SIG Talk banner

Walther P99

1753 8
I'd like to hear from you P99 owners on the advantages of this gun. I keep salivating over one at my LGS, which I have fondled so much recently that I'm on the verge of having to buy by default. I love the way it feels in my hands, and it has a unique firing system which I "think" could be a really good alternative to pick btwn the DA/SA and striker fire guns. Just thinking about that added measure of safety. Although I never leave my guns lying around for someone to pick up, that extra bit of safety that comes as the result of having that heavier first pull always draws me. Thoughts on why this gun is a good choice?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,313 Posts
Well, I have shot a friend's P99 but not extensively. I thought it shot well, although like the PPQ it had a bit more muzzle flip than I would have expected. I thought the decocker button was a bit awkward to use, but not terrible.

Just as with a traditional double action, hammer-fired pistol, the transition from DA to SA trigger pull would need to be practiced and mastered.

In my opinion, the trigger pull on the Walther PPQ is too light for my comfort level for a carry weapon. If I were to purchase a polymer-frame, striker-fired Walther it would be the P99.

· Registered
977 Posts
I have a Walther P99 AS 9 mm full size. I bought it new in March 2016 and have put 925 rounds through it. I have the large backstrap on it and the only thing I did was replace the sights with some Trijicon Bright and Tough night sights. This wasn't my first Walther either, I have PPQs in 9mm and 45 ACP. The rest of my pistols are DA/SA Sigs and CZs.

I bought this pistol specifically for home defense and wanted the AS trigger. The fact that the P99 has second-strike capability was a plus for me, also. The trigger pull is certainly different from my other DA/SA pistols, and it did take time to get used to it. However, at this point I shoot is as well as my other pistols. I have found it very enjoyable to shoot so getting used to the trigger was quite fun.

The pistol has functioned flawlessly for me. The uncocked pull is 9 lbs -8oz and the cocked pull is 5 lbs-3 oz. So, the uncocked pull is similar to the DA pull in my other pistols, and the cocked pull is heavier than the SA mode on the DA/SA pistols or in my PPQs. Personally, I very fine with that situation as a slightly heavier pull is something I would prefer in a stressful situation like a home defense scenario.

Some folks have used Sprinco or DPM recoil systems to ease the muzzle flip for better follow-up shots. From what I've read, their impact is very individual-specific. I elected to stay with the stock recoil spring assembly. Naturally, you may have a different opinion which is perfectly fine.

As you have seen, the ergonomics of the P99 are really nice. However, the grip texturing didn't lock in my hand very well. I placed the rubberized Talon grips on the P99 and the pistol locks in my grip really well now. I've used them on my PPQs and am quite satisfied with their functionality and durability.

Takedown is very easy and the decocker is useful because you don't have to press the trigger to release the striker.

There is a Walther Forum and they have a subforum specifically on the P99 that you might find helpful if you haven't already looked it over. I have found that forum to be very useful for specific information on my Walthers.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how things work out for you.

· Registered
1,313 Posts
The thing about the P99 is that I suspect you could get a somewhat better trigger action in a DA/SA hammer-fired pistol, and there are certainly so pretty decent polymer-frame DA/SA pistols. So unless you really want a Walther or really want a striker-fired pistol, those choices might possibly make more sense.

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, very much, gentlemen.

· Registered
560 Posts
I have one and it is one of a handful of striker fired pistols that has not been purged from my safe. I prefer hammer fired. The de-cocker is just a little awkward but is good enuff. The Magnum Research MR9 with the 4 1/2" barrel is my favorite striker fired pistol. The frame is by Walther and the slide is by Magnum Research. It is a P99 look alike and operates exactly like the P99. It has that cool looking Desert Eagle like slide and as poor a shot as I am, this pistol makes me look good. Walther makes good stuff for the most part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.