SIG Talk banner

Trigger "bite" with 357 Sig but not 9MM?

1980 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Ltn
I have a 9MM carry that I purchased in early 2015. I'm pretty sure it is the original trigger (not the newer "adverse" trigger). I've never experienced the "trigger bite" with it that others have noticed. However, I recently bought a 357 sig conversion kit (also a carry size) and lo and behold I've noticed some trigger bite. Not too bad, and I've been able to deal with it by adjusting my grip a little. I just don't understand why I would feel it with one caliber and not the other when it is the same FCU used for both. What gives? Is it just the extra power of the 357 sig that is making it noticeable? Anybody else experience this scenario?

Has anyone replaced their original trigger with the new adverse trigger? Is that something the user can do, or does it require a gunsmith?
Reactions: bearone2
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I think the trigger sting issue with the pre-adverse trigger was due primarily to trigger vibration. The adverse trigger filled in the hollow area on the back of the trigger near the tip which damped the vibration. I suspect the 357 SIG just being a more powerful cartridge tends to cause more vibration transmitted to the trigger.

· Registered
43 Posts
If you check out guns firing in slow-mo, you'll realize everything jiggles and undulates in a violent fashion. It could be, that the 357 is powerful enough to transmit energy to the "hollow" trigger, to cause trigger slap; whereas the 9mm didn't hit the threshold. You'll need a high speed camera to know 100%, but I suspect that to be the case.

· Registered
282 Posts
trigger bite or finger pinch??
I get pinched.

I know when I shoot about 2 to 300 rounds in my 9mm compact 2015 model (with original trigger)
I get a blood blister on the bottom edge of my pad, and that's even with slow regulated trigger pulls and slow release to reset the trigger.
If I do cqb style shooting from draw or from low ready (just point and shoot) I get the same pinch,
Ive found the easiest thing for me to do is just wear a small bandaid around my finger and don't worry about it..

· Registered
3,458 Posts
Sound like this trigger bite thang is more about trigger and grip control than anything else . Iv'e never felt it with any firearm . My edc is a p320c in 40sw and the loads I run have at least as much energy with heavier felt recoil as the hottest 357sig loads 155gr at 1318fps with old trigger design .

· Registered
27 Posts
I think that to get the pinch or bite especially to the point of a blood blister indicates poor trigger control. The trigger finger should never have more pressure on it than the amount it takes to fire the weapon, 4 to 5 lbs. The trigger finger should operate independent of the other fingers or hand. If the shooter flinches or anticipates the shot he will use the trigger finger as a part of the grip to control recoil. This could result in 15, 20, or more pounds of pressure on the trigger.

· Registered
282 Posts
I think that to get the pinch or bite especially to the point of a blood blister indicates poor trigger control. The trigger finger should never have more pressure on it than the amount it takes to fire the weapon, 4 to 5 lbs. The trigger finger should operate independent of the other fingers or hand. If the shooter flinches or anticipates the shot he will use the trigger finger as a part of the grip to control recoil. This could result in 15, 20, or more pounds of pressure on the trigger.
Lol
Ok
I guess hickcock45 also uses "poor trigger control" as you say,
, because he was who I got the idea of using a bandaid while shooting the p320..

If I only shoot a box or 2 of ammo it's a non issue..

and it's not as if I am crying about it, I just described how the trigger bite pinches a blood blister on my finger after 200 or 300 rounds in a range session.

And yes I understand the concept of only allowing the trigger finger operate at the pressure needed to press the trigger..

· Registered
389 Posts

· Registered
3,458 Posts
Nothing we can tell you will be a for sure fire fix for your problems . If you think you need a new trigger shape Buy a trigger and find out . Maybe you need to change your reach to the trigger you have . Buy a grip in a larger size and see how it works . If it does not work for you who's going to get the blame then . If you can place your finger differently on the trigger when shooting try that too . Parts are out there if needed or wanted so take your best shot at finding what you need .

· Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing we can tell you will be a for sure fire fix for your problems . If you think you need a new trigger shape Buy a trigger and find out . Maybe you need to change your reach to the trigger you have . Buy a grip in a larger size and see how it works . If it does not work for you who's going to get the blame then . If you can place your finger differently on the trigger when shooting try that too . Parts are out there if needed or wanted so take your best shot at finding what you need .
I was able to deal with it by adjusting my grip some. I've also ordered an Apex trigger. It's reasonably priced and perhaps I'll like it better anyway. If I don't I can always go back to the original trigger. In any case, it's worth a try.

· Registered
181 Posts
Last week I ordered the adverse trigger from sig, not because of the trigger "bite" issue, but because I can't stand the empty space in front of and above the original trigger. To me, it's an open path for debris to get into the FCU and it looks much better without the gap/hole.

I haven't experienced the "bite" like others have. Mine is a 9mm compact. There are videos on YouTube that show how to replace or change the trigger. Looks pretty easy.

· Registered
389 Posts
Have you tried JUST swapping the slide, not moving the FCU? That should eliminate everything to do with the grip size/shape/style, etc.

· Registered
37 Posts
Maybe this is a coincidence but the first time I shot my p320 compact I didn't realize the trigger stop pin had fell out when I broke the gun down to clean and lube before the range. Once I was at the range the first shot I felt the trigger bite. Then I came home cleaned the gun and noticed the pin on my carpet. Replaced the pin and the next day at the range the trigger had no bite. Double check to make sure the trigger stop pin is still in the fcu. It can fall out pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.