SIG Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

The local gunsmith told me they were backed up for a month. I bought a MagPul PRS for my Sig716 Patrol. I picked up a tube, buffer, and new spring from Slash's Heavy Buffers.

What tools do I need to remove the existing carbine tube and castle nut, and to install the new stock (besides allen wrenches)? I figure it's cheaper (and faster) to just order the tools online and do it myself.

I know I need an armorer's wrench but not sure what else. Any one of you who may have already done this mod, I'd definitely appreciate the help. Links to amazon/brownells where I can pick this stuff up would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Willis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah - so the castle nut is also staked. Not sure how to deal with that. Might have to suck it up and wait til' the gunsmith is free...

·
Premium Member
18,373 Posts
I would recommend you consider a couple factors before attempting this. First, what is your mechanical aptitude? If you have a good inclination for tinkering, you may want to proceed. Next, how willing are you to be without the gun, should something go wrong? You may damage or lose a spring or two and need to find replacements.

As far as removing the stakes on the castle, you will have to do some cutting, I use a Dremel with a cut-off tool. (one of the few times I'll ever take a Dremel to a firearm!) No way around that. You will need to purchase a replacement castle nut or re-use the one you have cobbled up.

Just a couple things for you to consider prior to going full bore into this project. It is not that difficult to do, but there are some mighty fine (as in small) springs involved that require a knack to get back together.

If I were you, I don't think I would use my 716 as a learning project. But if you do decide to, DO WEAR YOUR EYE PROTECTION!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah - so the castle nut is also staked. Not sure how to deal with that. Might have to suck it up and wait til' the gunsmith is free...
Swapped mine out today with an armorers wrench and a rubber mallet. You'll need a vice and a piece of wood to fit snugly into magwell to secure the rifle. Put the wrench on the castle and give it a wack. cake work. I live right up 83 near Maryland line if you need a hand. :thumbsu:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts