SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... This may be the WRONG place to post this.. But I'm thinking about a 45 cal 1911.

One of the local gun shops has a used sig 1911 stainless used for about $50 more than I can get a brand new Springfield range officer.... Ok..The Springfield has a SS slide but is black coated... The SS is more. (?)

I like my SS but... Not sure which way to go.

I have no idea how to check "wear" on guns so I'm really flying blind here...

However..I know the sig is all SS whereas...On the Springfield the slide is SS but I don't think the frame is SS.

I'm an engineer by education so I know SS has MUCH better wear characteristics than cs or polymer...

I'm at a cross roads . Love my SIG's... But am not sure which way to go.

I'd have to " buy" a warrantee with the sig which would add another $90 or so.

Oh...What to do!!!

Opinions?

Thank you

Ps...I know this is sig lover Central so all responses will be run though my fox news filter ( lol)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The stainless RO is all stainless the black ones are steel, and quite a nice gun for the price. Only downside is smooth frontstrap on most of them. I have a stainless RO in 9mm, I prefer steel but blued not parkerized. I don't know which sig you are looking at so I can't really comment.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
.A buddy of mine said the same thing.. Smooth on the Smith vs checkered on The sig

I thought the description says SS all throughout.....

The stainless RO is all stainless the black ones are steel, and quite a nice gun for the price. Only downside is smooth frontstrap on most of them. I have a stainless RO in 9mm, I prefer steel but blued not parkerized. I don't know which sig you are looking at so I can't really comment.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I owned a Range Officer full sized and still have a Range Officer Compact that I carry. Both great firearms. I sold the big RO because it would just be another range gun I keep in the safe. I wanted to experiment carrying a full sized 1911 and the big sharp sights on the RO would not promote quick drawing. I'm a new Sig 220 owner so I have no knowledge of Sig's 1911s. I think Springfield is a worthwhile USA made firearm with great customer service. If range shooting is what you want the RO would be an excellent choice for a reasonable amount of money. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
It's a " warantee" from the dealer with a 3-5 week turnaround
I wouldn't even consider spending this money. If there is an issue with your SIG due to manufacturing/design issues, SIG will take care of it. And rather than waiting 3-5 weeks, 2 week turnaround by SIG is the norm.

Chances are very good they will be sending the gun to SIG for service, anyways. Save yourself the money and time, don't purchase that "warranty."

ETA: I do own a SA RO full size in 45 ACP and a few SIG 1911's. As rmak said, the sights are a bit sharp and pokey for carry on the Range Officer. I replaced the rear sight with a Harrison Custom rear sight which is a lot more smooth. Between the choices you have mentioned, really a toss up to me. Guess it boils down to your wants and expectations. Many 1911 purists will not touch a SIG 1911 due to the external extractor and being of Series 80 design. The SA RO is a Series 70 with internal extractor, more to the liking of the purists. All of my 1911's have been very reliable, no real issues to speak of (knock on wood!).

·
Registered
647 Posts
The hands down best 1911 I've ever shot was the Springfield 1911 Marine Corps Operator. I don't imagine the RO is far behind. Not to mention Springfield gives away a lot of gear with their guns. I love Sigs, but nobody makes a sub-$1000 1911 better than Springfield.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have carried a SIg as a LEO for many years and now retired have A Sig P220, 226 and recently acquired a used, but like new Sig Nightmare 1911. I have had other 1911's in the past but have all been custom high end 1911's. Went awhile without a 1911 until the recently acquired Sig. Never thought I would buy the Sig 1911 being a purist so to speak, but I must admit I am quit pleased with Sig's rendition of the 1911. This pistol is very will but together, is accurate and the quality is evident. I have put maybe 300 rounds thus far thru the pistol without the first malfunction of any kind. As for the external extractor, it is my opinion that this is actually an improvement in a number of ways. Easy to replace if ever needed with no tuning for extraction required. From my experience with Sig over the years, if there is every a problem with one of their pistols, they are easy to deal with and the problem will be corrected expediently. I also hear the same as pertaining to Springfield Armory as well. I would never even consider paying for a warranty with a SIg.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I sold a SA Range Officer because of the sights for the problems others mentioned as well (it had been a screaming deal, so I got all my $$ back), and moved to the SA mil spec.

A Sig 1911 is never a bad gun (I've had some), but the extra-cost "dealer warranty" does not sit well with me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the Springfield Loaded in stainless and love it. It is my first 1911 .45, but I know I made a great choice.

Does this help?

·
Registered
481 Posts
the lack of front strap checkering along rules out SA RO for me even if 50% off. Puke.

that said you'll get better responses IMHO if you post the EXACT model SA and Sig.

There are dozens and dozens of Sig 1911s available (all are stainless upper and lower except the C3 alloy frame) at that price on gunbroker. So many good choices.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to (hopefully) try both tomorrow.... At least close models.... The local shop/range says they have both ( on their web site) for rent...

We'll see what I think... Only shot a 45 once before.. Literally one round... So this is gonna be fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sig offers a lifetime warranty to the original buyer and for $90 I think I'd roll the dice...

I carry a Sig Ultra in 45 and just picked up a RO LW compact in 9mm. Its a great gun and I got a terrific deal with the mags etc hopefully showing up in a week or 2. The Sig is slightly better finished and has night sights vs fiber optic on the RO.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok... The range only had the springfield in 9 mm so I just shot the sig 1911...Oh my! Very nice.. a bit more "bang " than the 9 mm for sure... Did not shoot too well but that's ok..I sure had fun!

Spent the rest of the day putting together and anchoring this ( I had some issues as the instructions were a bit wonky ... But it's in!) the

Now to save $$$ for the sig 1911... It seems to be in pretty good shape but only had one mag... Oh well... That's easy to fix!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Decided on this

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-stx-full-size.html

Got the itch for a 1911.

Shot a sig 1911 a week or so ago and it was fun.... Looked around and saw a few nice looking used stainless models ( one full sized ..No rail. And the other a 1911 C3 with awesome rosewood grips ... It looked pretty much brand new!)

The prices were great.. About $800 for the full sized and about $720 for the C3.

Was all set to get the C3 when I saw the STX in the cabinet at Cabela's..... Oh man... She is beautiful!

It also felt so nice in my hand!

It was on sale... About $100 less than retail.

I've seen some on line for a bit less but they would not budge...I still got what I feel is a decent price.

Get to pick it up Tuesday..I cannot wait!

Only problem is Cook county has a high sales tax rate.. And a $25 per gun " fee"....

I also was buying about 500 rounds of 45 ammo when the clerk told me there was a 5 cent per round tax... Oh my!!!!

I said no thank you and left the ammo there...

I bought my ammo cheaper.. Less sales tax and without the surcharge at a store closer to my house...

Cannot wait!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts