SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am a new owner to both Handguns and Sig (just bought P226). My question is about transporting my gun to the range. Here is the scenario...

I live about 35 - 40 minutes from my office for work. That office is about 2 miles from a popular indoor range. There really is no range closer to my house than that range. So, it would be very convenient if I could put my locked gun into the trunk of my car in the morning, go to work, and then go to the range after work. Then go right home when done at the range. Provided I have no ammo in the car during any of this transport, buy ammo at the range and use all that I buy (thus not transporting any ammo at all), does it seems fair that this would be legal?

Any help / comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Go by your state laws. In Calif. gun must be in a locked container and ammo must be in a separate compartment. When I go to the range I put the ammo in my range bag and into the bed of my truck and the locked gun case in the cab. The folks at the range should be able to steer you straight.
And welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
New Jersey has some of the most prickly gun laws in the country. Based on what little I know about the laws there, while convenient, I would not transport my gun in the manner you describe - in the vehicle for work then to the range. If you are discovered, it can be some real heartache.

A couple of sources you can consider:

handgunlaw.us - a good compilation of the laws of the state

New Jersey Second Amendment Society - contact them, they should be able to set you straight - also, consider being a member, I'm a member and don't live in NJ, they are fighting the good fight!

Anthony Colandro - Contact Anthony, he is a principle at the Woodland Park Range and very active in NJ 2nd Amendment issues

Evan Nappen - the premier firearms attorney in NJ

Be careful, don't want to end up in a world of hurt!

·
Registered
63 Posts
For transporting, to and from the range, the law states specifically "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary". I have not heard a single interpretation that the scenario you describe would be considered a "reasonable deviation". The only way I would consider doing what you describe is to get a signed letter from local law enforcement endorsing your activity. I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Everything above notwithstanding, the quickest way to answer your questions may be to call a nearby state police barracks and get it from the horse's mouth.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
The only way I would consider doing what you describe is to get a signed letter from local law enforcement endorsing your activity.
Even with that, being 30-40 minutes from work, most likely travelling through a few different localities. Even a signed letter from local law enforcement wouldn't be worth much with a different locality. I've heard it interpreted such that stopping to fill up the gas tank or getting a burger from a fast food joint could fall under suspicion. While it may seem reasonable to the prudent man, . . .

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't suppose the range has a locker you can rent. I love leaving all my gear at the range, less stress and much more convenient.

·
Registered
17,769 Posts
For transporting, to and from the range, the law states specifically "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary". I have not heard a single interpretation that the scenario you describe would be considered a "reasonable deviation". The only way I would consider doing what you describe is to get a signed letter from local law enforcement endorsing your activity. I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
One of the members of my weekly shooting group, who was born and raised in New Jersey and spent his whole working life there, then retired to Arizona states that it is definitely illegal to do what you want to do, OP.

I wouldn't chance being caught if I were you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. The answers I supplied are what I expected. Guess I have to retire early and move to a more lenient state...

"Malicious Compliance" the Woodland Park Range is the one I am talking about.

"dohvb1" I don't know if they have lockers, but since I only have the one gun it wouldn't help much for home defense. Appreciate the idea though. The range / shop I purchased the gun at does have lockers. RTSP.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't think your scenario would be considered legal in our state..I was of the belief that you had to transport directlly to and from the range and I don't think having the gun in your trunk all day while you are a work would be a reasonable deviation....or just don't get caught..

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Welcome from Florida. As a former N.Y.C. resident 28 years ago i know what you are going thru back then on a trip to the range gun locked in a case i could not stop to take a leak :). That is why i am in Florida "Land of The Free".

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Welcome to PA, home of Open Carry, but need a permit to carry concealed!

If you have a CCW permit, carry in your car, loaded. Are your State laws different?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I lived in NJ for a few years and would definitely not recommend it. Be careful about your place of work rules when it comes to guns also. Some refuse to let them in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have a friend that lives in NJ and when he goes to the range he makes no stops. He has spoken to law enforcement and they say that you must be going directly to the range or returning from it in NJ. No stopping for gas, food, etc. He makes sure he has enough gas before he goes and does not stop either way.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Thanks, MC. Didn't realize NJ was so strict. Lived in Pennsylvania all my life.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome to PA, home of Open Carry, but need a permit to carry concealed!

If you have a CCW permit, carry in your car, loaded. Are your State laws different?

Jersey issuing CCW's now that's a LOL I needed all day - Doesn't exist in the Garden State. We are completely disarmed outside our home if not LEO or political elite.

9 million people in this state and only about 500 permits were issued last year, I'm sure mostly for armed security guards that it was a job requirement but the other few are politically connected or elites.

Note that the 500 or so permits do not include any law enforcement that I am aware of as the retired LEO's are covered under a different requirement for their CCW.

And now you know why I'm moving the f!ck out. And for the record as long as you are an ID card holder you can transport to and from the range in a range bag as long as firearm is unloaded, and in your trunk, or not accessible from your passenger compartment. No need to lock it.

Reasonable deviations is correct though, God forbid you stop for lunch with your buddy after the range and get pulled over - you might be doing 5 years because God knows they will throw the book at you for such a dastardly firearms offense.

And the next incoming candidate for governor is proposing a state "Office of Immigrant Protection" - just let that sink in.

My .02....

·
Registered
977 Posts
New Jersey (and a few more states) are doing the most they can to prohibit and/or restrict law abiding gun owners. Glad I don't have to deal with them!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a similar scenario and what you described is illegal here in our state. Sucks but that's the way it is here.

It is very specific and other than stopping to fuel, eat or take a ****, your taking a chance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts