SIG Talk banner

Transporting a handgun through New York state.

10494 41
I'm getting conflicting information about this. I'm planning a trip to the east coast (Maine specifically) and I wanted to take my Sig.

NY State Trooper is telling me that there is absolutely no way to move it across NY legally.

Anyone have any info to share?

TIA
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Curmudgeon.

My advise. If you are going to travel there, Book a airline flight to Bangor or Manchester New Hampshire. Pack your weapon in a secured case in your luggage and package that with the airline as Checked Baggage. Have the Airline responsible for the Checking, not T(thieves)S (steal) A(Anything).

Depending on where you are coming from, it is cheaper in terms of fuel and a LOT less worrisome then dealing with NYS. Even if you are in a RV, and travel with the weapons in the rear of the RV (Which is your temporary Home) NY Courts ignore the constitution and will find you guilty, and you have to go the appeal route.

East of Ohio, and North of the Potomac River is essentially a No Gun Land. Even though Penna. "supposedly" recognizes my Virginia CCW, I sat on the side of the road for 1 1/2 hour, had to talk with 3 different police and was taken to a station before it was accepted that "You can go now."

And this was while going through Harrisburg.

There is a reason that states don't share "CCW" information with NY. Or Maryland. Or Delaware, Or New Jersey.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense”, the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York seems to be one of those, that may only be raised after an arrest. All travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions’ official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information. In the event of an unexpected or extended delay, travelers should make every effort not to handle any luggage containing firearms unnecessarily and to secure it in a location where they do not have ready access to it.

For more:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

Reactions: Batsy and SATX

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I'm getting conflicting information about this. I'm planning a trip to the east coast (Maine specifically) and I wanted to take my Sig.

NY State Trooper is telling me that there is absolutely no way to move it across NY legally.

Anyone have any info to share?

TIA
Google is your friend. Never trust a cop for legal advise as they are not lawyers and don't always know the full extent of the laws.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curmudgeon.

My advise. If you are going to travel there, Book a airline flight to Bangor or Manchester New Hampshire. Pack your weapon in a secured case in your luggage and package that with the airline as Checked Baggage. Have the Airline responsible for the Checking, not T(thieves)S (steal) A(Anything).

Depending on where you are coming from, it is cheaper in terms of fuel and a LOT less worrisome then dealing with NYS. Even if you are in a RV, and travel with the weapons in the rear of the RV (Which is your temporary Home) NY Courts ignore the constitution and will find you guilty, and you have to go the appeal route.

East of Ohio, and North of the Potomac River is essentially a No Gun Land. Even though Penna. "supposedly" recognizes my Virginia CCW, I sat on the side of the road for 1 1/2 hour, had to talk with 3 different police and was taken to a station before it was accepted that "You can go now."

And this was while going through Harrisburg.

There is a reason that states don't share "CCW" information with NY. Or Maryland. Or Delaware, Or New Jersey.
Yup, that's what I'm finding out, what Blue Shades eh?

Well, I guess it stays home as we are driving up. Sad state of affairs it is.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You must unload the 'offending' weapon
Put a lock on the 'offending' weapon
Put the offending' weapon in a small lockable case.
Put this case in a "M" Class Burglar Safe.
Load safe into a cage with hardened steel bars
Cage is loaded and bolted (or welded) into a lockable box trailer.
Attach signage of no less than 6" tall on the trailer in all 4 directions stating " WARNING !! OFFENSIVE WEAPON ON BOARD - STAY BACK 500 FEET!"
(Since you will be traveling so close to Canada, The signage will also have to be in French.)
Attach trailer to your vehicle and have a pleasant trip.

Also, you must not have the keys for any of the locks within 1 statute mile of you. You must, instead, mail all the keys to yourself at your destination via certified US MAil.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
You must unload the 'offending' weapon
Put a lock on the 'offending' weapon
Put the offending' weapon in a small lockable case.
Put this case in a "M" Class Burglar Safe.
Load safe into a cage with hardened steel bars
Cage is loaded and bolted (or welded) into a lockable box trailer.
Attach signage of no less than 6" tall on the trailer in all 4 directions stating " WARNING !! OFFENSIVE WEAPON ON BOARD - STAY BACK 500 FEET!"
(Since you will be traveling so close to Canada, The signage will also have to be in French.)
Attach trailer to your vehicle and have a pleasant trip.

Also, you must not have the keys for any of the locks within 1 statute mile of you. You must, instead, mail all the keys to yourself at your destination via certified US MAil.

Hence the difficulties traveling outside Free States. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
As they say, "You may beat the charge but you will still take the ride".

No thanks.
Sadly, with the People's Democratic Republics of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, and California I am afraid you are correct.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Sadly, with the People's Democratic Republics of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, and California I am afraid you are correct.
Fortunately in most of the state of Commiefornia you are still allowed to transport your firearm in your vehicle with you as long as you keep it locked up. Unfortunately we still don't recognize out of state CCWs. So in that respect we are not as backwards as say New York.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fortunately in most of the state of Commiefornia you are still allowed to transport your firearm in your vehicle with you as long as you keep it locked up.

But could I as a non-resident?

Unfortunately we still don't recognize out of state CCWs. So in that respect we are not as backwards as say New York.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The law does not designate between resident and non-resident. And from all the discussions I have been in and read about on Calguns forum the only time you would be in trouble would be if you were travelling within the state and carrying it either concealed upon yourself or within easy reach within the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The law does not designate between resident and non-resident. And from all the discussions I have been in and read about on Calguns forum the only time you would be in trouble would be if you were travelling within the state and carrying it either concealed upon yourself or within easy reach within the passenger compartment.
Well, you are indeed a leg up on NY.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Fortunately in most of the state of Commiefornia you are still allowed to transport your firearm in your vehicle with you as long as you keep it locked up. Unfortunately we still don't recognize out of state CCWs. So in that respect we are not as backwards as say New York.
Sort of like the difference between Iran and North Korea....ok, got it - thanks.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Stingray.
That applies to California Residents. Non Residents go to Jail. They do not pass go and they do pay LOTS of Dollars attempting to defend themselves.

Especially White, Middle Class, non criminals.

California can't do anything with the crooks, gangs or minority criminals, so they go after the ones with Money they can touch.

West of the Rockies? North of the Potomac? East of Ohio? Nope. No way ever.

(I even get nervous on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Travel Through Northeast States

I have traveled through NY, NJ, CT and MA many times with guns and ammo on my way to free states. I always make sure I have a full tank so that I don't need to stop before PA. I follow all the FOPA rules, but most importantly, I obey the rules of the road. No speeding, use turn signals and don't do stupid things. No range bag for gear, just an old tool bag, and no NRA or pro gun stickers. Travel incognito. Don't give them an excuse.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.