SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy.

I'm in the market for a new piston driven AR in 5.56. I currently own the Sig 716 and really like it but like I said I want something chambered in 5.56.

Right now I'm torn between:

Sig 516 - (seems obvious) never shot one and want to know if they are anything like the 716 cause mine has been super reliable and accurate.

Sig 556xi - I really like the look of this and although it seems a little different than what I'm used to, I'm OK with experimenting something new

Ruger SR 556 - I know it's not a sig, but from reviews I've read it's seems almost the same as the Sig 516.. But I'd like to know from boots on the ground who've shot it. I really like rugers, I own a few of their rifles and revolvers but nothing built on the AR platform.

Scar 16s - Well I'm probably going to get one of these one day regardless, I didn't like handling the Scar 17s which is why I bought a Sig 716 in the first place. But the Scar 16s feels just nice and I'm intrigued by that platform's design and features.

For what it's worth, I probably won't be doing and competitions with whatever I get, at least not anytime soon. Just want something accurate and reliable that I can customize for whatever purpose.

Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
If it's my money, I would be torn between the 516 and the Scar. The Scar is an awesome rifle, but it is a little pricey, and it needs a better stock. The 516 is the benchmark of piston ARs, which for some may seem boring, but atleast it won't dissapoint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will look into that ARAK 21. That sounds really nice. Plus I reckon you can't have too many firearms in 5.56 and I like the idea of a long stroke system.

I actually ended up getting a PWS MK114 chambered in .223 Wylde. It's really nice, also uses a long stroke piston.

I kind of wish I would have hit up the LWRC promo offer though for the free aimpoint. But it is what it is.

And while I was at the local gun store, they gave me a super good deal on a preowned Scar 17s that had 50 rounds through it and looked brand new inside and out. Now I get to compare it first hand to my Sig 716.

So I walked away pretty happy from there, other than the fact I had to sell my 65 mustang to fund some of this.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Build your own rifle with an Adam Arms piston kit. It's extremely easy to do and you can get exactly want you want versus buying additional parts to switch out on a stock AR. As I learned, the only downfall is ensuring your forend is compatible with the height of the piston kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up my 556xi. It looked good from the pictures I saw online. Picked it up out of the box and the disappointment started. First the folding stock is about two inches too short for me. I am only about 5'10". Telescoping stock will not be available until later in the summer. Cheek rest is a must due to the small folding stock as well. Grip is a little small as well. I needed a two rail system for the front. Not available yet but you can order a quad rail system for later for about $140. I forget when the rail rail system will be available. Some great features are the safety, mag release, and bolt handle are ambidextrous. Love the trigger dry firing. I have not been able to take it to the range yet. I tried to trade the 556xi in with a dealer. Took it to 5 different places, no one would trade it for anything. The highest offer for it was a little over $600. I guess Sig's current rep for poor quality is getting noticed. Sorry. Best bet is to look at something other than the 556xi

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've had my Gen 2 516 for almost 3 years now and I love it!!

It is very reliable and extremely accurate once I found the ammo she likes. (77gr SSA 5.56 OTM by Nosler)

I don't have any experience with the others listed, so I can't elaborate on those. I would imagine that the 516 would be very familiar to you because you already own the it's big brother, the 716.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts