SIG Talk banner

Tubb's flat wire buffer spring in SIG516

5368 28
I had a previous thread going about this in both the M400 and the 516 (I have the M400 all set), but it seems the previous thread lost traction. Has anyone used the Tubb's flat buffer spring in their 516 Gen2 patrol rifle without any issues? If so does it just drop in with the existing buffer? Also is there any gas setting changes required?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
🎖USN Retired
8,993 Posts
SIg 516 uses H2 buffer, as far as I know. I dont think the gas settings will need a change, due to the wire being same, except flat and made of a material that lasts longer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just want to get rid of the "twang" and smooth out my cycling in my 516 without having to do anything additional other than put the flat wire buffer in. If I have to change the buffer and adjust the gas settings to shoot 55 or 62 grain ammo unsurpressed, I will not go with the flat wire spring and return it to my LGS.

·
🎖USN Retired
8,993 Posts
I just want to get rid of the "twang" and smooth out my cycling in my 516 without having to do anything additional other than put the flat wire buffer in. If I have to change the buffer and adjust the gas settings to shoot 55 or 62 grain ammo unsurpressed, I will not go with the flat wire spring and return it to my LGS.
Change the wire, that is all you need to do.
Some also put a little grease on spring. YMMV

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve! My LSG gunsmith told me to grease up the spring also with some lithium based grease and it should be good! I guess if I have cycling issues (FTE, FTF, Bolt Fails to lock open after last round fired, etc.),I'll just put the stock buffer spring back in!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
SIg 516 uses H2 buffer, as far as I know. I dont think the gas settings will need a change, due to the wire being same, except flat and made of a material that lasts longer.
The Gen2 used an H buffer marked with an "H" in the center of the face. Additionally, I had an H2 to compare against and it was definitely heavier than the Sig buffer. I swapped for the H2 and no issues.

I cannot confirm the Gen1 (lightening cuts on gas block) or Gen2.5 (maze logo, no bayonet lug) variants.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@anbuyoshi - are you saying that you have a Sig516 Gen 2 and had the H marked on the buffert (which is what mine is marked), and you changed the buffer with the Tubb flat wire buffer spring to the H2 buffer and it chcled with no issues? If so, did you order the H2 Buffer for om SIG? Thanks! I appreciate ALL help!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
@anbuyoshi - are you saying that you have a Sig516 Gen 2 and had the H marked on the buffert (which is what mine is marked), and you changed the buffer with the Tubb flat wire buffer spring to the H2 buffer and it chcled with no issues? If so, did you order the H2 Buffer for om SIG? Thanks! I appreciate ALL help!!!

I have not tried the flat wire and frankly don't see a need to, but I don't foresee any issues with it. The AR "sprong" is a non-issue for me. I used an H2 buffer to make the recoil a bit more linear. Every other piston AR company utilizes the H2, but Sig didn't for some reason. It's softer shooting now. No reliability issues.

You can order the H2 from any vendor. It's a standard weight and not proprietary to Sig. Get the cheapest (paid) one you can find. I think I paid $25 for mine from Surplus Ammo. Avoid Spikes tungsten powder stuff. That product doesn't utilize the inertia of weights smacking into each other sledgehammer style.

If you really want to, try the JP enterprises silent capture system although I think it's overkill for your needs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@anbuyoshi - Thanks for the info! I'm just going to drop it in and use the H marked buffer that's already in my 516. If the "sproing" goes away and it recoils a little smoother that works for me. I just don't want to have to change the gas setting to the suppressed setting when shooting becaus I preferr to always leave my 516 in the normal gas setting. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
@anbuyoshi, I run the Spikes T2 buffer with no issues in my mid-gen2 516.
You shouldn't have any function issues.

It's a product introduced looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I've read different arguments about how it may or may not cause additional bolt bounce, but I don't care enough about it to try. Standard H2 is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You shouldn't have any function issues.

It's a product introduced looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I've read different arguments about how it may or may not cause additional bolt bounce, but I don't care enough about it to try. Standard H2 is perfectly fine.
That's all it is, arguments based on what someone thinks and not any real experience with a problem. I run T2 and T3 buffers from Spikes, thousands of rounds and no issues. They are a solid product I would stake my life on.

Here is an excellent video showing the advantages of the flat wire spring;

Reactions: M400Mk25

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm aware of the pros to flatwires. The pros just aren't sufficient enough for me to go out and purchase all new springs for all of my AR style rifles. The H2 buffer was, less the rifle length system on my SPR style AR.

When my buffer springs wear out (probably not for a long, long time) then I'll likely change them to the flatwire or even Geiselle's braided spring.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'm aware of the pros to flatwires. The pros just aren't sufficient enough for me to go out and purchase all new springs for all of my AR style rifles. The H2 buffer was, less the rifle length system on my SPR style AR.

When my buffer springs wear out (probably not for a long, long time) then I'll likely change them to the flatwire or even Geiselle's braided spring.
Only problem with the Geissele is the buffer is proprietary, standard buffers will not fit in the spring.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well everyone, I put the flat wire spring in my 516 with some lithium grease around the coils, and much to my dismay, after charging my 516 a few times it appeared that the twang was gone, but after a few more charges and locking the bolt rearward and then releasing it, the annoying "twang" was back! Dang it!!! Did I not grease it enough, or is it just how the 516 buffer system is built? I guess if it cycles better and smooths it out, I can live with the twang. I installed the same Tubb flat wire spring in my M400 and no twang just the sound of the bolt slamming home.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Only problem with the Geissele is the buffer is proprietary, standard buffers will not fit in the spring.
Correct, but they give you one with it in H1 weight. You'd have to buy another tungsten weight from their sight to make it an H2.

Naturally, you'd have to consider the total cost of the item vs what's out there. Geiselle's system does make sense.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have thought about the MCX, but I am not sold on that rifle at all! Way too many cycling and malfunction issues with the MCX for my liking.

I am so much more of a 516 fan and will just deal with the "sproing" since I am a weekend shooter and not in a Combat zone all day. I'll live with the "sproing" sound! More importantly, I am hoping the cycling will be smoother! Unfortunately, It'll be about a month or more for me to be able to shoot my 516 to give a report on cycling!!!

·
🎖USN Retired
8,993 Posts
I have thought about the MCX, but I am not sold on that rifle at all! Way too many cycling and malfunction issues with the MCX for my liking.

I am so much more of a 516 fan and will just deal with the "sproing" since I am a weekend shooter and not in a Combat zone all day. I'll live with the "sproing" sound! More importantly, I am hoping the cycling will be smoother! Unfortunately, It'll be about a month or more for me to be able to shoot my 516 to give a report on cycling!!!
Ammo plays a big part in cycling too. I use 62 gr ammo, same manufacturer every time. This makes me consistent, as well as making rifle have no abrupt changes.. Try a low grade bullet and a high quality round, and see the difference in cycling.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.