SIG Talk banner

used 239 question

1451 16
I have an opportunity to buy a 239 from a guy I work with its a .40 cal
he said he bought it used.
It looks to be in good shape , until I grab the top of the slide and it has a bit of wobble and it rattles when I shake it, now I own several Sigs, Kimbers Glocks and S&W , and the last time I saw this much rattle was from a home brew 1911 about 30 years ago, the owner says it shoots good, but is this something I should steer clear of or is it normal ?
none of my guns do this , not sure why this one does.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,044 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a 239 from a guy I work with its a .40 cal
he said he bought it used.
It looks to be in good shape , until I grab the top of the slide and it has a bit of wobble and it rattles when I shake it, now I own several Sigs, Kimbers Glocks and S&W , and the last time I saw this much rattle was from a home brew 1911 about 30 years ago, the owner says it shoots good, but is this something I should steer clear of or is it normal ?
none of my guns do this , not sure why this one does.
I've seen many with this, usually older ones. I've seen plenty of other Sigs with that looseness, they usually seem to have been shot a lot. I'm sure it's fine unless there is excess wear and gouging on the rails. Me personally, I wouldn't buy it unless I could get it pretty cheap, 4-450 range or less.

· Registered
1,196 Posts
I would make me uneasy, but I have more confidence in Thnkfrst's opinion above than I do in my own.

From what I understand, accuracy comes more from barrel to frame fit than it does frame to slide.

Good luck in whatever you decide! Let us know how you make out.

· 🎖USMC Veteran Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Remove the slide and look closely at the frame. If the finish (anodizing) is worn off of the friction areas (rails) and they appear shiny then it was probably fired dry quite extensively.

In that case I would steer clear, the frame will wear much faster then the slide and that sounds like what has happened in your case.

Sigs like to be shot 'wet'. I have a P229 with close to 20,000 rounds through it and the slide is tight. The frame shows no wear and the barrel has minimal smileys.

I lube all my weapons with Lubriplate after cleaning regularly whether they have been shot or not.

· Premium Member
18,477 Posts
It takes a lot of wear to go through the anodize. The anodize SIG uses on most of their frames has a black pigment added to it. Just because the black is gone doesn't mean you have worn through the anodize and are to bare alloy. As long as the alloy is still silver, it is in good shape. Once the black pigment is gone and you start wearing the silver into a golden/bronze tone, then you need to be concerned. To achieve this level of wear requires phenomenal levels of wear and/or neglect.

· Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2008 German frame p239 9mm. It has the worst slide to frame play of any gun I've ever owned. If I shake it, it rattles ridiculous loud.

However when I shoot it, I'm more accurate with it then any sig I own including my legion, seriously that well! If it looks good, I wouldn't worry about the rattle or loose fit at all.

· Registered
8,998 Posts
S281 makes the right point.
If there isn't excessive Barrel Wear, and you have decent wear indications in other areas (As described earlier) then buy it, Clean it, Lube it, and shoot it.
The 239 is a Work Horse Piece, like the 229 and the 226. These are pistols that can shake, rattle, and make noise. But they also will Roll.

The accuracy thing is from how much slop is there on the Barrel to slide fit and on the breech lockup when the weapon is under Battery (Locked in place to shoot). Side to side fit on slide and frame are really irrelevant at that point. What you want to worry about is Barrel to Slide fit at the Muzzle and at the Breech where the Rear sights are. anything rattle or movement 5 MS after firing is irrelevant as the bullet has already left the muzzle.

· Registered
99 Posts
I used to call mine my Rattlin' Jenny. It was a great shooter that I put 100's and 100's of rounds through and was dead nuts. I sold it and tried to buy it back a couple of years later, but the guy wasn't having it. I'd buy it back today!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.