SIG Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made a tool for removing the extractor pin that must be driven out from the bottom of the slide? Seems like you could just carefully grind down a 3/32in punch until it clears the lip on the slide and engages the pin.

Between not having a punch for this pin and also needing to remove my RDS to get it out its just enough of a PITA i have never removed the extractor on this gun a its past due for a good cleaning.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes exactly like that! 3mm half moon I guess is the correct name for it lol. Seems like a one beer job with an angle grinder to make one assuming I can find a quality 3mm punch that wont just bend if I cut half of the meat off

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,785 Posts
That's the one saudadeii pointed out, which you figured out it's premise. I believe he states, he uses a 1/8" punch. It's actually a 3mm pin though.

The original punch (shown below) used to be sold through Brownells, and Sig actually purchased them for their Armorers Kits, I believe.

Then they "disappeared" from the marketplace, and Matrix picked up the slack by grinding down the Starrett pin punches. I think I would use a 1/16" tapered starter punch to "loosen" the coiled pin, then drive it out just enough with the half-round punch to remove the Extractor. Trying to drive out a "stuck pin" with the half-round punch would likely end up with a short life span.

Attachments

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,785 Posts
Yes exactly like that! 3mm half moon I guess is the correct name for it lol. Seems like a one beer job with an angle grinder to make one assuming I can find a quality 3mm punch that wont just bend if I cut half of the meat off
Since punches need a little "hardness" is would be better to use a surface grinder, so as to not "overheat" the punch, and alter its hardness.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the one saudadeii pointed out, which you figured out it's premise. I believe he states, he uses a 1/8" punch. It's actually a 3mm pin though.

The original punch (shown below) used to be sold through Brownells, and Sig actually purchased them for their Armorers Kits, I believe.

Then they "disappeared" from the marketplace, and Matrix picked up the slack by grinding down the Starrett pin punches. I think I would use a 1/16" tapered starter punch to "loosen" the coiled pin, then drive it out just enough with the half-round punch to remove the Extractor. Trying to drive out a "stuck pin" with the half-round punch would likely end up with a short life span.
Yah I'm not sure about this new design with the long extractor. I have never liked bringing hammers around my guns for driving out various pins and this one just seems like an increased possibility of problems. Im sure its easy enough once you have the right tools but sure makes for a good excuse to not disassemble the slide.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Bought my punch and new pins from Top Gun Supply.

Reactions: Bradler
1 - 7 of 7 Posts