SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well I have a Trijicon RMR enroute and the plan is to have L&M machine and install as soon as the sight arrives. As I peruse the L&M Web as well as others there are some decisions about BUIS that come to mind. My initial gut decision is to have the Tritium Suppressor sights mounted as well.

I have no experience with an RMR on a Handgun and would like to hear what some of you that have an RMR, think about sight picture and the BUIS.

Things to consider, what you like and what you dislike. For example, are the BUIS to tall, too bright, to small or in the way.

Kevin

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did a RMR install on a P320 Compact slide and installed Ameriglo SG-181 suppressor sights as a back up. With just over 3000+ rounds i've yet to use the iron sights as the RMR has not failed to date. When looking through the RMR I don't even notice the iron sights even though they are visible as I'm focused on the red dot. In my opinion they are not obtrusive but are there if I need them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I had a RMR on my Glock 17 MOS. The suppressor sights i installed were to high for the RMR i had to move the RMR sight to my Glock with a ZEV slide which had lower co-witness sights I then installed a Vortex Venom red dot on the 17 which is larger and the sights were the right height to co-witness for the venom red dot on that Glock.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Congrats on your RMR - You'll luv it!! I have a 6.5MOA on my FNX-45 Tactical and am totally pleased with faster, more accurate shots at greater distances. This pistol also has suppressor height irons that co-witness in the lower portion of the optic.

I probably couldn't see these irons if they were a standard height. This co-witness was handy when zeroing the RMR, and would be handy if the optic failed. Otherwise, I really don't see 'em.

Since these reflex optics' focal plane is the same as the target, I'm simply looking at the target and placing the dot on the target. This simple/faster sighting technique shaves a couple tens off my draw & shoot times, and presses my distances out ~5yds. Yeah, my 15yd targets with this gun look like my typical 10yd prints.

Given this sight's ridiculous battery life, there's really nothing to dislike - Except the COST!!

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
L&M did my Trijicon on my P229EE. I also had him install the suppressor sights for co-witness during the RMR mount. I later bought the Jellyfish cover for the RMR. The one picture shows that you can even see the dot on the RMR through the jelly fish cover, though it not intended to be used with the cover on the RMR. This is my nightstand weapon.

As far as use, I really like the RMR sight for quick target picture with my aging eyes. I enjoy diversity and shoot iron sights, laser dot and RMR. The iron point and shoot center mass is my primary practice, but I like the laser and RMR backup options.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mark did my RMR on my X5. I love it. Get the co-witness suppressor sights for sure.
The only issue I had was that the dot flickered. A few ppl has had this issue with RMR's on their handguns. If it happens to you, all you have to do is bend the battery terminal or add some electrical tape to the back of the battery so that it's thicker and pushes against the terminal better.

Other than that...best upgrade to my X5 by far

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
Mark did my RMR on my X5. I love it. Get the co-witness suppressor sights for sure.
The only issue I had was that the dot flickered. A few ppl has had this issue with RMR's on their handguns. If it happens to you, all you have to do is bend the battery terminal or add some electrical tape to the back of the battery so that it's thicker and pushes against the terminal better.

Other than that...best upgrade to my X5 by far
I ran into the same issue. I called tech support and they warned about over-tightening the system to the base plate. As you stated, the battery terminal can get crushed and lose contact if over-tightened. Bending it back or using tape is a good suggestion. I just bent the contact up a little and was extra careful about how tight I screwed the RMR back on. Haven't had the problem ever since. I am also very impressed with the battery life.

Reactions: Armymark

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ran into the same issue. I called tech support and they warned about over-tightening the system to the base plate. As you stated, the battery terminal can get crushed and lose contact if over-tightened. Bending it back or using tape is a good suggestion. I just bent the contact up a little and was extra careful about how tight I screwed the RMR back on. Haven't had the problem ever since. I am also very impressed with the battery life.
Great info there form both of you. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.