SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, great forum you got here. Not sure how I missed this place when I tried unsuccessfully a dozen times to register at sigforum but I think I'll stay awhile.

Hopefully you can shine some light on this for me as i'm fairly ocd about my guns being in good working order.

Abridged version: Sig sp2340 .40 cal that's worked flawlessly for 13 years is having failure to eject and failure ot lock back issues at the same time with different people with different ammo including with a brand new recoil spring.

Long version:

The gun that made me really love and trust sigs was my first ever gun. A basically new used sig pro sp2340 .40 cal. Other than with one particular brand of ammo it doesn't like, it has never malfunctioned a single time in over decade. Literally not a single time. The thing is obsolete but it's a rock and I'm quite attached to it being my first gun and being so reliable through I can only assume tens of thousands of rounds by now. I would hate to have to sell it but parts are getting scarce for it and this is disconcerting.

3 trips to the range ago my trusty old sig sp2340 .40 cal had 2 failure to ejects (not extract. Casing was flipped 180 and stuck in the chamber as if it spun in place) with the freedom munitions ammo I always shoot (165 grain reman. It's eaten dozens of boxes of the stuff without a hitch.) and a couple failure to lock backs in my hand. Chalked it up to possibly dirty ammo that seemed far dirtier than usual but i put 350 rounds through it in an hour or two that day and it was pretty caked, far worse that i would have expected.

Last trip to the range out of a single 100 round box of winchester white box it had 4 more identical fte's. I KNOW it likes winchester white box which i've shot probably 100 times without issue. Also about 3 or 4 failure to lock backs. It's easy to accidentally do that with the sig sp**** guns but i got over that years ago and ride my thumb out instinctively. 2 of these fte's happened in the hand of guy i was with so it's not unique to me.

I realized that for a decade i've been shooting on factory everything and order up a new recoil spring and sure enough it's an inch longer than the factory original that was in it and clearly depressed and worn out so I assumed that would solve my fte's.

Head back to the range today with 150 rounds of the Freedom Munitions reman 165 grain .40 and my cherry recoil spring and yet again, 4 more fte's and literally 15 failure to lock backs, i tested the FTLB's shooting one handed and still got some so i know i'm not touching the slide stop lever.

I'm frankly baffled as to how these two issues could pop up simultaneously and the recoil spring isn't the explanation for the fte's.

I just ordered some new magazine springs and a slide stop spring to hopefully address the ftlb's but it worries me having my bed gun malfunctioning at all let alone this much. That duty is now up to my WG P228 which has remained flawlessly operating for a decade as well.

Do you guys have ANY idea what might be going on here? My extractor looks fine, a teeny bit of play up and down but almost nothing. Ejector shows some wear but just a little rounded edge like it's had as long as I can remember. I only have two magazines but best I could tell i got malfunctions with both. Everything looks in it as it has since the day i got it pretty much other than bluing rubbed off on barrel/chamber exterior. I don't think you could take better care of your guns than I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Well you have covered what I would have offered up. See how it goes when you replace the mag springs.

Welcome to the forum from South Jersey

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You seem to be checking all the right things (boy, did I originally misread this post)...where did you buy your recoil spring from?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well you have covered what I would have offered up. See how it goes when you replace the mag springs.

Welcome to the forum from South Jersey
Yeah. This is a long shot but i'm stumped. Gonna start replacing every single spring and mileage replaceable part and hope something changes. Just hoping to avoid that if i can. It's also never been fully stripped down and detailed inside and out so I'll try that too.

Thanks for the welcome.

You seem to be checking all the right things but I would ad try something other than Winchester White Box...the quality of white box has been reported to have fallen recently...I had issue with it in 357 SIG causing issue in a SP2340 and S&W M&P 357c...both have been 100% since using Speer Gold Dot and Speer Lawman...

I know Winchester makes good stuff but based on my limited white box experience and that across the errornet, I won't use it...

Bill
Well there was the freedom. From my experience they are the absolute best budget ammo but something has changed in it and it leaves lot of large particle sandy residue sortof like sellier and bellot now which i don't recall before. The white box was my test ammo. God i wish ammo wasn't so expensive. I might see if i can get some lawman for a decent price, both my sigs seem to cycle that smoother than any cheap ammo. That's all i shot for years before the ammo price hike.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You seem to be checking all the right things (boy, did I originally misread this post)...where did you buy your recoil spring from?
Top gun supply. It's not the blue color like they are everywhere else but it says it's factory and it sure fits.

There's nothing i love more than paying 9 dollars shipping on a 7 dollar spring.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
that is odd...TGS is a great resource for our SIGs (and other stuff)...I was thinking you might have something from another model...I hope you get it settled...

Bill

·
Registered
43 Posts
I started a post similar to yours not too long ago about the new replacement springs that are now black in color and are longer than the original blue colored spring.

I called sig to verify, and was told I had the correct spring ,as they no longer manufacture the blue spring.

I ordered my replacement spring from Midway USA, the main reason was that they show the original spring in blue on their website, what I received was the newer black colored spring .

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I started a post similar to yours not too long ago about the new replacement springs that are now black in color and are longer than the original blue colored spring.

I called sig to verify, and was told I had the correct spring ,as they no longer manufacture the blue spring.

I ordered my replacement spring from Midway USA, the main reason was that they show the original spring in blue on their website, what I received was the newer black colored spring .
Thanks for chiming in. That's good to hear. Soon as i get paid I'm going to replace the guide rod, slide stop spring and both the magazine springs and hope that takes care of it.

Short of that the only other thing i could do is replace the extractor which appears to be in excellent condition or start wondering if i'm just limp wristing the hell out of the gun out of nowhere subconsciously (as did the other guy shooting it that one day) when i never was before in 10 years.

Just for the sake of archiving this series of issues i'll report back if these resolve the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts