SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those that try to poo poo trigger jobs saying their 365 is buttery smooth, you fail to realize the quality of triggers coming out of Sig varies significantly. I tried one out at a gun show and indeed the trigger was buttery smooth. But when they sold me one from their stock the trigger pull was gritty and almost eight pounds. After two returns to Sig there was little noticeable improvement. So I had an Mcarbo trigger installed. It was not buttery smooth...it was melted buttery smooth. My two points are that you might get a trigger on a Sig that is crappy. If you do Mcarbo will provide a quick solution.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've got the McCarbo spring kit along with a Grayguns adjustable trigger installed on my 365xl and the spring kit made a big difference
Was the improvement in weight of pull only? Just curious because I can live with the existing pull weight. I am looking for an improvement in smoothness and consistency of the pull and breaking point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For those that try to poo poo trigger jobs saying their 365 is buttery smooth, you fail to realize the quality of triggers coming out of Sig varies significantly. I tried one out at a gun show and indeed the trigger was buttery smooth. But when they sold me one from their stock the trigger pull was gritty and almost eight pounds. After two returns to Sig there was little noticeable improvement. So I had an Mcarbo trigger installed. It was not buttery smooth...it was melted buttery smooth. My two points are that you might get a trigger on a Sig that is crappy. If you do Mcarbo will provide a quick solution.
i guess this post answers my question about whether the improvement was only in weight of pull or also smoothness. Did you install yourself or have Mcarbo handle the installation?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does anyone have any experience to report on having the trigger smoothed and lightened on their P365? I have been searching for results on having either Sig or The Sig Armorer work on my 365 XL trigger. The results (NONE on the P365) of work done by Sig have been mixed. Reviews of work by Robert Burke (The Sig Armorer) have been universally excellent but I have yet to find any reviews of work done by either Sig or Burke on the P365 trigger.

Thanks for any reports.
So I contacted Robert about the P365 work and he says its only smoothing, no lightening of the trigger pull. That said I decided to do my own work... A few companies make reduced power spring sets (MCarbo, Tactical Pontoon). The company Tactical Triggers makes a kit for the P365 which is supposed to be pretty awesome.

I installed an MCarbo reduced power spring kit and at the same time polished all the contact surfaces with a Dremel and Flitz. The difference is noticeable though its still not where I would like it. I may try out the Tactical Triggers P365 kit and see how that is.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Robert Burke did his magic on my 365Xl and it is a solid improvement over what it was out of the box.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The way I see/feel the P365 trigger with my 2 examples of new P365X's is:

During pretravel there is 2 bumps/ledges/whatever before you hit the wall. Once you continue past the wall it's like a rolling revolverish DAO-like feel until it breaks. Overtravel seems nonexistent after the break. Reset is positive. Maybe too positive. At times I find myself going further than needed and have to go through all the pretravel again. Not sure if this makes sense?

After the wall I have zero issues with the P365 trigger. It's those little bumps before the wall that I don't care for. They seem to lesson a bit now that I have close to 1k on one of my pistols. Does this effect my ability to shoot these pistols well? Not really, but it would be nice of those bumps weren't there. The triggers weight is fine, IMO. I bought the mcarbo kit, but have decided against installing it. These are CCW guns that I AIWB without MS. I'll be leaving my triggers alone.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Meh, I've 3 365s, and had two previously; none were awful, some were better than others.
For a small defense gun they were fine.
Concur with previous posters about not making the trigger lighter.
If you are an old DA revo guy, shoot the 365 the same way, roll the trigger thru'.
Frankly find the SIG trigger more forgiving than a Glock with its wall at the end of the stroke. I find myself more likely to stage those.
Moon

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tactical Trigger modification, that looks really nice for a range/fun gun but for an edc weapon my sense of self-preservation wouldn't allow me to carry my defense pistol modified to that extent and I don't think anyone could talk me into carrying a pistol with those additions added.

Will give credit to them though for really thinking outside the box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tactical Trigger modification, that looks really nice for a range/fun gun but for an edc weapon my sense of self-preservation wouldn't allow me to carry my defense pistol modified to that extent and I don't think anyone could talk me into carrying a pistol with those additions added.

Will give credit to them though for really thinking outside the box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased a P365 in June 2021 and have been very pleased with the exception of the trigger. Gun has great ergonomics / recoil control and mechanical accuracy but the trigger just had a ton of creep. Bad creep. Pull weight was fine. I measured between 5.5 to 6 pounds. It was the creep that followed once you hit the wall. So I began my mission to improve the trigger. I did a full polish job of all internals of the FCU and replaced the trigger with the factory sig flat trigger hoping for better geometry and possibly a little more leverage from a longer trigger shoe. Things were slightly better but that inconsistent (notchy) creep following the wall still existed. In reviewing options on the internet the only manufacturer that i reviewed that claimed a reduction in creep was tacticaltrigger.com so I ordered their kit which i must admit is a bit pricey for what parts you get. Their kit addresses sear engagement, pretravel, overtravel and pull weight. While I was waiting for the shipping of the kit I continued to fiddle with the gun. I used gunblast and stripped all the conventional gun oil off the polished FCU and applied a dryable silicone lubricant that I often use on my pocket knives and let it completely dry leaving a thin layer of film on all friction point to include striker and sear. Voila! Trigger became very smooth and predictable with a 1/2lb reduction in pull weight. The 1/8 inch of trigger travel (creep) once you hit the wall still existed but it remained perfectly smooth and constant in its take up. I was completely satisfied with the trigger now for EDC but now the tactical trigger kit was on the way. So when it arrived I seriously debated sending it right back but my curiosity got the best of me. I installed it. The kit is extremely simple but amazingly effective. The result is a super crisp 3.5 to 4 lb pull with virtually no creep and super short reset. The resulting trigger pull weight is actually a little light for my tastes and i didnt even use the reduced striker safety spring included in the kit. I can only assume that the reduction is a function of the sear spring. So now I debate whether to remove the kit to make the trigger a little more forgiving or just train more to take advantage of it precision. I will say that had I stumbled on the dry film lube earlier I would of never ordered the kit. That being said the kit is incredibly effective at improving the stock factory trigger.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My best fix for the P365 trigger is to buy a Glock and shoot it. Then you will appreciate the P365 trigger.

After owning M&Ps and Glocks for decades, then getting a P365, I was amazed at the wonderful 5.0 lb trigger. Not sure if I got a rare gem or what, but I'm very happy with mine. I've never even considered doing anything to the trigger.
I agree with you. It amazes me how many will poo poo the triggers on these relatively cheap CQC EDC pistols. They weren't built for bullseye shooting and I'd suspect if anyone had to use theirs in a defensive situation they wouldn't notice the trigger or sight picture for that matter. I think the stock 365 trigger is pretty awesome but I also don't expect it to feel like a 226 in SA mode either.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I purchased a P365 in June 2021 and have been very pleased with the exception of the trigger. Gun has great ergonomics / recoil control and mechanical accuracy but the trigger just had a ton of creep. Bad creep. Pull weight was fine. I measured between 5.5 to 6 pounds. It was the creep that followed once you hit the wall. So I began my mission to improve the trigger. I did a full polish job of all internals of the FCU and replaced the trigger with the factory sig flat trigger hoping for better geometry and possibly a little more leverage from a longer trigger shoe. Things were slightly better but that inconsistent (notchy) creep following the wall still existed. In reviewing options on the internet the only manufacturer that i reviewed that claimed a reduction in creep was tacticaltrigger.com so I ordered their kit which i must admit is a bit pricey for what parts you get. Their kit addresses sear engagement, pretravel, overtravel and pull weight. While I was waiting for the shipping of the kit I continued to fiddle with the gun. I used gunblast and stripped all the conventional gun oil off the polished FCU and applied a dryable silicone lubricant that I often use on my pocket knives and let it completely dry leaving a thin layer of film on all friction point to include striker and sear. Voila! Trigger became very smooth and predictable with a 1/2lb reduction in pull weight. The 1/8 inch of trigger travel (creep) once you hit the wall still existed but it remained perfectly smooth and constant in its take up. I was completely satisfied with the trigger now for EDC but now the tactical trigger kit was on the way. So when it arrived I seriously debated sending it right back but my curiosity got the best of me. I installed it. The kit is extremely simple but amazingly effective. The result is a super crisp 3.5 to 4 lb pull with virtually no creep and super short reset. The resulting trigger pull weight is actually a little light for my tastes and i didnt even use the reduced striker safety spring included in the kit. I can only assume that the reduction is a function of the sear spring. So now I debate whether to remove the kit to make the trigger a little more forgiving or just train more to take advantage of it precision. I will say that had I stumbled on the dry film lube earlier I would of never ordered the kit. That being said the kit is incredibly effective at improving the stock factory trigger.
Nice writeup there. Good info. Personally, I'd put the stock parts back in there for carry.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I did a full polish job of all internals of the FCU and replaced the trigger with the factory sig flat trigger hoping for better geometry and possibly a little more leverage from a longer trigger shoe. Things were slightly better but that inconsistent (notchy) creep following the wall still existed. In reviewing options on the internet the only manufacturer that i reviewed that claimed a reduction in creep was tacticaltrigger.com so I ordered their kit which i must admit is a bit pricey for what parts you get. Their kit addresses sear engagement, pretravel, overtravel and pull weight. While I was waiting for the shipping of the kit I continued to fiddle with the gun. I used gunblast and stripped all the conventional gun oil off the polished FCU and applied a dryable silicone lubricant that I often use on my pocket knives and let it completely dry leaving a thin layer of film on all friction point to include striker and sear. Voila! Trigger became very smooth and predictable with a 1/2lb reduction in pull weight.
Can you tell me what dryable silicone lube you used?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Keep in mind that a best use TACTICAL trigger is something entirely different from a competition range trigger meant to cut clock times and improve your standings in a group of dozens at an artificial contest.

TACTICAL triggers don't get lightened - in point of fact, all issue sniper rifles in US inventory had the weight adjustment removed a few years back, and the result has had fewer problems and just as accurate result if not better. Those very skilled users in teams who might have a less than 6 pound trigger also practice with over 10,000 round annually and they practice live fire in shoot houses - with the tragic consequence of at least one a year being killed by friendly fire.

There are those who like to think they can carry a lightened race trigger on a TACTICAL weapon but it's a major mistake in not understanding what is really needed and that the misapplication is what causes so many problems in carry and use. Unfortunately all too many take it as a mark against their masculinity rather than consider it's eventually going to leave a mark on THEM for their cavalier attitude about safe usage.

If you pull that weapon in self defense and discharge it, the #1 thing reported after incident is that the trigger worked just fine. Accuracy, however, is often lacking. Instead of monkeying with race triggers, go shoot more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you tell me what dryable silicone lube you used?
Yes - "Finish Line Bike dry lube with Teflon". ( check Amazon) Liberally coat all contact surfaces with in the FCU to include sear and striker in slide. It will dry. I use conventional oil for slide rails and breech block. please note i did this in conjunction with polishing all contact surfaces in FCU. I believe the teflon film works well with the polished surfaces. I reread this thread and I believe your complaints in trigger quality most closely reflect mine. its not trigger pull but creep and erratic let of following the wall that bothers you. These two things fixed my issues with trigger pull quality

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out youtube video "Sig P365 Trigger job" by Guy from WI. It will show you the key parts to polish. There are also excellent assembly / disassembly videos for the FCU. The gun is very modular in nature. Dremel with felt polishing bits or 800 grit paper and hard backer. You will replicate what 1000's of rounds of live fire will create. I understand the difference between a bullseye target trigger and a tactical trigger but i also understand the importance of a quality trigger in a short barreled compact pistol. Good luck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I installed the MCarbo spring set and the Sig flat trigger on my P365 and it transformed it. Very smooth, lightened tigger pull. It went from 3-4 inch groups at 10 yds to one ragged hole. It was all pretty easy to do and MCarbo has a great installation video that walks you through the process at a granular level. Do this first. Then look at polishing or going to Robert Burke - who is a great guy and gun smith.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts