SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6,606 Posts
Tula is for Hi-Points. I wouldn't let a round near any of my guns. The universal rule of "you get what you pay for" is just as true with ammo.
The only thing is that while this used to be true it's not always true any more.

There are a ton of things where you don't get what you paid for but think you do.

I know a few people who have shot Tula and don't have anything bad to say about it.

I can't speak for it personally as the only factory ammo I buy is .22LR/.22WMR

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not trying to support Putin;) Hell on todays market one can't be sure where the ammo is coming from. Wolf is made by Tul, but I always found it to be an okay ammo.

Just looking for for cheaper practice ammo. For HD/CC I get good stuff, I need to it to go bang when it needs to count.

Thanks for the input.

· Registered
715 Posts
I've used Tulammo before. If your gun can't handle it, get a different one. They work well in my P320. I even buy 7.62 and 5.45 for my AK's.

I had a Glock once, Tulammo wouldn't feed because the case would hang up on the polymer. But fed fine in a rented H&K USP polymer mag.

Shoot it, it's a good plinker round. Can get dirty like Privi Partizan, and other slavic ammo.

· Registered
715 Posts
Steel case is harder than brass and aluminum (excessive parts wear) so many folks pass on Tulammo.
Excessive wear by steel cased ammo? No. This is a myth. All ammunition cause wear on parts. Steel cases is soft enough, and often times is one rockwell harder than brass. This does not cause excessive wear faster than Brass.

Though bi metal bullets, can cause wear if you're out bump firing like a wannabe Rambo, firing thousands of rounds in one setting. Yeah, you can chew up your barrel faster.

Steel cased ammo will not damage your gun, nor wear out parts. My AK's are fed exclusively steel cased ammo, because that's all I can get in my 5.45x39's and no way I'm forking over the money for Hornady 5.45 to satisfy the magnet Nazis at the indoor ranges.

The only thing I've replaced on my AK's was a recoil spring. The extractor and ejector has plenty of life left in them.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
If my weapons won't eat what I feed it ...I have no use for it. I shoot Tula and Wolf by the thousands in my ARs with no issues. I shoot it in my SIGs when I find it on sale. I have had no issues. I have never believed the Internet Urban Legends and associated ****. When I am building something I don't buy softer nails because I am worried about hurting my hammer. My guns are tools to be used ...not petted.

· Registered
715 Posts
Have 1000's of rounds down range in 2 AK-47s and an AR in 7.6x39.

The AR doesn't like the hollowpoint version of this round, but other than that
no issues whatsovever.

I would say that if the gun feeds and runs with it, you are good to go.

· Registered
80 Posts
If you're looking for steel cased 9mm, take a peek at Winchester USA Forged ammo. Usually able to be found at the local Wally world and doesn't have a bimetal projectile. Used in my TEC9 and actually got it to cycle more reliably than some of the cheaper brass stuff. Not the cleanest, but a lot of indoor ranges will hold a magnet to the projectile and make sure it doesnt stick. Plus, it's made here in the states instead of in Mother Russia ;)

As mentioned, and my personal beliefs as well, the "steel cased wears your gun faster" thing appears to be more of a way to get people to spend more on brass ammo. While it is a harder metal, steel cased is usually coated with a lacquer to prevent as much metal-on-metal rubbing and, realistically, you will be replacing your extractor with any amount of extensive shooting.

· Banned
5,101 Posts
I've never had any problems with it. It is dirty, but it has always run good for me.

Reactions: LittleTex

· Registered
255 Posts
Tulammo is good. ive shot a few hundred rounds through my p229. but, it is VERY DIRTY. and i mean, extremely dirty. like ten times dirtier than some more expensive ammo. I dont clean my gun after every range visit, but i would strongly recommend a good cleaning any time tul is used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.