SIG Talk banner

US SOCOM Seeks New .300 Blackout M4A1 Personal Defense Weapon Conversion Kit

1561 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  7.62Kolectr
US SOCOM Seeks New .300 Blackout M4A1 Personal Defense Weapon Conversion Kit - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

This is intriguing in that these guys tend to lead the way in new technology which always trickles down to the civilian market, but it got me to thinking about what is the best personal defense weapon. I've been looking into getting a .300blk simply b/c of the fact that it is interchangeable with 5.56 magazines and easily convertible, but it also has excellent ballistics wrt suppressed SBR performance, which translates to home defense, or a great truck gun, for those just in case moments.

Too often I see pics in forums or gun groups where people have tricked their guns out with all sorts of tacticool gear like new quad-rails, foregrips, bi-pods, lights, lasers, fancy optics, etc. Before you know it a gun that weighed 5-7 lbs now weighs in the neighborhood of 10-12 lbs, and wielding it is tantamount to wielding a telephone pole. But it looks cool, bro! :lol:

What is your personal defense weapon of choice, and how to you run it? Right now I have a S&W M&P Sport with nothing on it except a QD receptacle for a single point sling, and I have a Winchester M94 lever action .30-30, but I am looking at purchasing the M&P15 .300 Whisper in black. I read an article discussing the whisper and the AAC, and there is talk that the AAC will be converted to the whisper round b/c it has more options under CIP standard cartridge ( https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/11/5/shades-of-gray-300-whisper-300-aac-blackout/ ). I'm told that for the money this is one of the best rifles on the market, so it is my top consideration at the moment.

I like what I've read about the .300 round b/c of its performance, particularly in short barrels, and I like the .30 caliber round in the 5.56 casing concept. It seems to have an excellent reputation. My LGS dealer calls it a Civic on a full tank of gas...LOL!!! It's that reliable. So I'm looking at getting one of these guns and fixing it with a good optic, pop up sights and a low profile forgrip on a quadrail with an INFORCE weapons light. That's it. I would love to hear what you run and how you have your gun configured for defense.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7,973 Posts
Yeah, speaking of toys, couple month back, while at our indoor rifle range 3 active duty guys jumped on the bench next door. I didn't notice what they were up to until their rifle started blowing my targets off the bench. That's never happened before!!

Said they were running a quick test on a new .458 SOCOM - and that thing was a BEAST!!

Looked like a standard AR lower, the barrel was the size of a 20 gauge shotgun, and it's recoil was 12 gauge-like - even with a muzzle brake. It fed from std 30rd Pmags, but had only 10rds in each of the 3 mags these 3 gentlemen ran.

They didn't hang around long, but were happy with their new 'toy'!!

Cheers

· Registered
52 Posts
I have a Rock River 458 Socom and its a blast. They have a forum if you want to find out more about them. Its a great round, easy to reload and puts huge holes in things. Mine kicks more like a 10 gauge shotgun with slugs but its fun.

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Rock River 458 Socom and its a blast. They have a forum if you want to find out more about them. Its a great round, easy to reload and puts huge holes in things. Mine kicks more like a 10 gauge shotgun with slugs but its fun.
Dear GOD, are you SERIOUS!! :lol::lol::lol:

· Registered
52 Posts
Dead serious. I shoot a ton of sporting clays 200-300 rounds every other week or so and it doesn't bother me at all. I sighted in my 458 with factory SBR 300gr JHP and shot it 16 times and had a blood bruise that afternoon. Muzzle velocity is 1800 ft/sec. My lower has a Magpul UBR stock and it does not shoot soft. Still super fun, my reloads don't seem to kick as bad.

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude I am literally sitting here LMAO...that is a HUGE bullet! I'm not man enough for that, and I especially don't want to launch one of those slugs in my house...LOL!!! You're a better man than me!

· Registered
23,709 Posts
Dead serious. I shoot a ton of sporting clays 200-300 rounds every other week or so and it doesn't bother me at all. I sighted in my 458 with factory SBR 300gr JHP and shot it 16 times and had a blood bruise that afternoon. Muzzle velocity is 1800 ft/sec. My lower has a Magpul UBR stock and it does not shoot soft. Still super fun, my reloads don't seem to kick as bad.
OOOOOOUUUUCHHH!!!!

Attachments

· Registered
23,709 Posts
Since my SIG M400 SRP did not even have sights (SRP = Sight Ready Platform), I obviously bought BUIS and a red dot. I upgraded the hand guard to a Magpul version and also replaced the cheap-a** SIG stock with a good one from Magpul. Installed ambi safety and a stronger, ambi charging handle. And I added a long-range light. Mine is still a fairly light-weight configuration; just improved for my comfort and use. I need to post pics of it with changes. I just don't have much time these days.

· Registered
7,973 Posts
Yeah, this 'Hog killer' doesn't mind shooting thru bushes, fences or small trees either. Here's a 500g cartridge - If you'd really like to make an impression!!

Cheers

Attachments

· Registered
221 Posts
300 blackout

The 300 blackout is a great round! I think too many people try to compare it to 556 when really it's more of an suppressed MP5 / PDW replacement. I have a Ruger SR556 Takedown with both 556 and 300 barrels. I use the 300 black barrel with an Acog 3.5x35

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_item.php?whats_newID=news_135

The Acog has both sub and super aiming points. Think of the 300 blackout as a suppressed MP5 that (with the change of the mag) can switch to supers and get a little more punch.

I have Pmags with different floor plates to distinguish between subs and supers.

Here is a link to a video with me shooting 4 subsonic rounds then 4 supersonic rounds. (there is another shooter to my right who shoots in between the 4 and 4)

Video may take a bit to load

Misc - vanstone

Attachments

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 300 blackout is a great round! I think too many people try to compare it to 556 when really it's more of an suppressed MP5 / PDW replacement. I have a Ruger SR556 Takedown with both 556 and 300 barrels. I use the 300 black barrel with an Acog 3.5x35

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_item.php?whats_newID=news_135

The Acog has both sub and super aiming points. Think of the 300 blackout as a suppressed MP5 that (with the change of the mag) can switch to supers and get a little more punch.

I have Pmags with different floor plates to distinguish between subs and supers.

Here is a link to a video with me shooting 4 subsonic rounds then 4 supersonic rounds. (there is another shooter to my right who shoots in between the 4 and 4)

Video may take a bit to load

Misc - vanstone
Very nice! Thanks for the input and pics!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.