SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of sounding paranoid, I’ve been learning the unofficial rules about not talking about your CCW/firearm. Please help me with my education on this. It seems generally that

1. Don’t post pictures on social media about your CCW or pics of your firearms.
2. Don’t talk about your CCW/ firearms with acquaintances. Friends, maybe.
3. If somebody you don’t know asks about the bulge on your side, it’s a colostomy bag.
4. Exception: If a cop asks, tell the truth.
5. Don‘t wear your pistol to the doctor. He/she doesn’t need to know.
6. if you are in therapy, don’t mention your firearm to the mental health professional.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Be responsible and follow the law. Otherwise, it’s a free country - do as you please within the boundaries of legality, common sense, and good taste.

·
Premium Member
US Army Veteran
1,111 Posts
I totally agree about not talking about gun stuff at all with acquaintances and remember "friends" can turn. Maybe, maybe not - they have to be life long friends and still not if I don't think they will have an interest. It's not bad to be little paranoid, with red flag laws and alike, we all need to stay on our toes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My friends, relatives, and neighbors all know I carry these from the time I get dressed until they go on the nightstand when I go to bed. When I go to the doctor, I am not armed, but my wife in the waiting room is armed. The therapists I know need more help than I do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I totally agree about not talking about gun stuff at all with acquaintances and remember "friends" can turn. Maybe, maybe not - they have to be life long friends and still not if I don't think they will have an interest. It's not bad to be little paranoid, with red flag laws and alike, we all need to stay on our toes.
I agree 100%. Keep the circle small and trustworthy/reliable when it comes to anything related to your personal firearms, and even smaller when it comes to carrying.

You never know who will overreact to the issue of guns. (Unfamiliarity and/or sloppy thinking often breeds fear.) They're also a target of theft.

If you want to talk about your builds or acquisitions, find a forum and be thoughtful about who you share your name & contact info with 😎

·
Registered
267 Posts
At the risk of sounding paranoid, I’ve been learning the unofficial rules about not talking about your CCW/firearm. Please help me with my education on this. It seems generally that

1. Don’t post pictures on social media about your CCW or pics of your firearms.
3. If somebody you don’t know asks about the bulge on your side, it’s a colostomy bag.
4. Exception: If a cop asks, tell the truth.
5. Don‘t wear your pistol to the doctor. He/she doesn’t need to know.
6. if you are in therapy, don’t mention your firearm to the mental health professional.

Any other suggestions?
Become a master at keeping it concealed and totally unnoticeable. Other than that it sounds like you've got it covered.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes, especially keep in mind the new regime which will do anything and everything to disarm all citizens. that means not mentioning guns except with people who absolutely need to know you have them - and includes family.

Unless you are shooting buddies with your doctor, he/she does not need to know. Period.

Even close family can turn on you and report you as dangerous and even if your state does not have red flag laws, the police can show up unannounced and confiscate your guns - and your wife's if she has any.

Before it got this bad, hubby and I were a lot more free with sharing information that we have guns. Now I truly wish we had not been. You really never do know who will report you as being dangerous and a threat. Really!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Guns have been flagged as a health risk by the medical community. A suicide risk to yourself and homicide risk to others. When you go to your primary doctor there is usually a questionnaire that includes asking about guns. Some doctors take it seriously to the point of reporting to the police if you own a weapon AND make any comment that they find questionable. They consider themselves “mandatory reporters” for the safety of the community.
So, just as you don’t joke about bombs at the airport, I’d be careful disclosing or making stupid comments to you doctors (or really anyone else for that matter)

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
NO ONE, needs to know what I carry. No gun advertisement on the vehicle. What I do is MY BUSINESS NOT YOURS. Now, I’ve spoken on this forum many times about my firearms and have posted pics of certain ones and I trust the majority here are 2A friendly so we can all express our opinions and views. I would also like to think that this forum is void of the vermin that want to take our 2A rights from us. Recently I’ve grown shy of posting things I feel could come back to me if in fact this site is being monitored. The recent troubles of AR15.com come to mind. Finally, the older I get the less trust I have in people in general and strangers for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My What? :censored:

Reactions: Mike55

·
Registered
259 Posts
If your workplace doesn't have a prohibition posted or in the 'rulebook' - don't ask. You'll ruin it for everyone.

If discovered - an insulin pump is an alternative to colostomy bag. But honestly I've fessed up before when being discovered via a hug. You may have an opportunity to educate someone.

If federal red flag/no-due process reporting laws become a thing.... all these things become more important.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What are gun owners supposed to do live in hiding?

IMO, The only way to save the 2A is by portraying gun ownership in a safe, fun & useful way.

The media only reports criminals using guns so that is what the layman associates gun ownership with, we need to destroy that image.

I say post pics of your wife & you having a fun day at the range the same way people post fishing, golfing, travel pics, all that stuff.

I make it fun for her so she tells the girls at work how much fun she had. Next thing you know 3 new shooters from her work are coming with us looking to buy pistols for self-defense. And here is me being the sneaky salesman letting them shoot some options without the pressure of a gun store salesperson pushing the XD-40 compacts because they have 30 in stock.

Yes, be a salesman, sell the Second Amendment👍🇺🇸

1 - 20 of 60 Posts