SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I personally think the LMG is a great idea. The rifle, as a general issue rifle, I am not so sure about. A rifle like that certainly has its place, but I am just unsure about giving one to everyone

Soli Deo Gloria

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I personally think the LMG is a great idea. The rifle, as a general issue rifle, I am not so sure about. A rifle like that certainly has its place, but I am just unsure about giving one to everyone

Soli Deo Gloria
From what I've read, it's not going to everyone. Don't recall specifically what they said, but it sounded like only specific units or MOSs would be fielding it. My thoughts are that it'll go to Combat Arms MOSs first and then maybe see service-wide adoption/issue.

All those logistics folks are going to hate this new round fouling up their requests.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
This round is more accurate over longer ranges and is more lethal. I saw one ill informed article staying this round is a step backwards. What?? US military will be able to engage enemy combatants at longer ranges and those they hit are more likely to be dead. And at least for awhile all the bad guys armed with 5.56 platforms will now be outgunned.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
The gun doesn’t concern me as much as a two piece steel brass hybrid case for the ammo? That’s just weird and at 80k pressure seems like a failure waiting to happen? Is it reloadable?
Video mentions the lake city plant and says it will be the one making it.
So my guess is it will be so busy producing that caliber that others will move to the back burner.
Caliber does seem like it has some thump though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The gun doesn’t concern me as much as a two piece steel brass hybrid case for the ammo? That’s just weird and at 80k pressure seems like a failure waiting to happen? Is it reloadable?
So my guess is it will be so busy producing that caliber that others will move to the back burner.
Don’t be concerned. Sig and Federal have been testing this round out. They know what they are doing.

·
Banned
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not stupid. We were the ones that standardized 308 and 556.
The idea was in the 50's and 60's when NATO was before it became a partner in the corruption with the UN, EU,CIA etc as they are now they wanted to standardize things

One was the ammo
Second was to find a smaller cartridge to do the job.
Note: The NAZI's were the first to figure out that infantry in combat are not shooting 1000m or beyond and a SUB using pistol round was not strong enough for what they wanted in combat. They found a solution with between both rifle and sub.
In 1944 came up with the MP44 Sturmgewehr 7.92x33mm cartridge. It was cheap to make (stamped) and ammo smaller then their Mauser K98 8mm used.
That is how the Kalashnikov got his idea for the Russian AK47

They came up with the idea for infantry of smaller round than standard rifle to carry more ammo and able to kill enemy out to 300-500m and easy for ground pounders to use.
During the 60's Armalite came up with the 5.56mm and at that time a very effective round

Fast forward, many things have changed and many are using body amour and the ole 5.56 is not up to the job.
The idea of the 6.8mm is to fit in between the 7.62 and the good ole 5.56 for those not on front lines.

Either way, the US has made the decision even if they go alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the funny part about 556 not being up for the job, is practically no round is up for the job, this 6.8 does not even penetrate the best armors out, let alone advances quickly to come, of which some we already have .. so thats a moot point, more effective than 556? perhaps.. but it still ain't passing through the best already made armor technology out there

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
the funny part about 556 not being up for the job, is practically no round is up for the job, this 6.8 does not even penetrate the best armors let alone advances quickly to come, we already have some.. so thats a moot point, more effective than 556? perhaps.. but it still ain't passing through the best already made armor technology out there
The army says you are wrong. This new 6.8 fires with pressure up to 80 KSI and will penetrate modern body armor at ranges up to 600 yds.

Not you father's 6.8.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The army says you are wrong. This new 6.8 fires with pressure up to 80 KSI and will penetrate modern body armor at ranges up to 600 yds.

Not you father's 6.8.
[/QUOTE]

propaganda

prove it, there are no modern rifle projectiles that can penetrate the type of armors that are available, its a talking point. Level 3 ar500? sure, there is way higher end stuff available not to mention materials yet to hit the market readily! nano level materials woven and hardened way stronger than anything being talked about.

what weight and velocity's are we talking about? Titanium tipped 308 144-150 grains going 3000 fps, 110-120 grains going 3300 fps, near 3000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle, what are these 6.8 bullets weight and velocity particularly

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
the rest of the case can expand like it always does in the chamber, but i am guessing a brass base cannot handle the pressure and there would be ejection issues if there is deformation in that area.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The military isn't concerned about reloading. The lower pressure 277 Fury is reloadable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m shocked to see cynical posts about a new weapons system by people who haven’t fired a round out of the thing yet. ;)

Appears that the new sight in the core element, and all things considered, the expectation will be that the operator will actually hit the target at a far, far higher rate than current platforms. The response to a couple of incoming projectiles being multiple mag dumps in the general direction of the enemy position may be a thing of the past.

With todays technology, I’d be surprised based on testing an manufacturing, if the cartridge doesn’t perform as designed. With training on the new scope, effective hits on target at range will be more likely. If the Youtube geniuses think that is “stupid”, then so be it, what do they care, as long as they get lots of views from the controversy du jour. either way, they won’t be using the rifle in anger.

It’s long past time to field a better tool that out ranges and out performs the threat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m shocked to see cynical posts about a new weapons system by people who haven’t fired a round out of the thing yet. ;)

Appears that the new sight in the core element, and all things considered, the expectation will be that the operator will actually hit the target at a far, far higher rate than current platforms. The response to a couple of incoming projectiles being multiple mag dumps in the general direction of the enemy position may be a thing of the past.

With todays technology, I’d be surprised based on testing an manufacturing, if the cartridge doesn’t perform as designed. With training on the new scope, effective hits on target at range will be more likely. If the Youtube geniuses think that is “stupid”, then so be it, what do they care, as long as they get lots of views from the controversy du jour. either way, they won’t be using the rifle in anger.

It’s long past time to field a better tool that out ranges and out performs the threat.
Agree with you 100%. It is interesting to hear so many people bash a cartridge and weapons platform that they have never shot, let alone been able to field test and evaluate. The Army has had what, 3 years now, to run these weapons through their paces, and in the end, the decision to give Sig the contract. Great decesion and I cant wait for their release to the pulic. I will for sure be buying one the day of release to go along with my M17, that others bashed so easily as well.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts