SIG Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 for my DMR with the BDC reticle have any of you tried on what did you like or dislike about it, Thanks

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
From all that I have seen, I REALLY like Vortex. They seem to make the best compromise between quality and price, so you end up getting the best features for the best price. Is it the best glass? Of course not. But it's good enough that there are tons of people out there who can't tell the difference. I have
Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-16x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL
Amazon.com : Vortex SPARC II Red Dot 2 MOA SPC-402 : Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com : Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount : Sports & Outdoors
and I am happy with all of these.

I haven't seen the scope that you've posted, but I have an intense dislike for the BDC reticle. It just seemed like the company picked an arbitrary offset, and then you use a bunch of software (though you can now get it on your phone) to dial in what drop that distance represents. If you're going to use some arbitrary offset, why not use the mil-dot or MOA? Why get used to some proprietary scope dialed in for a specific ammo and for a specific distance, when you can get used to the standard mil-dot or MOA, so then you're not completely useless when you move on to a different scope?

That being said, I fully confess that I am a beginner at long range shooting, and I have not tried the BDC reticle, so I could totally be off-base. On top of that, you should always have a mil-dot reticle paired with a mil-dot turret or a MOA reticle paired with a MOA turret. And in my research, it seems (for some reason) these scopes tend to cost an arm and a leg. The scope I posted is $900, so I can't blame people for not thinking it's worth it. I just felt that this is a sport that I intend to pursue for the rest of my life, and I want to learn the trade and craft thoroughly. All the pro's tend to lean towards Mil-Dot, so that's where I went. Here's the article I based my decisions on (though my scope wasn't in it):
Best Long-Range Scope: Buyers Guide & Features To Look For | PrecisionRifleBlog.com
MIL vs MOA: An Objective Comparison | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I suggest the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP. Mil-Mil reticle and and 1/10th mil adjustments. Super clear glass and superb service. Ordered one on Thursday and it arrived on Saturday. This was USPS Texas to Georgia. I sold my Vortex to get this scope and glad I did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts