SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newer member here. I'm trying to understand the differences in the Sig pistols and gain some general information about how Sig Sauer generally operates. I have been browsing the forums for a few days and I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for. I expect the standard responses like "just use the search" but if there are some here with expert level knowledge I think this type of information would be helpful for me and perhaps other newer members who are exploring Sig pistol options:

It looks like Sig stopped manufacturing .40 caliber pistols this year, that's a real bummer as it is my primary carry and HD caliber.

I think I'm interested in the 226 and 229 pistols, metal frames and hammer fired.

What is Sig's history on discontinuing pistols and how hard is it to source parts to keep them running?

Are parts interchangeable between different models in the lineup or within the same model but different calibers?

I run a Streamlight TLR-1 HL on my HD guns today. I've read that the Sig accessory rail will not accommodate the TLR-1, what pistols in the lineup have a 1913 rail and do those pistols come in .40 S&W?

How about magazine compatibility? Could I run 226 magazines in a 229 for more capacity?

What you you grade Sig customer service on a 10-point scale where 1 is horrible and 10 is outstanding?

Does Sig customer service have any rebuild, refurbish, and refinish services for customers to take advantage of?

That is all I can think of at the moment. The last time I shot a Sig was in 2008 so I'd like to get to a range and check out some rentals and go from there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome. I'm following but can only answer a couple - my experience with SIG's customer service, via returning a cracked Romeo 1 Pro optic for warranty replacement a couple months ago, was a 10.

Interchangeable parts? Yes, on the P320 line - one FCU (the serialized part) works with all grip modules and slides in the P320 family.

Refurbished parts? Yes, on SIG's website.

I was a GLOCK guy until laying eyes (then buying two of them after shooting one) on the original X Carry in early 2018. Then got a couple XF-RXPs, all with Romeo 1 optics (with Romeo 1 Pros on the XFs). I'm a lefty, so never got into the P365 since it doesn't have an ambi slide & mag release.

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello, newer member here. I'm trying to understand the differences in the Sig pistols and gain some general information about how Sig Sauer generally operates. I have been browsing the forums for a few days and I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for. I expect the standard responses like "just use the search" but if there are some here with expert level knowledge I think this type of information would be helpful for me and perhaps other newer members who are exploring Sig pistol options:

It looks like Sig stopped manufacturing .40 caliber pistols this year, that's a real bummer as it is my primary carry and HD caliber.

I think I'm interested in the 226 and 229 pistols, metal frames and hammer fired.

What is Sig's history on discontinuing pistols and how hard is it to source parts to keep them running?

Are parts interchangeable between different models in the lineup or within the same model but different calibers?

I run a Streamlight TLR-1 HL on my HD guns today. I've read that the Sig accessory rail will not accommodate the TLR-1, what pistols in the lineup have a 1913 rail and do those pistols come in .40 S&W?

How about magazine compatibility? Could I run 226 magazines in a 229 for more capacity?

What you you grade Sig customer service on a 10-point scale where 1 is horrible and 10 is outstanding?

Does Sig customer service have any rebuild, refurbish, and refinish services for customers to take advantage of?

That is all I can think of at the moment. The last time I shot a Sig was in 2008 so I'd like to get to a range and check out some rentals and go from there.
Yes, sig seems to have stopped .40 offerings, not sure if due to Covid or long term decision, but they still offer parts and support. Just bought a .40 xchange kit a few weeks back. Never had any problems with support, some ‘reps’ more knowledgeable than others, humans, but never been anything but a 10 in my book.

Sig stands behind everything, I’ve sent 100,000 round pistols in, and they’ve brought them up to spec. Only a couple of discontinued pistols they have difficulty with, front sights on a version of the p232 come to mind(not normal dovetail). The p226 and 229 are mainstays, many versions, all supported to my knowledge.

I think the light you listed fits fine on both the 226 and 229. Seem to recall, a few rails were non standard on the p365, early p250, maybe the p290?

The extended mag for the p229 is the p226 with a sleeve, same for the now discontinued p224(subcompact). Note there have been versions, there is a p228/229 9mm magazine that is thinner, and a p229-1 that fits the p229 mag well better. The p229 was originally designed for the .40 so the mag well is a little larger. The p228 was the 9mm variant originally.

Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Streamlights fit fine on the Sig rail.
I have a TLR4 on my nightstand P229 Elite frame and had a TLR-1 on a P220 which uses the same Sig rail (sold it)

If something goes wrong with a discontinued Sig you can send it in and they have parts to fix it but may not offer parts to sell directly which is the complaint but again they will repair/replace their guns and most parts can be found at various sources (Numrich, Matrix etc etc) and members here are always helping us to find them as well as some parts being sold in the forum classified

The P220/226/229 are still being made even if only in the Legion series at some point so those will have parts to be had

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Stick to the main line up like P220, 226, 229 and the P320 9mm you’ll be fine for parts for a long time to come. The 40SW is temporarily discontinued as demand for 9s is so high they can only make on caliber for now.
Sig does discontinue/change things on their line up just like any company. It’s based off demand for the product.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stick to the main line up like P220, 226, 229 and the P320 9mm you’ll be fine for parts for a long time to come. The 40SW is temporarily discontinued as demand for 9s is so high they can only make on caliber for now.
Sig does discontinue/change things on their line up just like any company. It’s based off demand for the product.
Thank you for contacting Sig Sauer.

Due to the popularity of other calibers many of our current models in .40 have been discontinued and it remains to be seen if we will be resuming manufacturing in .40 again in the future.

Email I got from Sig when I asked if they were gonna make .40 again.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Due to the popularity of other calibers many of our current models in .40 have been discontinued and it remains to be seen if we will be resuming manufacturing in .40 again in the future.

The market spoke and Sig listened. Maybe once things settle down Sig will do some limited runs bringing back some .40 options. The .40 might be Sigs McRib sandwich appearing briefly from time to time :)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
i think most lights now come with 2 or more different keys or adapters for various rail differences.

·
Registered
176 Posts

The market oriented to 9mm because the manufacturers didn't make any .40S&W, not the other way around.
I am looking for a .40, I have a friend that looks for one too... We are limited to S&W as of now. If and when they'll appear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
.40 isn't dead, I wish Sig would realize this. Glock recently came out with the .40 lineup in their Gen 5 pistols.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To add to the Streamlight TLR-1HL non-issue; my P226 with Sig-rail works fine with my TLR-1HL lights with either the "GL" or "1913" Streamlight rail pieces/adapters.

Please re-read whatever you read and get back to this thread as that info is apparently wrong.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The market spoke and Sig listened. Maybe once things settle down Sig will do some limited runs bringing back some .40 options. The .40 might be Sigs McRib sandwich appearing briefly from time to time :)
If runs of .40 are the McRib, then what would you call .357? Shamrock Shake? Or Mayor McCheese? (Hope not)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To add to the Streamlight TLR-1HL non-issue; my P226 with Sig-rail works fine with my TLR-1HL lights with either the "GL" or "1913" Streamlight rail pieces/adapters.

Please re-read whatever you read and get back to this thread as that info is apparently wrong.
Copied from the Streamlight key compatibility document at the URL below:

SIG SAUER:
GSR or 1911 Style with flat bottom rail - Picatinny key.
ANY ALUMINUM FRAME SIG WITH A ROUND BOTTOM RAIL: Including the P220R, P229R, etc. The Sig round bottom rail departs from the true shape of both the 1913 and Universal standards and may cause an improper fit. The TLR will work with the 1913 key but THERE WILL BE DAMAGE to the finish of both the gun and the light. The retaining screw must be TIGHT.
Newer Sig P series guns are supposed to have a true Picatinny rail. This has not been verified by Streamlight.
SP2022 - Polymer frame. Same comments as for aluminum frames, EXCEPT that the polymer frame is a little thicker and does not show marks from a clamp because it is molded from black material. PER SIG, the TLR with the 1913 key works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just a comment on the .40: I was at a Gander Outdoors earlier this evening and they had two NIB P320's in .40. So they are out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts