SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you carry a tourniquet in your range bag? I hadn't thought much about it until someone brought it up at my last gun club meeting. The range I use is outside and quite aways from any help. I don't usually shoot alone but there are times when I am the only one there so I go ahead and shoot.
I recently added one to my range bad and hope I never have to use it on myself or anyone else. Just something I had never thought about.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
In the case of external bleeding from penetrating trauma, you are always better off attempting to control hemorrhage with direct pressure. Consider a tourniquet only if bleeding cannot be controlled in that fashion.

Even if direct pressure fails, hemorrhage can often be controlled or lessened with direct arterial pressure proximal to the site of bleeding. The brachial artery can generally be controlled this way at mid upper arm level or at the elbow. The femoral artery likewise can be controlled with direct pressure, as can the popliteal at the knee. Controlling hemorrhage by direct proximal arterial pressure has the advantage of not completely disrupting the collateral circulation, and is less likely to cause nerve injury than a tourniquet.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I am a physician with over 25 years practice experience in general and peripheral vascular surgery, including 1 1/2 years full-time emergency department management and have been a staff surgeon at a Level II trauma center.
You are [email protected]! I want you to hangout with me for safety reasons. My safety!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
A tourniquet in the range bag,YES! 1 in each car and...
I've grown accustomed to wearing cargo pants & cago shorts, so a tourniquet & Israeli pressure bandage, EDC in one pocket, nearly always..."Be Prepared"

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have a basic first aid kit and clot stop bag, but my certification has expired (won't be renewing as I am retiring soon), so will not be using it for unknown others. My legal protections vanished with the certification, so I become a target for ambulance chasers for any assistance if it accidentally includes something I was trained to do in formal classes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Israeli bandage in my pistol bag pocket and a phone to call 911. Bad scenario that I've never actually witnessed at a range. Maybe ask the one poster that's seen numerous catastrophic failures of Glocks....?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just attended an excellent two day emergency medical course by Dark Angel Medical at Scottsdale Gun Club (AZ) in which use of tourniquet was covered in detail, especially in relation to gunshot wounds. Google Dark Angel Medical to see a variety of compact med kits which can be easily attached to or carried in a range bag. This course and products highly recommended.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just attended an excellent two day emergency medical course by Dark Angel Medical at Scottsdale Gun Club (AZ) in which use of tourniquet was covered in detail, especially in relation to gun shot wounds. Google Dark Angel Medical to see a variety of compact med kits which can be easily attached to or carried in a range bag. This course and products highly recommended.
Concur wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yep! Not only in my range bag, but usually have one in my ED Backpack, and one in the truck along with a full bag. Paramedic/EMT with a bunch of extra combat medicine / trauma training that I've picked up additionally.

Here is my blow-out bag that's usually on me while shooting.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Yep! Not only in my range bag, but usually have one in my ED Backpack, and one in the truck along with a full bag. Paramedic/EMT with a bunch of extra combat medicine / trauma training that I've picked up additionally.

Here is my blow-out bag that's usually on me while shooting.

I have this exact tourniquet in my EDC pack, and I'm going to get a couple more. One to stay in the truck, one for my wife's car, who is a RN, one to go in my range pack, and perhaps another one to keep on me when I'm hunting, shooting, hiking, etc. Not that I do all those things now...but seriously, it is a great idea to have at a minimum a small medical kit on hand just for GP in life.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I have a first aid kit plus Blood clotting sponge. Also Large roll of Masking tape. Tape is for wrapping large area if needed after sponge or bandage is in place.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Wouldn't your belt work?
Not sure, can you create enough pressure to stop blood flow with a belt? If so, I guess it would.

I have a basic first aid kit and clot stop bag, but my certification has expired (won't be renewing as I am retiring soon), so will not be using it for unknown others. My legal protections vanished with the certification, so I become a target for ambulance chasers for any assistance if it accidentally includes something I was trained to do in formal classes.
I'm no EMT so I don't share all of these concerns, but the intent of my kit is for loved ones or acquaintances in defensive firearms incidents. Sure, I've taken a couple of tactical trauma classes and read Beating the Reaper (a book on the topic I highly recommend!), but without proper medical training, not sure I want to expose myself to potential liability with a complete stranger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure, can you create enough pressure to stop blood flow with a belt? If so, I guess it would.
Well ... maybe. If a belt is all you have, better than nothing. However, may be difficult to apply, and hold pressure, especially if applying to yourself one handed. A modern CAT-7 tourniquet can be applied more quickly and one handed (as in to yourself if necessary), and can be used for other purposes as well. Cost is about the same a a box of WWB 9 mm 100 rounds. Worth far more you need it! :eek:

without proper medical training, not sure I want to expose myself to potential liability with a complete stranger.
Agree. However, if it seems likely the stranger will die without treatment, and there is no one else to render aid, I'd very likely do what I could within the limits of the basic training I have. I carry a chest decompression needle in my med kit but this is for use by someone else on the scene who is trained to use it. Improper use possibly fatal. Another reason to have a basic med kit close at hand: for someone more qualified to use in the event no other med supplies available.

I keep a medkit bag in the trunk of my car,
Excellent! However, keep in mind that some gunshot wounds can result in bleeding to death in a minute or three. If a negligent discharge severs a femoral artery (think "Glock leg") you may not have time or be able to retrieve from your car. At many if not most indoor ranges, there are others who can probably render aid quickly. At an outdoor range, or in the woods on your own, maybe not.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
WRT not having medical training, there is some legitimacy to not treating others, especially strangers; however, if no one else is there and you stand by doing nothing you can just as well be cited for rendering no aid at all. These tourniquets come with instructions, and anyone can learn CPR and get certified. As long as you can provide testimony that you followed directions/training in doing what you could to save the life of someone your odds of being prosecuted are slim. Being sued in civil court is another matter, but again, as long as you can talk about what you did having followed directions and training then it is not likely any judge will rule against you. If you just walk away from a bleeding victim; however, you could be cited.

Reactions: NHnewbie

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Good Samaritan laws are on the books in all 50 states. Odds are good that as long as you aren't doing something to make it worse, you'll have ZERO liability.
It is not that easy. In my case, having had significant training (and certification) for volunteer organizations, and having let those lapse, if I so much as accept a bottle of water while working with someone, I open myself for both criminal and civil issues.

You would be amazed what families will do to take YOUR money if you save their family member, but there is some lingering issue they want to blame on you. Civil and Criminal cases can be very different.

I tend to say Odds are, if no one knows you were there, you might have zero liability. But with the videos on every phone, unless it is my family, or I am required by law to assist, my mantra is now "Keep Driving".

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
You would be amazed what families will do to take YOUR money if you save their family member, but there is some lingering issue they want to blame on you.
Definite truth to this as well! I've seen it happen more than once, and in some cases it is for no other reason than to try to get money. That said, the basic attempts like applying pressure to stop the bleeding and performing CPR are all but expected in dire situations, and if you do nothing at all you are very likely going to get sued in civil court. If you're going to get sued anyway, it will look better if you at least tried to do something than nothing at all. A lot of the times these cases never make it to court anyway. Law suits are designed to get money without ever going to court.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts