SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My current EDC is a P229-1 in 9mm. It has exceeded my expectations. I really love this gun, but after some recent life changes I have found a need for a new carry gun for a few very specific scenarios. Here are the scenarios:

Going to the gym in lightweight clothing
Taking my new dog out after I've settled down

My P229 is heavy! With a solid steel guide rod and a full mag, I believe it's over 3 pounds. When I get up to take my dog out at night, I don't want to have to put on real pants with a thick carry belt. I'd like to just be able to throw some light shorts on, with no belt. Likewise at the gym.

I've been searching now for a while. To start, I am simply not interested in polymer framed pistols. I know that is the most obvious route. So I started looking for subcompact steel frames. The Kahr was interesting, but I'm not sold on DAO. After searching a bit, I started noticing how much of a weight advantage some revolvers had. Though I think semi-auto are superior for defensive purposes in almost every way, I think a good revolver would be great for these short-term scenarios and as a BUG.

Eventually, I found the S&W Model 351 PD. It's made with an aluminum alloy frame and is EXTREMELY light at 10.8 ounces unloaded. All the reviews I find are great. I'm interested in the 22WMR version specifically. I think this would be good enough for self defense, but my main interest is the lack of recoil. The same revolver is sold in .357 Magnum, .38 S&W SPECIAL +P. Though i know this may be a better load in terms of ballistics, I'm concerned about the recoil in such a lightweight revolver.

Here is the revolver I'm interested in.

If you've made it this far, thank you... I am interested in hearing any input and am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I have a S&W Air Lite and it's my edc for work - I don't leave my automatics in the car to "bake" while I'm working. It's great for a short trip to the store. The recoil is bone rattling with .357 loaded. I target practice with .38, I carry with .357. I too feel better carring my semi autos, but sometimes it's just not practical.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It will be cheaper for you to find a better carrying rig rather than adding another firearm platform to your EDC options. I've added this IWB carry setup when I'm not wearing a heavy belt:

https://www.concealedcarry.com/product/brave-response-holster/#reviews

It's not my EDC setup but I do use it occasionally if my wardrobe doesn't include a heavy belt. It is completely self supporting and comfortably carries my full size P226.

Good luck.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
The S&W air weight guns offer a lot in terms of ultra deep cover. I would get a .357 so that you can carry that or load it with .38spl. Some of the newer .38 rounds are really nasty!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
LCP in 380 is a fine, and very small lightweight, weapon.

S&W 442 Air-weight in 38SPL is another excellent and light weapon.

Reactions: LittleTex

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
You're already in 9mm. Take a look at Ruger's LC revolver line and different calibers if you like.
I really like the LC9s...it's a nice little package.

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,057 Posts
If you shot +P in it you are going to know it. I don't think you would notice it in a combat situation but 50 rounds at practice is going to be a little painful.

I use a P290 with a Remora Holster. Perfect for the short outings you are describing.

·
🎖USAF Veteran
663 Posts
My current EDC is a P229-1 in 9mm. It has exceeded my expectations. I really love this gun, but after some recent life changes I have found a need for a new carry gun for a few very specific scenarios. Here are the scenarios:

My P229 is heavy! With a solid steel guide rod and a full mag, I believe it's over 3 pounds. When I get up to take my dog out at night, I don't want to have to put on real pants with a thick carry belt. I'd like to just be able to throw some light shorts on, with no belt. Likewise at the gym.

I've been searching now for a while. To start, I am simply not interested in polymer framed pistols. I know that is the most obvious route. So I started looking for subcompact steel frames. The Kahr was interesting, but I'm not sold on DAO. i know this may be a better load in terms of ballistics, I'm concerned about the recoil in such a lightweight revolver.

If you've made it this far, thank you... I am interested in hearing any input and am open to suggestions.
Some of the suggestions include polymer units, like the Glocks.
Not bad choices. A lot of the really light semis in .380 are polymer and DAO.
If you are up to some compromise check out a Remington RM 380.
It is DAO but it is NOT polymer. Really light and perfect for carrying in shorts. Or just get a BIG dog like a German Shepherd to take out in the middle of the night. You will be safe.

A P938 or P238 will also meet your needs, not plastic, and single action. Perfect for any occasion.
Kimber also has the Micros, both .380 and 9mm. All metal, light weight, single action.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Yeah, I'd stay with a 9mm, and gotta agree that P229 is a great carry weapon - but she's too much heft for light apparel worn during our hot summers, workouts and quick trips outside.

This pic is out of date, but here's my 9mm lite summer carries:

At the top is my trusty SIG P938 in her US GruntGear kydex holster. This is a single belt clip IWB that's a quick & easy on-off, that can be worn appendix, strongside or back - that doesn't mind some sweat. This is a SA 1911-like manual of arms, so practice is required.

The lower right SIG P224 has been replaced with an HK P30SK with their LEM DAO trigger. She's both lighter and a better shooter for me than the 224 she replaced. The middle left HK P2000 has been replaced with P225-A1, a single stack SIG classic that we greatly luv here...

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts

I've been searching now for a while. To start, I am simply not interested in polymer framed pistols. I know that is the most obvious route. So I started
looking for subcompact steel frames. The Kahr was interesting, but I'm not sold on DAO. After searching a bit, I started noticing how much of a weight advantage some revolvers had. Though I think semi-auto are superior for defensive purposes in almost every way, I think a good revolver would be great for these short-term scenarios and as a BUG.

Eventually, I found the S&W Model 351 PD. It's made with an aluminum alloy frame and is EXTREMELY light at 10.8 ounces unloaded. All the reviews I find are great. I'm interested in the 22WMR version specifically. I think this would be good enough for self defense, but my main interest is the lack of recoil. The same revolver is sold in .357 Federal 50 Magnum, .38 S&W SPECIAL +P. Though i know this may be a better load in terms of ballistics, I'm concerned about the recoil in such a lightweight revolver.

Here is the revolver I'm interested in.

I've got this pistol....with the crimson trace grips on it. You never know you're carrying it.....mine carries in a Mika round bottom pocket holster. My brother carries his every day, with the Federal 50 grain hollow point. as far as recoil, there's very little. it is certainly an option.

·
Registered
163 Posts
An air weight j frame 357 is going to be awful to shoot...and I am occasionally stupid enough to shoot a S&W 460 3.5". If you want to go revolver I would suggest maybe a slightly heavier k frame w/ 38 spl or lcr 357 (slightly heavier) with 38 spl. You are probably ok with 22 mag but I would seriously consider a p238 (what I use), a p938, or a kahr p380/pm9. Really there are not a lot of gym carry methods that work well...you can always do the dreaded fanny pack. Something in the lcp or p238 range is easy to throw into a pocket of something like cargo shorts without a belt.

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts
It will be cheaper for you to find a better carrying rig rather than adding another firearm platform to your EDC options. I've added this IWB carry setup when I'm not wearing a heavy belt:

It's not my EDC setup but I do use it occasionally if my wardrobe doesn't include a heavy belt. It is completely self supporting and comfortably carries my full size P226.

Good luck.
Unless you are carrying in the appendix position, I would recommend staying away from this holster. If you carry in the typical 3 to 5 o'clock position for a right hand dominant shooter, you will have the devil to pay to retrieve magazines from this setup. While you are holding the weapon in your right hand, what do you do to grab a magazine from your right side?

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
Tex,

I go to the gym almost daily. I choose to not carry while I'm working out. I could probably find something to make it work, but I get a better workout without it on. I try to carry as much as possible but I also don't want to have my life dictated by always having a gun on. Something to think about, anyway!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts

Good luck.
Unless you are carrying in the appendix position, I would recommend staying away from this holster. If you carry in the typical 3 to 5 o'clock position for a right hand dominant shooter, you will have the devil to pay to retrieve magazines from this setup. While you are holding the weapon in your right hand, what do you do to grab a magazine from your right side?
This is a good point. For me, the dual mag/holster is not a problem at the 3:00 position - grabbing the mag with weak side hand is similar to a cross draw. Anything later than 3:00 is a problem.

While this is not my favorite rig, it is very handy while wearing gym shorts, sweat pants, or other attire that won't support the weight of a full size. If this is your need, I wouldn't let the mag holder discourage you from using it. YMMV.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I know you said no polymer, but another runner on the board had a nice post about his solution. Maybe you can use his holster solution and go with a 238/938.

runners-review-glock-43-belly-band

Reactions: LittleTex

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Little Tex It's funny to me that your not sure about a kahr lighter da type trigger compared to a snub nose you be shooting defensively as a DA and a far heavier DA at that . Change a kahr striker spring to a wolff RP spring and lower the pull weight another 1.5lbs to around low to mid 5lb range .,.

No since a new shooter has little experience got to a gun range and see for they will allow you8 to shoot for a ammo purchase and rental fee and figure out what you like . Maybe a kahr , maybe a shield or gluck43 or a ruger or a 709 slim , mini 9 kimber or 938 and a few more . IF you want a lighter pistol make it a 380 and you can visit mouse guns charts for most models to check out . I have not carried a snub nose in 14 years and see no reason to return to mine as a CC pistol . My small 9mm is a cm9 kahr but not friendly very often for a new shooter .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.