factory safety doesn't require disturbing any other parts.
Moon

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Have a hard time imagining what issue they (Sig) would have with OEM parts, correctly installed.
Especially since installing a factory safety doesn't require disturbing any other parts.
With the P365..Unlike the P320 the FCU is not to be removed!
SO
Technically If you removed the FCU You already Voided the Sig Warranty
Let alone remove the OEM Trigger and Install a Trigger or a Manual Safety or in my case both.

The Owners Manual clearly states that Disassembly of the P365 stops after the Slide, Barrel & Recoil Spring are removed.

Yes Sig sells Grip Modules, Trigger, Manual Safety..but all state they are to be installed by a Sig Qualified Armorer..Good Luck on finding that person outside of Sig Sauer's Factory.
It's like Sig knows it happens and Sig does not mind making the profits on the Parts & Accessories..they just don't want to know about it.

If anyone has sent a Modified P365 into Sig for Service even an actual Sig Flat Trigger installed.What was Sig's Response to it.?
Plus I'll repeat..if you are having Issues with a Modified P365 you really have to put it back to Original and confirm that the Issue remains.
If the Issue goes away then look at the Modifications that were made to the gun.
Nothing worse than to send a 365 back to Sig for an issue and Sig discovers it was your fault per the mods made to their gun.
That would be embarrassing!

·
Registered
35 Posts
So since I changed to XL grip, I would have to change back to the standard grip.to.send it to Sig? No other mods done to the gun.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'll take my chances on the OEM safety and the Dawson sights.
If the gun actually has to go back for service, as the IRA was fond of observing, we'll blow up that bridge when we come to it.
Moon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts