SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just bought a railed Sig 1911 and it has a particularly bad trigger. Lots of creep, feels heavy, break is spongy. I feel bad considering I pushed my buddy to buy this based on my older Sig 1911 Target model that has an unbelievably great trigger. I made the mistake of not going to the gun shop with him when buying it. In any case, he is stuck with it and now trying to decide what’s the best way to remedy.

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith that knows Sig 1911s? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
177 Posts
FWIW, I just bought a Sig Fastback Nightmare Carry. The trigger had a lot of creep and both vertical and sideways slop.

I bought a Wilson Combat trigger...and watched a lot of youtube videos. ;) Some 2,000 grit sandpaper and about 3 or 4 tries, and the new trigger was fitted. Next, I adjusted the setback. That took 3 tries. (<- each of those required me to put the lower back together.) Finally, I set the overtravel.

Now...it is as crisp, clean, smooth, and snug as any of my other 1911s.

A side benefit? This was my first time taking apart a 1911 like this. Now, having done it about 4 times, it only takes about 5 minutes to disassemble and then reassemble. Gained a great trigger AND a new skill. :)

·
🎖USMC Retired Premium Member
2,806 Posts
1911’s are among the easiest pistols to adjust a trigger pull. It does take some knowledge, so if you‘re not willing to put in the effort or don’t have the tools, look for a competent 1911 gunsmith. There are plenty around.

1911 triggers have numerous places changes can, and may have to, be made. These include the hammer notch, the sear engagement surface, the sear shoulder length, the tension of the 3-finger-spring, and lastly perhaps a lightweight trigger. Look these parts up, then look for a video on how to adjust them. Brownell’s sells a sear jig that allows you to cut them as you like them - crisp or don’t-know-when-it-will-fire. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

But the bottom line is that that trigger can and should be turned into a first grade trigger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts